Is there a way for landlords to join forces and boycott kmart?

Put a cap on electricity costs in the lease agreements.
It would be simpler and cheaper than legally stopping kmart from selling heaters.

Ok, we get it you have the ability to stalk and follow people from thread to thread. Well done. don't need to over do it to death.

At least I'm generating new content and interesting discussion.

you are generating rubbish content but yes, interesting so well done on that front.

if you dont want your tenants to use rubbish heaters in winter, make the house warmer (insulation, whatever) and provide them with better, more efficient heaters.

it really is that simple. what would you do in their situation? buy an expensive heater for a place you might only be in for a few months?

whyudothiskmart.png

Seriously, with all due respect. Do you think that maybe you really aren't cut out for property investing? You seem to stress out over the silliest things and this kind of stress over the long term (and property is very long term) is really not good for you.
They are students and I am sure every penny is more important to them than even yours are to you. You would find it very hard to pass a charge on, I think, as how can you prove which room is the guilty party?
Maybe after you have 12 months of power bills rework your charges for the inclusions and adjust the room rate accordingly. This set of tenancies you just may have to suck it up and learn from it. Please learn.

Having had a licenced student accommodation (16 rooms x 7 years), I suggest you:

1) install reverse-cycle air-con,
2) get a sparky to wire up each room on a separate meter (all under one master meter, i.e. one account, but enabling you to pass on costs for individual room electricity), or
3) both (which is what I did).

Seriously, students and their crazy habits with electricity usage is one of the most well-known and obvious challenges of this kind of property. What preparation or research did you do?

Having had a licenced student accommodation (16 rooms x 7 years), I suggest you:

1) install reverse-cycle air-con,
2) get a sparky to wire up each room on a separate meter (all under one master meter, i.e. one account, but enabling you to pass on costs for individual room electricity), or
3) both (which is what I did).

Seriously, students and their crazy habits with electricity usage is one of the most well-known and obvious challenges of this kind of property. What preparation or research did you do?

that's actually really good advice. what does it cost to get #2 done per room roughly?

If you had a reverse cycle air con in each room then the students wont need a heater. Of course they will cost you about $1000 each including installation. But think of depreciation and the savings on the electricity each quarter.

Back