Is there a way for landlords to join forces and boycott kmart?

"Electricity is included in the rent but students abuse the heck out of these 2000W heaters."

Should be changed to special condition in lease , ie like Electricity is included in the rent, except for use of heater"

elsewhere in lease " Charge for heater usage to be negotiated with landlord."

The above needs to be done when people move in and sign the lease.

Easy to tell, how many people are using heaters by looking at electricity meter instantaneous usage

Lots of flaming and trolling but no real solutions.

Individual meters etc seems like such an expensive way to address the problem AND annoy the students. It wouldn't fix anything really.

If the electricity is $40pw per student, and you have 6 students (my guess), and they use them for say 16 weeks per year that's almost $4k in electricity.

Why not install an efficient hydronic or 5 star central ducted gas heated system and be done with it?

You can depreciate it, increase the value of the property, increase the satisfaction of your tenants and it would pay itself off in under a year.

There would be a single dial so 'the group' would have to regulate this as everybody would cook at night if it was up any more than say 24 deg. Or just have it automatically set at 23 and take away the controller.

Lots of flaming and trolling but no real solutions.

Individual meters etc seems like such an expensive way to address the problem AND annoy the students. It wouldn't fix anything really.

If the electricity is $40pw per student, and you have 6 students (my guess), and they use them for say 16 weeks per year that's almost $4k in electricity.

Why not install an efficient hydronic or 5 star central ducted gas heated system and be done with it?

You can depreciate it, increase the value of the property, increase the satisfaction of your tenants and it would pay itself off in under a year.

There would be a single dial so 'the group' would have to regulate this as everybody would cook at night if it was up any more than say 24 deg. Or just have it automatically set at 23 and take away the controller.

The property's in Brisbane; that would be overkill. Hence why - contrary to your assertion that nobody offered solutions :) - several of us suggested installing reverse cycle A/C.

The property's in Brisbane; that would be overkill. Hence why - contrary to your assertion that nobody offered solutions :) - several of us suggested installing reverse cycle A/C.

Come back and provide advice when you're SME in this field pls

Bloody kmart always selling these inefficient heaters that's like $14. (2000W) in areas where there is a lot of international students renting...

kmart%20heaters.jpg

Electricity is included in the rent but students abuse the heck out of these 2000W heaters. Racking in $35-40 in electricity bill a week. Kmart knows this but does it to make a small profit like 32c worth of profit at the same time f*** up all the landlords that rent on a per room basis in the area.... is there a way to boycott Kmart and get them to remove the stock :mad::mad::mad:

if landlords stick together we might have a chance. :p

Bugger ...

I paid $ 20 for mine at Bunnings ....

Cliff

I don't know, like $38 - $50?

The best type would be reverse cycle ac. But they are expens!!!!

yes... reverse cycle aircon is more efficient. Other then that, all electric heaters are the same efficiency (100%- unless they have a light on them).

Radiant vs oil column vs fan heaters are all the same efficiency, it just changes how the heat is delivered into the room.

So the students have no choice- any heater they buy that is not a heat pump (i.e. aircon) will cost the same to run.

I suggested reverse cycle ac that was my idea (I posted it first) but everyone claims they thought of it first. :(

yeah I agree with you. It's not even cold.

The students just think ohhh I paid rent I better get my money's worth and use this **** up. :cool:

We actually have several in our weekender .

They only get used very occasionally , during winter if it's cold .

1 in each bedroom .

Cliff

Did you buy a long enough extension cord ? Students also loan to those outside the house solely to bugger up greedy landlords :D

No extension cords .. Personal abuse only .

Never been into student rentals . The three students we've had at home have been enough to deal with ....

Cliff

Back