Is there a way for landlords to join forces and boycott kmart?

I heard of a student accomdation where only the gas from the stove was not metered and students were turning all 5 burners on and leaving them on all day for free heating. Not sure if they opened a window for fresh air but its something to think about when giving something away to a student.

Fully lucky, the most practical way of preventing the tenants using too much power is to ensure that there are only two power circuits available that is 2 x 15 amp circuits. A heater uses 2400 w which is 10 amps x 240V, that means that they can only plug one heater into each circuit.

soon as they turn on the kettle and microwave oven, they will blow the fuse. They will soon learn how not to use too much power rather than having to go out in the cold to reset the fusebox.

Create a new clause: High ampere mains will be switched off from 10pm to 6am.

Buy a few extra doonas. I think Kmart sells them pretty cheap lol.

Sell all your IPs. Then there will be no tenants that will overuse electricity again! :D

Alternatively, you need to somehow get those $40 per week as a separate cost to supply electricity to students so you can claim tax deduction on it ......

it really is that simple. what would you do in their situation? buy an expensive heater for a place you might only be in for a few months?

That's my point exactly, kmart shouldn't stock these inefficient monstrosities, weapons of mass destruction and only allow the efficient heaters.

Last edited:
Think outside the box man.
Buy all your student tenants some Snuggies, they will love you for it too.

People on here are suggesting buy them this and buy them that. The problem with this is if you supply anything electrical and it breaks then it's your responsibility to replace it and get it fixed...

Who's gonna wash the snuggies?

They are students and I am sure every penny is more important to them than even yours are to you. You would find it very hard to pass a charge on, I think, as how can you prove which room is the guilty party?
Maybe after you have 12 months of power bills rework your charges for the inclusions and adjust the room rate accordingly.

you can prove who's guilty because there will be heat coming out of the bottom of the door. also the inefficient heaters make a far bit of noise that can be heard from outside their room.

Adjust the room rate accordingly? so what, you up the rent by $40 per week? who will rent it?

Last edited:
Having had a licenced student accommodation (16 rooms x 7 years), I suggest you:

1) install reverse-cycle air-con,
2) get a sparky to wire up each room on a separate meter (all under one master meter, i.e. one account, but enabling you to pass on costs for individual room electricity), or
3) both (which is what I did).

Seriously, students and their crazy habits with electricity usage is one of the most well-known and obvious challenges of this kind of property. What preparation or research did you do?

Even though you have 7 years of experience with student accommodation, I still have more experience than you. I'm SME in this field. Thanks for your suggestion but let me break it down for you:
A lot of people think ohhh I'm gonna outsmart the students but you see the more you try to out smart the students the more they will out smart you and f*** you up as a landlord.

See this here property thinking they can outsmart the students...

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-sunnybank-119867905

"There are 9 air conditioners with 9 electric meters as well as a main meter for the whole house. Ensuites are also attached to five of the main bedrooms. These features are perfect for renting out separate rooms or dual-family accommodation. All 9 bathrooms have beautiful unique designs with stunning colour schemes."

Think they are smart by having a separate meter for each room will solve the problem? The students can just buy an extension cable ($3-5 from kmart) and wire it from a public area.

Provide separate bathroom for each room? Is there a separate water meters too? If you don't treat them like a god they will just leave the tap running all day and f you up. You are still f***ed.

If there is a leaky cistern, they won't bother to waste a text or message you or call you and let you know.

Having everyone isolated in their own rooms only breeds selfishness. What about the internet? they will just spam torrents and downloads. Students need to learn to share the house with other students, learn to play nice with each other. It's a valuable life skill. At least more valuable than their business or hotel management and tourism, event management degree.

They more you try to be tight on them; the worst they get you back. That's from experience.

Last edited:
I heard of a student accomdation where only the gas from the stove was not metered and students were turning all 5 burners on and leaving them on all day for free heating. Not sure if they opened a window for fresh air but its something to think about when giving something away to a student.

Yeah see. Tano knows what's up.

Fully lucky, the most practical way of preventing the tenants using too much power is to ensure that there are only two power circuits available that is 2 x 15 amp circuits. A heater uses 2400 w which is 10 amps x 240V, that means that they can only plug one heater into each circuit.

soon as they turn on the kettle and microwave oven, they will blow the fuse. They will soon learn how not to use too much power rather than having to go out in the cold to reset the fusebox.

I have old school fuses. Using actual fuses not switches. If that happened I'd have to go and redo the fuse.

But I know what you mean. The 1 to 4 or 1 to 6 power strips have a rating of 2400W. That means you can't use kettle (2000W) and microwave (800W) simultaneously, the power strip trips but you can just put the button back in.

Artificially using a lower rated fuse will just mean you have to go and replace it more often. Sometimes people have kettles on at the same time (all bedrooms are on one circuit).

Maybe you could write them all a nice letter and explain that, whilst electricity is included in the rent it is not a "free" commodity, and that due to the current cost of electricity would they please be mindful of usage, in particular the use of inefficient electric heaters, and could they ensure that they are switched off when the tenant leaves and are used as sparingly as possible.

Appeal to their common sense. Sure, you might get a few of them that don't give a stuff, but not all students are bludging ********s. If only one of them takes notice and is more aware of their usage then that at least saves you a couple of Nandos a week?

I'm SME in this field.
Next time I'm talking with the Student Accommodation Industry Association, perhaps I can suggest they get you on as a consultant. Clearly, they can benefit from your wisdom and vast experience. How many Nandos per hour do you charge?

ok, we get it you have the ability to stalk and follow people from thread to thread. Well done. Don't need to over do it to death.

At least i'm generating new content and interesting discussion.
lol!

:d:d:d:d

But back to the topic; the electricity is part of the deal.

You have to live with it, or sell the IP and get another type.

If you hate it so much, why do you bother with student accommodation?
With all the experience you have, how come you did not see it come? :confused:

Another solution is for you to live in the property: occupy one room and rent the others. They will better behave knowing you are around.

Back