Is this a rip off?

Got a quote today from a draftsman. Plans are aready approved at council but no working drawings. I havedone some reorganising within the footprint and presented a scale drawing. Just been quoted $450 to draw up and submit my sketch backto me,$3500 for working drwgs, $2100 to submit plans to council. On top of that there will be sundry other expenses and $2000 to be charged by council for a Building Permit. Do all these fees seem about right? We have only extended the garage to the boundary and taken one room out to include the pation outside (which was under the top storey overhang anyway) Would love some feedback please.

Try someone else, especially in the ethnic communities, for a cheaper price.

You may have to do some work though, such as dealing with the council.

Another way is to approach a volume builder to see if they want to custom build.

Some independent builders can absorb the drafting cost by using their own resources.

:)

If the plans are approved, why do you need to submit them to council?

If you have a TPP, you must now have working drawings generated and submit these to a private or municipal building surveyor for a BP.

the original plan was approved, but I have altered the footprint to extend one room to incorporate a patio, and the garage an extra 2mts to the boundary, plus some additional windows which wont impact on next door. A draftsman I have used before said he felt we wouldnt need to go back to council either. Just thought the prices quoted for about 2 hrs redrawing when it would all be on cad system was a rip off, plus saying that it had to be resubmitted to council. Appreciate your input

the original plan was approved, but I have altered the footprint to extend one room to incorporate a patio, and the garage an extra 2mts to the boundary, plus some additional windows which wont impact on next door. A draftsman I have used before said he felt we wouldnt need to go back to council either. Just thought the prices quoted for about 2 hrs redrawing when it would all be on cad system was a rip off, plus saying that it had to be resubmitted to council. Appreciate your input

If you make alterations to the endorsed plans these will need to be addressed as an amendment and submitted to the TP dep't.

Have taken the plans to mypreviously used draftsman and he said I probably dont even need to go to council, just get a building permit. Also he quoted $2500 less for drawing up plans. Have politely declined architects services

Back