Is there a way for landlords to join forces and boycott kmart?

Astute student accom landlords bypass the meter for power circuits and just hookup the lights so its not a 0 kwh bill each quarter

I thought you were an SME on this?

There's no mention of bicarbonate of soda anywhere to mask the odour.

Nice pick up.
When my cat pissed on the floor of my new car, it was giving me headaches every time I got in, the ammonia type stench was unbearable, especially on a hot day, the fumes were floating.

Had to use some bicarb/peroxide/vinegar solution and that fixed it up good.

investor Fire Sale

image.jpg

investor Sale on Cash Flow Negative Heaters but Cash Flow positive for Power Companies..

From your comments I can tell you do student accommodation or hosting or at least have had experience in this.

Correct: have had experience in this. Living in is the only way you can keep an eye on things unless you have a 'manager' - one of the tenants - you trust to look after your interests. Perhaps you could provide him with an incentive in the form of a rent discount for achieving reduced energy consumption?
Bottom line is you will not be able to stop Kmart from selling these cheap heaters, so you need to act on something you have control over. Perhaps you could provide small oil heaters in each room. Small so that they are not power hungry. Students would likely use heaters that are provided rather than buy an additional one. You could make is against the rules to have these small heaters and if you live in there or have someone you trust looking after things, that could actually be enforced - otherwise it's only wishful thinking!

Good luck :)

I found when I was living in student accom the best way to get the temp right in my room was to have both the space heater and air con running at the same time.

Found the best balance was to have air con on 16 degrees and radiant heater on 4/5 setting. I'd have these on all the time as it was the best feeling coming home to my room after a long day at uni to the just right temperature.

:D

671256e55e7b94c478f77c4dd2aa2641afb98ec711bc9be66307aab25cd881fe.jpg

Charge tenants for their proportion of electricity and other outgoings on a $/sqm basis. Not allowed by the RTA in your State? Well it's quite possible that what you are doing is already not fully kosher so what does it matter?

Want to be legit? I hear shopping centre tenants pay their own power bills and their share of property outgoings - perhaps try that market instead.

Oil heaters perform an essential service (keeping people warm) for those who can't afford to install a R/C air con or other heating solutions for a temporary requirement in short term accommodation. The idea of banning or boycotting them is ludicrous as I'm sure the OP is fully aware.

So my only conclusion can be "well played sir" - nice trolling effort! You have picked up a few here... for entertainment value alone it has been worthwhile!

I found when I was living in student accom the best way to get the temp right in my room was to have both the space heater and air con running at the same time.

Found the best balance was to have air con on 16 degrees and radiant heater on 4/5 setting. I'd have these on all the time as it was the best feeling coming home to my room after a long day at uni to the just right temperature.

Thanks kb you made my eyes water with this one!

and I thought you just ran hot and cold. ;)

Last edited:
Back