Is this forum making you feel inadequate?

I must admit that when I first joined, if anything this forum was more of a hindrance than a help psychologically point of view (obviously a massive help from a learning one). Seeing how much more some people on here had accomplished than I did, some of them were even younger than me.

This has now changed completely and while I might still marvel at what others have done, I know that I'm doing well myself and don't have to measure myself using anyone else's yardstick.

What about you, same situation, or was it empowering for you?

As a relatively new member I have found it very helpful and quite addictive. There are usually contrasting opinions on each topic which is great for learning but can make you slightly hesitant in your decision making as a noob.

In some ways Im glad I didnt find it earlier, I was too busy blowing IP deposits on travel and booze in my 20s

I have been on and off here for over 10 years. I have found it very helpful and acheived a lot financially but at the same time there are a handful (or two) of people with good incomes who do like to showboat a bit. :cool: So i know what you mean.

Find the forum a great source of information and advice and motivating to some degree, we generally don't speak to family or friends about property unless they are interested and bring the subject up first but we never disclose what we have or don't have.
Lots of different ideas and some D&Gs which is important, it can be a high stakes game and not everyone just buys property and makes $$$$, everyone has an opinion influenced by their life experiences

I find this forum like real life, everyone is at a different stage and everyone is unique.

On here we can't see the age of the other person, we don't know if they are earning big $$, we don't know if they are just starting out.

We are presented with a huge range of situations, we need to be positive and determined to follow the examples of those who have or are succeeding and learn to avoid the pitfalls others have suffered.

In general, read a lot, work out what suits us and move forward from there.

And all this completely free, how good is that :D

What about you, same situation, or was it empowering for you?

Both.

Inspiring and at the same time, can make me feel quite frustrated with the seemingly slow progress on my side.

That said, where are a lot more to learn than it is to be frustrated about :eek:

I am relatively new to this forum compared to most people here. Since being on here I too have seen some show off people who big note themselves. I bet they even have their salary on their car number plate like you see those ******s with 200k etc.

At this stage I only have my ppor, so that's why I came on this forum to learn about property investing. I don't like when you put a question to the forum members about a certain topic to get there advice and you get some certain people who jump straight on and say do a search and you will find the answers when really what I want is a personal opinion of recent experience not something that's 5 years old.

To the forum members that have given me advice I thank you and I hope to purchase my first ip around mid year.

Been here for a couple of years, not too long after purchased my 1st IP. I've found it to be very empowering. It's good to be able to share and learn with other like minded people that might not be able to do in your day to day life.

Only found this forum after reading about it on Whirlpool, have become addicted, great place for investors to educate themselves and learn from others who willingly give their advice. :)

Reading a huge archive of this forum several years ago before I started my investment property journey taught me so many things and still does to this day. It meant I was able to structure my loans and finances efficiently from the beginning which is a relief when I read some horror stories on the net. I am continually inspired that others out there that are succeeding in life with a similar mind set to me.

The only person I compare myself to and compete with is myself. Everyone is different and are traveling their own path so you're hardly comparing apples with apples.

I am a naturally competitive person and always aim to be part of the best of the best so being a part of this forum has made me set the bar very high for myself. Some people on here I want to emulate, some are amazing knowledge resources who are willing to share for free and some on here I learn what not to do or how not to act....

If someone is more successful than me there is no envy. I am inspired by them and just want to know what makes them successful so I can aim to be like them.

I lurked in this forum for a good few years before actually joining up as I am also more of a lurker than anything else. At the time, probably close to 10 years ago now, I was just a kid working in retail lucky to be earning $30k p/a. I now owe a decent sized chunk of where I am at now to the collective which is this forum. It's directly and indirectly educated me, told me where to go to educate myself further and guided me - all because of the generosity of the members of this forum. I have also met some great people because of this forum and some I would consider friends.

Finally, (corny moment) I'm not sure I would have found my 'calling' either, or had the confidence to pursue it, without the amazing network I've been able to build around myself.

For me, i wish i found it years ago before starting the journey and early on wished i didnt miss out on the early 00's boom, but then we cant go back in time.
This forums is a bit like a lot of things in life - like the saying "if i'd new what I know now when i was in my teen's/20's etc etc", but we can say that about lots of things as we get older!!
knowing there are people on here at different stages of investment from starting out to those with large portfolios and all sorts of different strategies etc makes for good reading/advice and opens up the mind to the possibilities out there

There's no real reason to feel intimidated by others on the forum, this is generally a fairly nice place to discuss investment (it's very well moderated). Most of the people who have substantial wealth and portfolios didn't get it overnight, it takes time and work.

It's also worth noting that the perception of many people's success is often greater than their actual success. There's plenty of people here with large reputations with a balance sheet that doesn't really match. There's also people with substantial portfolios that don't talk about it that much.

Keep in mind that your journey is your own, not anyone else's. Everyone has to start somewhere. The forums and other opportunities to interact with other investors are an opportunity to learn and to be inspired. Someone else's success isn't a reason to be intimidated.

When I joined I was amazed at the size of some of the portfolios people had, and was a bit put off by it, but I think it's given me confidence to move forward. I really feel like Im on my way to reaching my goals now.

Besides, I need somewhere to ask my stupid questions! :eek:

This forum has been completely empowering and motivating for me from day one.
It was a wake up call that I should be doing a lot more, as I was 25 years old with no qualifications and going nowhere fast at the time, working as a labourer.
Been on here 12.5 years now and have gone from nothing to exceeding initial goals of financial freedom within that period.
Thanks to all the experienced and successful investors who have contributed to this forum, the information shared is well appreciated.

This forum is addictive, empowering and also makes me feel inadequate all at the same time :)

Some of the posts i read make me feel really inadequate, it reminds me that I haven't really done much, which in turn motivates me to do something :)

This forum is addictive, empowering and also makes me feel inadequate all at the same time :)

Some of the posts i read make me feel really inadequate, it reminds me that I haven't really done much, which in turn motivates me to do something :)
How old are you?

This has a big relevance to what you will have achieved.

MY first property was a PPoR at 25.

Didn't even know what an IP was.

So, anyone who is a property owner or IP owner by that age is/was way ahead of me.

When I first started on here I hardly had 2 coins to my name. Joined SS in 2003, had first IP in 2004 and rest is history from there I guess.

I always suggest never comparing yourself with others. Always run one's own race. There'll be forever people ahead or behind or whatever. It isn't comparable since they had different starting points or have different circumstances or whatever.

Always walk in the direction of your dreams. As long as you don't stand still, you'll eventually stumble upon them. Sometimes it'll be slow, uneventful or have some trips & falls, but keep walkin'

I'm 25 and have millions of dollars to my name through property investment. Good thing I started investing when I was 15 years old. Don't feel bad if you can't retire at age 30 - we can't all be driving porches and eating lobster every night. :D

But seriously, run your own race and don't worry what other's do. Use this site as an inspiration to your wealth creation. I did!

Back