Is there a way for landlords to join forces and boycott kmart?

Maybe you could write them all a nice letter and explain that, whilst electricity is included in the rent it is not a "free" commodity, and that due to the current cost of electricity would they please be mindful of usage, in particular the use of inefficient electric heaters, and could they ensure that they are switched off when the tenant leaves and are used as sparingly as possible.

Appeal to their common sense. Sure, you might get a few of them that don't give a stuff, but not all students are bludging ********s. If only one of them takes notice and is more aware of their usage then that at least saves you a couple of Nandos a week?

That's pretty good advice.

Fully Lucky, how much rent you pulling from that place anyway?
Is it doing well apart from the electrical and smell issues?

A fair bit of rent but after taking away interest charged by bank, rates, water, elec, internet. not including labor and white goods costs not that much.

The smell issue is no longer an issue it has been resolved.

From time to time I often re-evaluate my choice of taking on this IP as a student accommodation with some of the things that happens at the house but other times I laugh my way to the bank so it balances out.

I don't regret my choice so far let's just say.:rolleyes:

If you hate it so much, why do you bother with student accommodation?
With all the experience you have, how come you did not see it come? :confused:

Student accommodation is important to Australia. I feel I'm doing my part. At any given time there are millions of international students in the country we as Australians need to do our part to provide accommodation...

In addition, it's easier to get positive cash flow by renting on a per room basis.

I did see it coming. In the summers students use portable AC units... (but not this bad, very rare). I saw it coming a mile away and I envisage it getting worse at the rate kmart is putting them in the front of the store in the main shopping aisle. What I don't like what kmart is doing is it knows international students will go for these since students don't have cars so these small portable units will be preferred over the oil heaters. Students don't read the wattage of the units and only care about price as they are price sensitive. Kmart is using business strategy but having complete disregard for the environment and landlords.

Another solution is for you to live in the property: occupy one room and rent the others. They will better behave knowing you are around.

I agree with you. I have heard this in the industry at least a dozen times. You can't do student accommodation unless you live there yourself.

From your comments I can tell you do student accommodation or hosting or at least have had experience in this.

Kmart is using business strategy but having complete disregard for the environment and landlords.
So they're looking out for their own bottom line, in the same way that you are by not providing adequate heating and cooling that's more efficient?

Despicable!

I did see it coming. In the summers students use portable AC units... (but not this bad, very rare). I saw it coming a mile away and I envisage it getting worse at the rate kmart is putting them in the front of the store in the main shopping aisle. What I don't like what kmart is doing is it knows international students will go for these since students don't have cars so these small portable units will be preferred over the oil heaters. Students don't read the wattage of the units and only care about price as they are price sensitive. Kmart is using business strategy but having complete disregard for the environment and landlords.

You sir, are a lunatic :D

You sir, are a lunatic :D

You haven't visited a kmart store before and you don't know marketing so you can't comment.

Kmart studied it's marketing mix, the 4Ps for its target market segment: price, place, promotion, product...

it played its cards very well but morally and ethically speaking what it is doing is wrong. That's the point I'm trying to make.

You guys don't understand because you just buy them 300k properties and rent it out outright and get the tenants to pay the electricity bill. Sit on it and wait for cap gains.

But other landlords that do student accommodation will understand.

Wait til summer.
All that built up stench will be unleashed amongst all the other poor students.
You may need to install an industrial ventilation system at that stage.

He's moving out in the end of August before summer. (They don't call me fully lucky for nothing.):rolleyes:

I'll clean his room with lemon water and white vinegar so there won't be any smell.:cool:

Back