Is there a way for landlords to join forces and boycott kmart?

"Electricity is included in the rent but students abuse the heck out of these 2000W heaters."

Should be changed to special condition in lease , ie like Electricity is included in the rent, except for use of heater"

elsewhere in lease " Charge for heater usage to be negotiated with landlord."

The above needs to be done when people move in and sign the lease.

Easy to tell, how many people are using heaters by looking at electricity meter instantaneous usage

Thanks I've updated my rules to have this now.

I said no ac but I didn't mention no heaters... It's silly you have to mention everything...

So if I don't say no stealing from other housemates or murdering each other that's allowed?

Yeah that's what I am doing. Looking at instantaneous usage.

Lots of flaming and trolling but no real solutions.

Individual meters etc seems like such an expensive way to address the problem AND annoy the students. It wouldn't fix anything really.

If the electricity is $40pw per student, and you have 6 students (my guess), and they use them for say 16 weeks per year that's almost $4k in electricity.

THANK YOU! That's what I've been trying to explain to everyone but they are not getting it...

yes... reverse cycle aircon is more efficient. Other then that, all electric heaters are the same efficiency (100%- unless they have a light on them).

Radiant vs oil column vs fan heaters are all the same efficiency, it just changes how the heat is delivered into the room.

So the students have no choice- any heater they buy that is not a heat pump (i.e. aircon) will cost the same to run.

Here comes a chem engineer? you studied thermodynamics and think you know what's going on when you don't, just because you know your entropy and enthalpy?

Even if you design the most efficient heat pump/heat engine in the world it won't solve the problem. The students will still mess you up... :( why can't you get that?

I'm trying to explain a car accident and instead of asking the right questions you are asking oh so what colour is the car? IT DOESN'T MATTER!! far out.

Does this student accommodation gig give you serious money for all the bull$hit you have to put up with? Like $50,000? Because it's sounds like it's a second job if you ask me.

Wouldn't it just be better to look for vanilla properties, perhaps a dev or 2 instead of spending 20hrs a week holding your tenants hands?

pinkboy

Does this student accommodation gig give you serious money for all the bull$hit you have to put up with? Like $50,000? Because it's sounds like it's a second job if you ask me.

Wouldn't it just be better to look for vanilla properties, perhaps a dev or 2 instead of spending 20hrs a week holding your tenants hands?

pinkboy

A fair bit. I'd rather have it than 2.5 vanillas. sometimes it's like 0.5 jobs but most of the time it's really good passive income.

I just saw the announcement. I've made a forum, is anyone interested in using my forum that I made? I'm happy to change major headings and sub headings to what you guys suggest. Can promote mods and implement new features. Happy to do admin but could use some mods for help.:cool::)

A fair bit. I'd rather have it than 2.5 vanillas. sometimes it's like 0.5 jobs but most of the time it's really good passive income.

I just saw the announcement. I've made a forum, is anyone interested in using my forum that I made? I'm happy to change major headings and sub headings to what you guys suggest. Can promote mods and implement new features. Happy to do admin but could use some mods for help.:cool::)

Going to be as many people there as DT's birthday

(inb4 same number of ips i have haha)

That's my point exactly, kmart shouldn't stock these inefficient monstrosities, weapons of mass destruction and only allow the efficient heaters.

I think this has been mentioned, but electric fan heaters are almost 100% efficient ;)

I think what you are worried about is that the overall system of turning your cash into heat is not very efficient. :D

I suggest open fireplaces in each room. Think of the ambiance!

I think what you are worried about is that the overall system of turning your cash into heat is not very efficient. :D

I suggest open fireplaces in each room. Think of the ambiance!

Think what all the insurance companies will say when they cancel his insurance.

I did not read the entire thread but so maybe someone may have already said it. Here is Tas the UNI accom also pays for power. Each room has a hard wired heater. The switch on the power point is only set for a few hours. So the student has to turn it on at the switch and it will run for a few hours. Then press it again etc.

This stops it running all day, and when they go out for the weekend etc.

Must save heaps doing it this way.

Delays between 15 secs and 254 mins. Push button to turn load on for set period

http://www.clipsal.com/Trade/Products/ProductDetail?catno=31VETR

Last edited:
how about start central heating ? you pay 5$ a day for it but for all.

It's Brisbane. You need heating for maybe 45 days a year (I've used the heating twice this year). If heating's free then maybe 90 days a year.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no gas in almost all BNE suburbs, therefore no central heating.

I reckon FL should weld the windows closed for the winter and weld them open for the summer.

I look forward to boycotting K-mart in the summer for selling portable ac units. I'm drafting a letter and preparing my signs!

I did not read the entire thread but so maybe someone may have already said it. Here is Tas the UNI accom also pays for power. Each room has a hard wired heater. The switch on the power point is only set for a few hours. So the student has to turn it on at the switch and it will run for a few hours. Then press it again etc.

This stops it running all day, and when they go out for the weekend etc.

Must save heaps doing it this way.

Delays between 15 secs and 254 mins. Push button to turn load on for set period

http://www.clipsal.com/Trade/Products/ProductDetail?catno=31VETR

That's a good idea. I've seen them before but for showers in camping grounds. you normally get a friend to spot ya and press for ya so you have longer time in the shower.

It's Brisbane. You need heating for maybe 45 days a year (I've used the heating twice this year). If heating's free then maybe 90 days a year.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no gas in almost all BNE suburbs, therefore no central heating.

I reckon FL should weld the windows closed for the winter and weld them open for the summer.

I look forward to boycotting K-mart in the summer for selling portable ac units. I'm drafting a letter and preparing my signs!

when exactly is winter over in Brisbane?? :confused: how many more days is it? I know Dec - Feb is summer.

when exactly is winter over in Brisbane?? :confused: how many more days is it? I know Dec - Feb is summer.
It's tricky, but you can figure out when winter is by adding 6 months to summer. That would make winter Jun - Aug, I think, but best check my calculations, because it's pretty complex stuff.

FB_IMG_1434835927805.jpg

pinkboy

Back