Is the Great Australian Dream Still Alive ?

I don't think this was ever the "Australian Dream". As Monopoly says, owning a home was the dream, not necessarily on a big block, close to CBD and beach.

well i think the big block is definitely part of the dream, proximity to CBD probably isn't, you're right in that regard

well i think the big block is definitely part of the dream, proximity to CBD probably isn't, you're right in that regard

I suppose it depends on what the "normal" for the area was. My grandparents built their house on a 16 perch block in Morningside, which was "normal" so hardly a big block, but I suppose it seems big compared to an 8 perch block that can be built in similar areas today.

The other thing is that because of the war, they were only allowed enough timber to build a two bedroom house (with three children). That also was fairly "normal" for the area.

I suppose it depends on what the "normal" for the area was. My grandparents built their house on a 16 perch block in Morningside, which was "normal" so hardly a big block, but I suppose it seems big compared to an 8 perch block that can be built in similar areas today.

The other thing is that because of the war, they were only allowed enough timber to build a two bedroom house (with three children). That also was fairly "normal" for the area.

This is why we should establish what the current Australian Dream is. I think it would be something like 600sqm+ with a 3/1/1 house 30mins drive to CBD? Is that about right? 'Normal'?

Hi zed

No, dreams are each unique to the dreamer

Dreams do not present themselves as specific, attainable objects or situations

The Great Australian Dream is a Home Of One's Own.

Nobody said anything about a triple fronted cream brick veneer on a quarter acre block within a tram's ride from the General Post Office.

The Australians of the Dream Time (post War Australia) were as diverse as we are today, in fact, 'Australians' did not live in cities or industrialised areas if they could help it. Wide, brown land and all that.

It was post-War immigration from Europe which started the incongruity of inner suburban city living and outer suburban family blocks with space for a few fruit trees and a gaggle of chooks (yes, I know it's a gaggle of geese but you get my drift).

Only in the past ten years has there been residential living in Melbourne - there simply was no residential space before that. The industrial 'worker's cottages' were built in clusters around the specific factories, in the English worker village style, so that people could walk to work but it was not generally considered that these dwelling could be bought privately, just as people did not consider that they could buy the State Electricity Commission or the Housing Commission houses. (until post-War demand, see above!)

The Dream is diverse and changes throughout our lifetimes.

We may dream of an acre or two with chooks and horses, or a penthouse apartment with views to the horizon. and in our lifetime we can actually aspire to own many versions of The Dream.

So far in my life, I have owned and occupied (in order):

New Two storey town house in not-quite middle ring suburb (views of the city)
New Multi level house on 2,000m2 (true half acre) in green belt area with views of the Dandenongs
New Large, sprawling house on 4,300m2 (true acre) with long valley views over rural properties
Architect designed 1970s house on 1,700m2 amongst the gum trees but on the bus route
New two storey family home on 621m2 in modern court five minutes walk to bus
Spec built 1980s two storey family home on 990m2 in estate court five minutes walk to bus

we will be moving to

New two storey family home on 460m2 in 1920s Melbourne bayside subdivision (views of the Bay)

Actually, for an Australian I have lived in a lot of houses with stairs, yet most Australian houses are single storey!

Drat all those Girls Own Annuals and stories of Anne at Green Gables. The 'house with stairs' dream has infiltrated my subconscious!

Keep dreaming. There are many versions and variations.

But the commonality is

the House has to be Your Own!

No point in dreaming about any one else's house. The Great Australian Dream is A HOUSE OF MY OWN!

Cheers
Kristine

Good post Kristine, thanks for that. I understand that everyone’s dreams are different I was trying to identify an over all dream, a control, for this experiment / discussion.

For the record my dream is a penthouse close to work (southbank in Melbourne would be nice) and a small house / townhouse on the beach... not sure where in Australia though, if in Australia at all... Nice looks nice, oooh a pun!

thanks for the sharing digs75.

So far compare to the American dream, Australian dream has its up and down:

+: balanced lifestyle and work ratio, friendlier people in general, general welfare is well maintained.

-: High property price everywhere, high Utility bill, high cost of services and goods.

Don't forget that Aussies, on average, earn about 50% more than Americans. Local prices reflect that.

Ah... previously I thought that because the Australian tax is higher than in US so yes pardon me I forgot to include that into the equation above.

so at the end of the day it is all almost the same

AU: High salary with High Tax rate means lesser extra money but better welfare
US: High salary with lower tax rate means more extra money but with lesser welfare.

Ah... previously I thought that because the Australian tax is higher than in US so yes pardon me I forgot to include that into the equation above.

so at the end of the day it is all almost the same

AU: High salary with High Tax rate means lesser extra money but better welfare
US: High salary with lower tax rate means more extra money but with lesser welfare.

I'm really not sure - some time on google would probably tell me. One thing to remember, though, is that the yank pay taxes differently to here in Oz. For example, they have state and city income taxes on top of their federal income taxes, and they have property taxes that are often much higher than here too.

It's not easy to compare directly. Given the number of people they have who seem to earn stuff all and live on or below the poverty line, I'd suggest our average disposable income would have to be a fair bit higher.

I'm really not sure - some time on google would probably tell me. One thing to remember, though, is that the yank pay taxes differently to here in Oz. For example, they have state and city income taxes on top of their federal income taxes, and they have property taxes that are often much higher than here too.

It's not easy to compare directly. Given the number of people they have who seem to earn stuff all and live on or below the poverty line, I'd suggest our average disposable income would have to be a fair bit higher.

Indeed. State income and sales taxes in the US can be significant.

Mmm indeed. I know in Vegas they have this lovely mandatory gratuities thing, at one night club my mandatory gratuity came to 20% of the total bill... plus they expected a tip on top... lovely
Hardly a comparison to state and/or federal taxes on property!!

Gratuity is NOT a tax, it's a service charge. Customers in some places (not all) are charged this as customer service workers in that establishment are on minimum wages!! When this is applied to a customer's bill, it is NOT expected that you must tip as well. If you do tip (on top of this) of course that is most appreciated, but is generally not something they EXPECT or indeed get bent out of shape about!!

Hardly a comparison to state and/or federal taxes on property!!

Gratuity is NOT a tax, it's a service charge. Customers in some places (not all) are charged this as customer service workers in that establishment are on minimum wages!! When this is applied to a customer's bill, it is NOT expected that you must tip as well. If you do tip (on top of this) of course that is most appreciated, but is generally not something they EXPECT or indeed get bent out of shape about!!

They always expect a tip

Back