Is there a legal head height for a bathroom?

With our current IP renovation close to finished, we had another tenant leave a week ago where we have decided to improve the house before putting in a new tenant.

This is a 1960 brick house with good enough head height underneath for comfortable use as a rumpus room, but it is not "legal" height. The "bedroom" downstairs must be called a "store room" but has been used as a bedroom by various tenants.

We are pricing up cutting through the handyman laid concrete floor to enlarge the toilet and make it a small bathroom. That will give the house a second bathroom.

Whilst we can never call the downstairs bedroom a "bedroom" I'm thinking there are different rules regarding head height for bathrooms, and we could legally call it a "bathroom" for rent adverts and for sale adverts.

I don't want to spend $10K doing this and feel this cost is wasted if we can never legally call it a "bathroom".

As its not a habitable room, bathrooms kitchens etc do not have the 2.4 m height requirement. From what I recall its around 2m.

As its not a habitable room, bathrooms kitchens etc do not have the 2.4 m height requirement. From what I recall its around 2m.

Yep,

Also I think you can get away with a lower roof height in habitable areas if the roof slopes to the right height at some point, don't know the exact rules for this.

Also I think you can get away with a lower roof height in habitable areas if the roof slopes to the right height at some point, don't know the exact rules for this.

Raked ceilings can be lower than 2.4 so long as the average/mid point is 2.4.

Thanks for the answers. No rake on the ceilings as it is under the main floor, but my question is answered.

And it is higher than 2 metres so looks like it might be a goer.

How good is SS? :)

Is there any logical explanation as to why you can shower in a room with a 2m height but need another 40cm to sleep in it or watch tv in it?

Back