Is the vendor required to remove rubbish?

Just sold an IP for an "unconditional cash offer" 28 day settlement, no building inspection etc the place is pretty much a demo job

After I signed sale agreement agent called me to let me know buyer had also signed and he oragnised a conveyancer.

He then said the buyer wants me to remove an old mattress in the house and a cupboards that the tenant left behind. Which is easy enough.

But also wants me to remove a whole heap of rubbish/pavers that have been there from before I bought the place.

Am I required to do this?

depends on your contract, with you asking the question I would say the rubbish wasn't part of the inclusion and just had standard inclusions.

Meaning anything that isn't fixed or a fitting needs to be removed.

A house near me sold recently, as a rear lane access and an old derelict caravan in the back yard. Caravan has rusty frame so cannot be simply towed away.

I know that the caravan was an inclusion on the contract of sale, because vendor did not want the hassle (or argument with buyer) of getting rid of it themselves.

Put a free ad on gumtree and someone might come for the pavers.

I trimmed my mums garden yesterday and had some agave plants that I couldn't fit in her green bin.

Put them in the side of the road and put on gumtree and facebook. Took down the gumtree ad after ten minutes because I had three calls. They were gone within the hour, easily a trailer load.

The facebook was less successful but I do have to go over and cut two more down because a friend wants some :)

A useful tool when a buyer isn't ready to settle as we found out, we had left a few cans of paint in the garage that matched paint used in the house. The buyer made us remove to give him an extra couple of days!

One thing to watch for is sealed tins and drums with unidentified stuff in it. Could be old sump oil, chemicals or pesticide. Tips don't like taking it (as in, may refuse) and it may end up having to be treated as hazardous waste which is expensive.

Will definitely get rid of everything then as I have another property set for settlement 1 month after I get the funds from this one. Everyday counts

Back