Is there still any "value" in inner East (Melb)?

Just curious about your thoughts about inner east Melbourne, is there any suburb at all providing some value? I'm more referring to 600m2 + blocks within 20kms from CBD on the Eastern/South Eastern end of Melb.

The only suburb(s) at the moment which springs to mind is Burwood East & Chadstone - not served by rail but I think you could snap up $750-$800K 600m2+ blocks which I reckon can increase.

Have a look at Oakleigh as well. Not sure about value for dollars though.

It used to be a dump when I was a kid, but has been gentrified in the last couple of decades...my Auntie lives there now. It has changed a huge amount.

Lots of period homes, near the rail line, the freeway, and Chadstone shopping Centre.

Only 20 mins or so to the city/airport (unless peak hour).

20 mins to the airport???
Yes.

Not saying you'd be able to do it every single time of course, but we have actually driven from the airport to her house in 20 mins, and not speeding.

She lives quite near the Warrigal rd freeway entrance/exit.

Call it 30 mins if you like.

Yes.

Not saying you'd be able to do it every single time of course, but we have actually driven from the airport to her house in 20 mins, and not speeding.

30 minutes is plasuible.. 20 mins WITHOUT speeding not a chance. But lets not get caught up in technicalities! Lets just say its within 'close proximity' :D

What about pushing a little further south east? Still plenty of value around the Knox city area with good sizes blocks and development potential. IMO still plenty of room for further growth.

Yes.

in 20 mins you'd be averaging over 120km per hour based on the driving distance.

30 minutes is plasuible.. 20 mins WITHOUT speeding not a chance. But lets not get caught up in technicalities! Lets just say its within 'close proximity' :D

What about pushing a little further south east? Still plenty of value around the Knox city area with good sizes blocks and development potential. IMO still plenty of room for further growth.

mehh I think Knox has risen and peaked - prices were hovering around the $400K mark a few years back, now knocking $600-$700K, same basket as Ringwood without the freeway or a train network.

I live in Niddrie and it takes me 15 minutes to get to the airport doing the speed limit, but then again my car doesn't fly so probably why you can do it in 20 from oakleigh.

Everywhere SE has peaked except for Berwick onwards even Narre Warren has risen considerably. So that leaves Pakenham, Cranbourne, Clyde, Frankston North and Belgrave region. The logical answer would be Burwood East but it already looks rather expensive.. is there any guarantee it'll reach similar medians to surrounding suburbs? I know nothing about it, but it looks pretty far from any public transport and this would be pretty significant with the heavy traffic in the area.

Hampton Park, Dandenong and Noble have all risen, with perhaps some more to go once the level crossing are completed. But look to a Sydney suburb of similar proximity (Blacktown) and the medians aren't that far behind which makes you think, how much room do any of the suburbs have left to go?

I can't spot any growth area's in the middle/outer rings but units in Elwood, South Yarra, Richmond, Footscray, Brunswick etc look like far safer options to me the market just looks so inflated I'm not sure how much room is left.

Burwood East has a tram line running right up Burwood Hwy. Dedicated track for most part too. Sure it is a long way from the city, but it links in OK with Hartwell station or Camberwell if you go further.

Burwood One shopping development has completed, 24 hour KMart and Coles.

Lots and lots of development happening on Burwood Hwy, looks to be 3 levels are fine - big apartment blocks to service Deakin Uni student's primarily. Have seem some large development blocks sell for big money.

Everywhere SE has peaked except for Berwick onwards even Narre Warren has risen considerably. So that leaves Pakenham, Cranbourne, Clyde, Frankston North and Belgrave region. The logical answer would be Burwood East but it already looks rather expensive.. is there any guarantee it'll reach similar medians to surrounding suburbs? I know nothing about it, but it looks pretty far from any public transport and this would be pretty significant with the heavy traffic in the area.

Hampton Park, Dandenong and Noble have all risen, with perhaps some more to go once the level crossing are completed. But look to a Sydney suburb of similar proximity (Blacktown) and the medians aren't that far behind which makes you think, how much room do any of the suburbs have left to go?

I can't spot any growth area's in the middle/outer rings but units in Elwood, South Yarra, Richmond, Footscray, Brunswick etc look like far safer options to me the market just looks so inflated I'm not sure how much room is left.

Which is it? Has it peaked or you're not sure how much growth is left. You sound a little confused.

All decent places have had growth. I Would be more worried buying a place that has been left behind in this growth phase. What does that tell you about the suburb? Pretty ordinary to invest in if you ask me.

Which is it? Has it peaked or you're not sure how much growth is left. You sound a little confused.

All decent places have had growth. I Would be more worried buying a place that has been left behind in this growth phase. What does that tell you about the suburb? Pretty ordinary to invest in if you ask me.

Really? I thought that those who got the most capital increases was buying undervalued and overlooked suburbs then riding the wave when it comes - mostly from the spill effect of popular surrounding suburbs?

Take for example Ashburton - the last suburb in the City of Boorondara to hit $1mil average....it was the "ugly duckling" in a very expensive part of town. Gained the most capital growth in the last 2 - 4 yrs I think from memory. $200K within last 2 yrs average.

Burwood East has a tram line running right up Burwood Hwy. Dedicated track for most part too. Sure it is a long way from the city, but it links in OK with Hartwell station or Camberwell if you go further.

Burwood East imho until last year/late last year offered the best capital growth within 20kms of the Eastern suburbs. It's now also hovering around the 1mil mark average!

Has most amenities, I can live with the transportation change....

I completely agree with this. Why would you want to buy in a suburb that's lagging behind in "value"?

It's the suburbs that have the melting pot full of the correct fundamentals that make good investments over time rather than the one's that benefit primarily from the ripple effect.

Whilst I agree that one can achieve good results from "hotspotting" it does increase the investor's exposure to risk as more speculation is involved. I'd suggest you redefine "value" as purchasing good quality property rather than "what's cheap" or "what's affordable right now".

As an analogy people will always see "value" in well crafted goods like a Swiss watch that has all the right parts rather than a Chinese digital watch that does the same job but lacks market desirability.

a comparable property with those credentials would be double the price in Sydney ... so as a Sydneysider who thinks Melbourne is closer to Sydney than any other capital cities, yes I see value :D esp given the land size

Lots and lots of development happening on Burwood Hwy, looks to be 3 levels are fine - big apartment blocks to service Deakin Uni student's primarily. Have seem some large development blocks sell for big money.

It's perhaps the ONLY spot that is still undervalued in the East within 20kms - but probably not for much longer seen as some properties are selling over 1mil.

The tram is not too bad, back in my uni days at Deakin, it took about 45mins from City to Hartwell then by tram to uni...

Back