Is there a way for landlords to join forces and boycott kmart?

FL, how long have you lived in Brisbane? This IS Winter. Look outside.

Given global warming, I would say winter lasts about 9-12 days. I had my heater on for two hours one morning in May and it probably wont go on again until the two days it gets cold at the start of August. Half way through August we go back to 30 degree days.

The property's in Brisbane; that would be overkill. Hence why - contrary to your assertion that nobody offered solutions :) - several of us suggested installing reverse cycle A/C.

Apologies I must have missed it.

Surely centralised ducted gas is better for two reasons:

• Cheaper (if you compare against installing 6 small AC head units, one per room - as even if you had one in the lounge room everyone would want their own controllable unit and the warmth wouldn't reach all bedrooms) and
  • They can be centrally set and controlled (to something sensible like 22deg) with the control panel disabled/removed/locked.

Also I would say they are Asian international students (yes/no?) who would come from hotter climates. I remember at Uni our dorm was BOILING all the time even on mild days (two locals, four internationals in a 6 bed dorm).

Surely centralised ducted gas is better for two reasons
1) You need cooling more than heating, so if you're installing an air-con, you may as well make it reverse cycle.
2) Most of Brissie doesn't have gas lines. (You can set up LPG bottles, but don't know if they're up to the task of running a central gas heating system - haven't ever seen one in Brissie.)

FL, how long have you lived in Brisbane? This IS Winter. Look outside.

Given global warming, I would say winter lasts about 9-12 days. I had my heater on for two hours one morning in May and it probably wont go on again until the two days it gets cold at the start of August. Half way through August we go back to 30 degree days.

19 years.

Well students don't think like that.

They think like this: ohh I paid a good $23 for this crappy heater. Better get my money's worth. Even if it's summer I better turn it on for good measures.

Last edited:
19 years.

Well students don't think like that.

They think like this: ohh I paid a good $23 for this crappy heater. Better get my money's worth. Even if it's summer I better turn it on for good measures.

I don't know, the uni students I know are all quite smart, environmentally conscious and certainly budget conscious.

Since they make 2400w of heat compared to the inefficient 2000w heaters KMart sells, that means your students could use them for 20% less time, making it better value for you!

/s

or chew up 25% more power.

How about being more selective in tenant selection. Only get the good looking ones or those willing to share their bed?

aw7b9RB_460s_v1.jpg

Kmart...

You'd never see Big W doing something this treacherous.

Back