Is the Buy and Hold Method still an appropriate strategy for building wealth?

residential property is well above the trend line and is overvalued by at least 20%-30%.

If property is overvalued by 30%, then that means a property valued at $300k should be $200k. Assuming property doubles about every 10 years, this means if prices drop to where they should be, it will regain lost ground in 5 years and then just keep on going up.

The expedential rise in prices as a result of very generous credit conditions, and their recent tightening could be a valid reason as to why the buy and hold strategy may not work as quickly or effectively in the immediate future.

So the above could be true, but the important thing are the words "immediate future". Since buy and hold strategy looks longer than this, its not a problem.

Even if values drop or stay stagnant for a while, they will eventually start rising again at least with inflation. With gearing, there will always be money to be made.

didn't michael jordan sum it up perfectly....?

"...i've missed over 1000 shots in my career. but everyone only remembers the shots that made a difference - because when those slam dunks were there - i took the shot..."

I still think buy and hold is a good strategy. It might not act quite as fast in building wealth as it has in the past decade, but I still think it is a stable and successful strategy that will continue to work into the future.

I have a 15 year goal im working towards, and i have a very passive investment style. So buy and hold works well for me, and will continue to do so.
Just need to watch my cashflow to keep it at a manageable level, and re-invest profits and excess cashflow into buying more property. Simple really.

Its not rocket surgery.

I still think buy and hold is a good strategy. It might not act quite as fast in building wealth as it has in the past decade, but I still think it is a stable and successful strategy that will continue to work into the future.

I have a 15 year goal im working towards, and i have a very passive investment style. So buy and hold works well for me, and will continue to do so.
Just need to watch my cashflow to keep it at a manageable level, and re-invest profits and excess cashflow into buying more property. Simple really.

Its not rocket surgery.

Seems as though the guy in your avatar has had some 'rocket surgery' :p

I think it has never been more important to buy and hold than right now.

With so much uncertainty in most factors of Property Investing atm we can be certain of one thing:

Property Values will Increase.

We may not have a "Boom" but I certainly think we will have steady growth.

Regards JO

I like buy and hold.

I'd also add 'gear up' as much as you can, within your limits and with a buffer. You'll never get rich with 1 IP.

Even if you're only getting ~5% growth for the forseeable future a portfolio of $2m (i.e. 4 to 5 median priced properties) will experience $100k pa in growth.

Even if you're only getting ~5% growth for the forseeable future a portfolio of $2m (i.e. 4 to 5 median priced properties) will experience $100k pa in growth.
Yep,

And assuming your rental yield is about the same 5% odd then each year that $100K pa goes up at around inflation assuming demand and supply are nicely balanced and not impacting the price either way. Even at 3% inflation, that becomes $103K pa next year and $106.09K the year after. By then your debt is either the same or slightly reduced but now you've got an extra $6K pa in free income.

After 10 years holding that portfolio its gone from being worth $2M to being worth $2.8M. Its also gone from generating $100K pa in neutral income to generating $140K pa in income leaving $40K pa cash flow positive to either reduce the debt or live off.

I love buy and hold.

Cheers,
Michael

What he said, and thats being conservative.

Talking bout the $2M-$2.8M in 10 years.
It could quite realistically look like $2M-$4M in that 10 years.
But people have never believed property could double in that time.. :)
But look what happened! ;)

The only notion that will change these rough figures is interest rates and how you use that profit, ie if you purchased more property increasing debt and rents.
But at some stage, one must stop accumulating and let compound growth work its magic. Or sell some stock or, the sky's the limit really.

Yep,

And assuming your rental yield is about the same 5% odd then each year that $100K pa goes up at around inflation assuming demand and supply are nicely balanced and not impacting the price either way. Even at 3% inflation, that becomes $103K pa next year and $106.09K the year after. By then your debt is either the same or slightly reduced but now you've got an extra $6K pa in free income.

After 10 years holding that portfolio its gone from being worth $2M to being worth $2.8M. Its also gone from generating $100K pa in neutral income to generating $140K pa in income leaving $40K pa cash flow positive to either reduce the debt or live off.

I love buy and hold.

Cheers,
Michael

Yep,

I love buy and hold.

Cheers,
Michael

I love buy and hold... cos even with such uber-conservative growth figures, it still works.

I love buy and hold... cos even with such uber-conservative growth figures, it still works.
Sure does!

Using the above example and assuming you started neutrally geared at a 50% LVR then you had $1M in equity in that $2M portfolio and no spare income from it.

BUT, in 10 years time you've almost doubled your equity to $1.8M and now have $40K pa in passive income. And all that from "doing nothing". i.e. Just sitting tight and letting uber-conservative inflation level growth do its thing. In my personal opinion, there is no better way of generating wealth than by buy and hold residential property investment.

If you've got some way to tap the accelerator every now and again through some value add to the portfolio then even better. Buy properties with potential and build in that potential as you go along. Peter Spann did it through reno's, Michael Yardney prefers developments. Whatever your flavour, a little bit of engineered equity can turn a good strategy into a great one!

