Is The Sydney Property Market Cooling Down? | Pete Wargent

This landed in my inbox. Thought I'd share. Source: http://propertyupdate.com.au/sydney-property-market-cooling-pete-wargent/

In addition to the data, the closing sentence is of particular interest.

There have been a few articles recently suggesting that the Sydney property market is cooling down.

I?d say that on balance, from what I have seen at any rate, there does seem to be a fraction less panic buying than there was in December at the end of last year.

Auction clearance rates were almost certain to slip too as vendors raised their expectations.

I?d caution, though, that much of what gets reported on property markets is half-baked opinion at best, and frequently is based on very little genuine research.

Why so?

Sometimes it?s just laziness, I guess.

On other occasions, it seems to be quite likely that people aren?t really clever enough to interpret data so they just repeat what they hear other people saying until eventually it becomes gospel.

Property markets are much about sentiment so this is certainly important to gauge, but you have to listen to what the data is telling you too.

Lending Finance March 2014

No need to listen to hearsay today, however, let?s just analyse the data for ourselves.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) released its Lending Finance March 2014 data today here.

You likely won?t see this widely reported since the ABS time series spreadsheets are notoriously cumbersome and awkward to navigate.

If you?re prepared to dig a little and extend a scintilla of scrutiny, you?ll find that in the year to March 2014 New South Wales property investor lending has increased at a fearsome pace to what is comfortably the greatest level in the entire history of the state.

I mean, by a wide, wide margin.

Not only that, the data produces a chart that is turning full on parabolic, with the pace of property investor lending increasing at an apparently exponential rate.

If you take this as equating to a gently slowing or peacefully cooling property market in Sydney, well, I s?pose you could be right?but I reckon you read the data set slightly differently to the way I do.

Take a look and judge for yourself :

NSWinvestorfinance.jpg

The value of property investor lending in New South Wales on a rolling annual basis is a colossal 43% higher than it was only a year ago, and, outrageously is now almost 75% higher than where it was only at the beginning of 2012.

After their apparently bold 15-20% Sydney 2014 property boom prediction, I suspect that SQM Research are looking at today?s data and reasoning that they may not be too far wide of the mark.

which is why I suspect APRA or others will soon jump on Investor LVRs to a max of 80% for a while............... assuming the govt wants to get involved and play in what looks to be an efficient market.

RBA cant reign in the speed of growth of house prices without killing an already sluggish economy, which is likely to clam upeven further with fed budget cuts and a very likely increase to the GST to 12 %

PPOR lvrs I expect will be left untouched.

I dont know that id want to be holding Genworth shares in 6 mths time

Having said all that.............. Sydney house prices generally went sideways from 2003 to 2012, and prices are likely to keep rising due due influx of foreign money looking for a safe haven, and high rental yields seemingly driven by a lack of available stock.

Just as well then that the Fed Gov left neg gearing untouched............

ta
rolf

Personally I'd be hesitant to rely on the data presented for current projections. This data lags what's happening now and is only useful for verifying the trend after the fact. Quarterly or annualised data is too dated by the time it's released. If you relied on this data to make a decision you have already missed that 15-20% growth.

Looking at clearance rates for Sydney, the markets been very strong for the first 3 months (Jan-Mar) of the year and have started softening from April.
What's happening is I think some areas are still going really strong, others have definitely started to cool (not seeing the same panicked rush/exuberance).

In saying that you would expect a slight easing after a big rush.

Not cooling off in Coogee thank goodness. Unit in same block as ours just sold (24th May at auction) for a pretty good price in my opinion. Go Sydney. I want another 10% at least this year. Want to double the value we paid by 2018. Well on track at moment after a couple of slow years (bought 2010).

If it is slowing down then somebody better tell the hundreds of people attending open houses in the west and SW of Sydney. I can't get my foot in the door, so to speak, lol.

The market is slowing in parts of my suburb (western Sydney). One part is undesirable and the other is the cheap section where some buyers refuse to go. There's been a distinct fall in prices since December. In the better parts of the suburb there are still some crazy prices and masses of people at the opens.

I went to an open for a potential development site at outer western Sydney on the weekend. I expected a deluge of people but less than 10 showed up. I think we all made offers and the place is now under contract but I had expected much larger numbers at the open.

Closer to the city seems to be going mad now.

It certainly was expected that things would ease up a bit in April due in part to the double-whammy of long weekends, and after the frenzy of late last year.

I'd noticed a slight lull in the inner west, but things seem to be moving along again. Plenty of stuff selling prior to auction, achieving good prices etc. On saturday, I inspected a studio to which a surprisingly large handful of people showed up. Unit rents look to be on the move as well (in Marrickville, at least).

I imagine the low end (west etc) will moderate soonest, then the middle market, then the prestige stuff (which is presently very strong). Even with moderate growth from here out, Sydney would finish the year with a strong result.

Rolf makes good point about the sideways price movement in Sydney too. My semi-functional crystal ball suggests there's a lot of "catching up" to be done.

Pete Wargent also posted this. Check out the 10 year data for Sydney compared to elsewhere:

1Houses.jpg

2units.jpg

some bright person can seasonally adjust the figures too please.

Typically coming into winter things do slow, and come into swing again in early to mid Spring

ta
rolf

There seems to be less of a panic due to all the news and media about prices coming to a steady hold for the second half of 2014. Where this came from, I don't know. It could be a generalisation about how prices cannot continue to rise. I?ve been attending 2 - 3 apartment inspections over the past 3 ? 4 months. On average, you have about 10 ? 20 people (sometimes 50) inspecting on the first opening. There is usually only about 2 ? 3 interested in each unit with one paying a chunk more than the rest. You will usually get the 50s attending when the agent decides to put the offers over xxx at a really low price.

We could be in a situation where the minority who are willing to pay top dollar has secured their place, and the rest of the average Joes are the one left in the market taking it easy and in no rush to pay top dollar until we hit the next cylce.

Having said all of the above, you still have certain areas that attract a lot of interest and buyers. Wolli Creek for example, most properties are gone on first inspection depending on its location within the suburb.

I think that ten year growth figure is the most telling thing in this post . < 4 % for the last ten years even including the last year . That puts it back in reality

It'll also make a better headline for next spring ....

The boom is back ....:cool:

Cliff

Redfern

Approx 50 people viewing a 1 bed 1 bath unit in Redfern on Saturday.

Mix of investors & FHB's.

As MightyWill said - offers over $400K would have generated the interest

Just when I thought it was cooling last weekends clearance rate was 79% again. I suspect it will keep bubbling along until rates go up and that seems a long ways off now.

That median growth over 10 years graph is the money. Always said Syd had some catching up to do. Some crazy prices were paid around 2002-2003 which are only just being challenged now and in the mean time the bottom has risen up.

Prices are too hot for me, after 19 years in the Sydney market, I'm out.
I've seen what happens in other countries when speculators start to dominate, time to exit.

I've seen what happens in other countries when speculators start to dominate, time to exit.

Based on this, you must have good reason to believe the supply/demand situation in Sydney is going to change significantly. Soon.

According to the Residex index, Sydney house prices are up nearly 50% since Steve Keen said they would crash 40% (and sold his Sydney home based on that belief)...

If the current rate of growth (or even a bit lower) continues, then the Sydney median house price could hit $1 million next year (currently $822K).

Residex_Sydney_April_2014.png~original

I agree!

Imo a recession is around the corner and boom will end 2018 and correction ahead.

Gear up tasty times ahead :)

Cheers Spades.

Hi Shadow

Interesting to see that Sydney prices are below their long term trend line.

Typically , you'd expect them to be over the trend line before they risk turning down .........

Cliff

Back