Is Sydney in the Media Eye?

Can any local Sydney siders tell me if there is or has been any or much mention of Property Booming stories/headlines in the local newspapers, TV / Radio programs of late?

There was an article on the news yesterday re the high amount of auctions this weekend, with vendors trying to get a sale before easter.

Regards
Marty

Yeah, there was something said about X amount $$ of property either up for auction or for sale, but nothing about clearance rates (that I heard) or sales. The average Joe probably hasn't noticed that prices are slowly rising in some areas, and probably a lot more in others.

I just heard a headline stating "Sydney's housing shortage forcing people out and prices up."

Apparently auction clearance rates are through the roof at 73%, while they are slowing in Melbourne and much lower again in Brisbane. The presenter stated that Sydney is not in a boom, it is simply a case of supply and demand, and there are not enough properties in Sydney. Expect prices to keep rising, about 10% this year, as well as rental prices increasing as well.

Does that help?

I don't read the sunday papers but my wife does and last weekend headlines I(yep front page Sunday tele) were something like..."your house will double" and this weekend it all over the financial section according to my wife....
I only read the AFR weekend edition and it's been kept in focus last few weekends not to mention this weekends as well....

I'd have to say yes...it's all over the press....and they are not letting up....focus this weekend is on inner west suburbs going balistic. with a quote from AFR;'s Lifestyle liftout story about buyers paying a premium for rundown properties in inner SYD...and how they could purchase a house that's not dilapidated further down the road for less money...seems the reno'ers are on the move at any cost in inner circle....

Next we'll be seeing those TV shows like Hot Auctions, Location, location and others on the scene - turning up late to the party as usual :rolleyes:

Well channel 9 announced the other day that they're bringing back The Block - so we're already getting there.

Well there you go, this will just add more fuel on the fire....telling the masses its on :rolleyes:

I arrived 15 minutes into an Open yesterday for a 2brm red brick unit and joined a long que of lookers that wound its way up staircases and took about 20 minutes to get to the front door.

I overheard one woman say a few stairs below me, "well I did not expect this much interest for this (kind of property)". I bit my tongue, but I wanted to ask her which rock she'd been hiding under since 1/7/09 when this all started to go balistic :eek:

Shows how little attention I pay to the media. Now that someone has posted and it's on my radar, so to speak, I noticed that there is an article tomorrow on one of the current affairs shows.

So, maybe I'm wrong and there is a bit of media attention.

There seems to have been masses in the media lately with regards to property. I know the suburb in which we own a place has been highlighted heavily in various media articles lately as a very strong investment. This has helped to push up prices considerably. As an example an old 3 bedroom, brick ex-Aboriginal Housing Corp house (land approx 280 square meters) that had been totally trashed (as in - all windows smashed out, grafitti everywhere, walls trashed - a total reno would be required just to make it liveable - recently sold for $900k. Just crazy! It seems people are really seeking those "renovators dream" properties and are willing to pay top dollar....even more than for a totally renovated place of the same size down the street!!

last few weekends the sunday papers have had the 'boom' themed articles.

the daily tele generally has an article every few days

today i heard on 101.7 a whole hour devoted to property talk with UK guru andrew someone (he was saying to hold off buying by the way).

seems a far cry from the 60 mins stories of last year about the coming collapse!!

property is the flavour of the month again!!!

im looking for my second IP, but i reckon with super saturday every weekend seemingly, you gotta be on the ball to get a good deal or willing to pay overs because the property ticks all your investment boxes.

It seems people are really seeking those "renovators dream" properties and are willing to pay top dollar....even more than for a totally renovated place of the same size down the street!!

This is exactly what happened last boom. People paid more to be able to put their own "stamp" on it and paid more for unrenovated.

I subscribe to a Chinese satellite television network called Jadeworld and it comes out of Sydney but draws most of its content from Hong Kong but with Sydney based advertising. It has Sydney driven news coverage but also news direct from Hong Kong. All the shows/content are in Cantonese and many Australian based Chinese subscribe to this as it consists of local content as well as content from HK and China.

They have their own news gathering services and usually don't "borrow" or use footage from Austalian news services. That is, they have their own journalists, talking heads, presenters and vox pops on their news services.

Anyway, on the Australian news roundup last night (Monday), there was an article about the high auction clearance rates in Sydney and how people are paying way over the reserve cost. They showed clips from recent auctions and talked about how the vendors are getting more than they expected for auction. They also mentioned the housing shortage.

I don't know if the same theme has been on the local commercial networks though as i don't watch them.

Thanks

g

As an example an old 3 bedroom, brick ex-Aboriginal Housing Corp house (land approx 280 square meters) that had been totally trashed (as in - all windows smashed out, grafitti everywhere, walls trashed - a total reno would be required just to make it liveable - recently sold for $900k.

Was that in Malakoff St, Marrickville? - the one I mentioned in the "crazy prices" thread?

If so, I was talking to the selling agent, and he claimed the two next door neighbours got into a bidding war that went way beyond reasonable - I am guessing either with a view to development of both sites - or of preventing repeat tenants of the kind who had trashed the place ever getting back in... :rolleyes:

Back