Is there anywhere in Sydney that is not screaming hot?

Hi all

Inner west, west, east, they all seem pretty hot right now.

Is there anywhere in Sydney that is not totally crazee right now? Is it possible to buy BMV at the moment?

I'm thinking about buying somewhere in the outer suburbs at around the 300k mark but will not be paying that for a burnt out fibro.

You have to ask yourself, why would you want to buy in an area in Sydney at the present time that is not "screaming hot"?

Surely it would be really undesirable and possibly something to avoid? These are the times (in Sydney) when you see, from a suburb choice perspective, when the tide goes out, who has been swimming naked. :)

You have to ask yourself, why would you want to buy in an area in Sydney at the present time that is not "screaming hot"?

Surely it would be really undesirable and possibly something to avoid? These are the times (in Sydney) when you see, from a suburb choice perspective, when the tide goes out, who has been swimming naked. :)

Please do tell more Propertunity :), regarding people swimming naked

the area between my front garden and back yard seems to be not very hot!!!

havent had multiple offers or selling within the first 12 hours:mad:

Probably doesnt help that im actually not selling it:D

Monitor the market for a little while and you'll find that there are some properties that are not selling in those hot suburbs. I just settled on a house last week in a suburb that has properties under contract within hours of listing. The place was on the market for months, was big, daggy, dark and ugly. I thought it had potential and to be honest, as soon as the owners moved out the place looked brighter and larger already. The valuer stated that the property was well under market value, so we're happy with our purchase.

Monitor the market for a little while and you'll find that there are some properties that are not selling in those hot suburbs. I just settled on a house last week in a suburb that has properties under contract within hours of listing. The place was on the market for months, was big, daggy, dark and ugly. I thought it had potential and to be honest, as soon as the owners moved out the place looked brighter and larger already. The valuer stated that the property was well under market value, so we're happy with our purchase.

Nice work and ood to know!

My question probably wasnt phrased that well. I don't want to buy in a bad suburb but I do want to pay the right price and am wary of what's happening in a lot of the super hot suburbs.

She didn't say it was a bad suburb.

Sometimes the wrong tenant/owners will turn a lot of buyers away, especially in affluent suburbs, because people who look at those areas aren't going to think about how I can add value/renovate. They just want a top notch pad.

We saw a house last week (for PPOR) - located in a hot suburb. In my view the asking price is at least 60-70K above market value - they obviously have been unable to convince the buyers. This weekend it will be a month since the property has been online, and 4th open home this weekend. Properties have been selling very quickly in this suburb.

We haven't put a formal offer yet - as we may get shot down. I am still thinking about whether it is worthwhile getting into formal discussions with the agent. The property needs a complete overhaul / reno.

She didn't say it was a bad suburb.

Sometimes the wrong tenant/owners will turn a lot of buyers away, especially in affluent suburbs, because people who look at those areas aren't going to think about how I can add value/renovate. They just want a top notch pad.[/QUOTE

I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to Prop's comment aboit why would I want to buy in a suburb that's not hot?

I think it sounds like Beachgurl bought a great deal and it's motivating to know you can still buy under market value in a hot suburb.

Funny how when the market is crap, people don't want to buy. Then when it starts to boom they don't want to buy in the good areas because it's 'too expensive'. Human mentality is fascinating.

Funny how when the market is crap, people don't want to buy. Then when it starts to boom they don't want to buy in the good areas because it's 'too expensive'. Human mentality is fascinating.

.....and when prices start is rise, even by 10% (which they have in many parts of Sydney this year) it must be a "bubble", despite an extended flat period for most of the last 10 years :confused:

When the market's rising, they'll get angry and say there's a bubble building, but are actually desperately looking for something to buy.

When the market's falling/flat, they'll say the market looks shaky, shares are a better investment.

Yawn.

I think what they really want, is an Arab Spring or Cultural Revolution.

I need to lower my standards, everything I consider good is under offer by Monday. I've seen some pretty crazy offers too, offered 310 on one last week (asking range 290-320) sold for 365k.......

Going to hang around for another couple weeks but if this keeps up I'm going to Brissie.

Back