Is this block too narrow to build in back?

BACKGROUND: My partner and I are looking to buy a PPOR on a subdivisible block in Sunshine with the aim of selling the land in a few years and renting out the house and using equity to buy elsewhere.

Brimbank council requires 3 metre clearance at side driveway, as well as parking for 2 cars for each 3 bedroom house, or 1 bay for a 2-bedder.

We have a shortlist and this one has just come on the market but I don't know enough about building to know if the back would be too small to be an attractive buy for someone. The block is wide at the front so carports for both properties could be there, but not sure if the 6.6m width at the back is too small to fit anything on.

Can anyone offer any advice?

main.jpg

I've often looked at aerials and wondered the same thing. Wouldn't it depend on the rules of the local council as to how much width you'd need for a driveway? Maybe call someone and ask?

How would the agent have got that shot? I can't picture a vendor paying for the agent to have a helicopter ride to take this photo.

I had plans drawn up for a 3 unit development on a block of similar shape and size. Happy to PM them to you.

I doubt it. The set back under rescode will be the average of the two neighbours (i.e. heaps of land gone), the narrowing of the block at the back makes it implausible to put another dwelling on there.

I doubt it. The set back under rescode will be the average of the two neighbours (i.e. heaps of land gone), the narrowing of the block at the back makes it implausible to put another dwelling on there.

Can you explain what the first half of this means? Rescode and neighbours?

Can you explain what the first half of this means? Rescode and neighbours?

Rescode is the Victorian regulations which govern planning approvals. The setback of a house from the street is determined by the average of its neighbours. So therefore you can't utilise the area in front of your house for a building, which limits how many dwellings you can fit on the block.

Rescode is the Victorian regulations which govern planning approvals. The setback of a house from the street is determined by the average of its neighbours. So therefore you can't utilise the area in front of your house for a building, which limits how many dwellings you can fit on the block.

Ahh, cool, thanks. But from looking at this block you think it may be feasible to put something behind it?

The agent didn't mention it in the listing and seems pretty sketchy in his knowledge on this stuff (similarly vague about other properties he's listed that are clearly subdivisible) hence seeking help here, but will ask the council as well.

Council won't help you. I don't think you can fit anything on there - it's just not possible with set backs and building width.

What's the site width at say the location of the shed? You also need to review the basics as well, check zone/overlays and the local policy in the planning scheme for a neighborhood character study.

The block can fit 3 double storey units.

It is likely you'll still can fit a doube storey at backyard if want to keep the front one.

However, the design will be tricky to eliminated all "bad" angle. And you have to check if there is any easement.

I'm an architect and dealing with Brimbank council many time, but no one can 100% sure until work out all related overlay, planning scheme and neighbourhood character study as Nash13 mentioned.

Back