Cheers,
Michael

Using the above example and assuming you started neutrally geared at a 50% LVR then you had $1M in equity in that $2M portfolio and no spare income from it.

I agree with the jist of your posts, but who of us started at 50% LVR 1mil equity?
In the beginning it takes a while to get there.
And since everybody advocates buying as much as you can as fast as you can, then how many years before you get to that 50% LVR /1mil equity?
Most here also think 100% lend + LMI negative geared IP is ok, how many decades before they reach 50% LVR /1mil equity?

Sure those that started buying last few yrs are getting better deals (told u so!)
but unless you can find a way to push it along with some extra cashflow or low cost value add, it's a 20-30yr ride.

Doubling equity to $1.8 million sounds great but you have to pick the right 10 years. Property doubles every ten years only when looked at a long time frame.

I had houses that tripled in 6 years and others that done squat for 10 years. Depends when in the cycle you buy.

Besides that $1.8 million ain't what it was 10 years ago. The true value is probably the same as $1 million was 10 years ago.

Its just sounds good.

Doubling equity to $1.8 million sounds great but you have to pick the right 10 years. Property doubles every ten years only when looked at a long time frame.

I had houses that tripled in 6 years and others that done squat for 10 years. Depends when in the cycle you buy.

Besides that $1.8 million ain't what it was 10 years ago. The true value is probably the same as $1 million was 10 years ago.

Its just sounds good.
Hi Evand,

Some good points, and I agree with the importance of timing the cycle.

But, to be clear, the example above was run with 3% annual growth in line with inflation. The portfolio of $2M didn't double, just the equity position assuming a 50% LVR.

But you're correct that the capital gain is all nominal. In real terms its zero as its tracking inflation. But the increased cash flow is real. The true benefit of the asset class is the ability to lock in debt at a point in time and have the asset hold its value in real terms whilst that debt depreciates in real terms. At the same time you've got a steady rental income in real terms which progressively turns more and more positive cash flow as your interest bill is also depreciating in real terms. Sorry if that's a bit technical for some, but its the gist of the value of buying an asset of this nature.

The bonus is you can buy quite a large asset and get significant financial returns given the amount of leverage that can be employed and the preferential taxation treatment of it. So for very little down, you get some very big growth. In the example above, that $2M is not cash. You could probably have put in 20% or $400K and borrowed the remaining $1.6M and still be neutrally geared. $800K return over 10 years on $400K invested is a pretty good outcome and more than beats the inflation rate of return.

So long as it is neutrally geared or better then someone else is funding your asset's interest obligations and you get to pocket the leveraged capital gains even if they're just inflation rate.

So, if you can invest $400K today and get zero income off it (as its all reinvested in servicing interest assuming neutral gearing), but can be pretty sure it will grow to be worth $1.2M in 10 years, would that be a good investment? Thats an IRR of about 15%, or a total return of 292% over 10 years on the equity invested. And by year 5, the incremental rental income on that $2M investment achieved through inflation and cash flow positive is worth about 5% pa on the initial $400K equity. So by year 5 your getting 5% return as cash flow on your initial equity and growing so the cash flow opportunity cost of investing is offset.

All a bit technical, but again, its leverage that delivers the stellar returns of this asset class. And I'm not talking 100% leverage. Above I've assumed neutral and $400K hard won cash invested at 80% LVR.

Just to be pedantic, the interest on that $1.6M loan at even 7.5% interest rates would be $120K pa and and a touch negative given the touted $100K pa rental income assuming a 5% yield. By year 5 this is neutral when the rent rises by the $20K I mentioned above. That's why I advocate 20% odd deposits when building the portfolio as it gives you a nice servicability picture whilst also giving you a good whack of leverage so you can benefit from the inflation rate growth of the capital value. In time, that LVR improves and with it your cash flows. You can also get some good non cash deductions such as depreciation and use the negative gearing cash back against your salaried income to supplement the servicability. So, the $20K shortfall might be a lot less than this.

Again, sorry of too technical, but understanding this stuff is at the heart of succesful buy and hold resi property investing.

Cheers,
Michael

That's why I advocate 20% odd deposits when building the portfolio as it gives you a nice serviceability picture whilst also giving you a good whack of leverage so you can benefit from the inflation rate growth of the capital value. In time, that LVR improves and with it your cash flows. You can also get some good non cash deductions such as depreciation and use the negative gearing cash back against your salaried income to supplement the servicability. So, the $20K shortfall might be a lot less than this.
Cheers,
Michael

Me too! Gotta get the machine humming from the start.

4. If it is'nt CF+, then make it!
5. If you can't make it CF+ quickly, the market is too hot or you dont yet have enough $$$.
6. LMI is bad, and means your LVR is too high.

sorry but i hate people talking about something being CF+ at 80%.

uness you physically SAVED the 20% from cash and haven't borrowed it form elsewhere then it will work.

if you've x-col'd against your house or whatever for the deposit, then you're still paying holding on 100% of the purchase price - therefore, it won't be CF+.

true CF+ is income greater than outgoings - INCLUDING rates, water, PM fees etc. not just rent vs interest.

Back