Is this forum making you feel inadequate?

I must admit that when I first joined, if anything this forum was more of a hindrance than a help psychologically point of view (obviously a massive help from a learning one). Seeing how much more some people on here had accomplished than I did, some of them were even younger than me.

This has now changed completely and while I might still marvel at what others have done, I know that I'm doing well myself and don't have to measure myself using anyone else's yardstick.

What about you, same situation, or was it empowering for you?

It was great help to me, enabled me to continue investing further after some long break. Helped to reinforce also why am I doing this and provided mentors online for personal or investing development....
Vast amount of knowledge at your fingertips!:)

We are all at different stages of our personal journey. Accept where your at and make a start, even if its saving $50/week for you first property deposit. Think of ways to increase your income and decrease expenses.

To by 1 or 10 IPs in a year isnt hard if you have a 15 year old trail book and making 200k in upfronts a year on top of it (example only) which was conveniently not mentioned :)

I question everything with a grain of salt now, and don't buy a single thing I hear mentioned on facebook.

Yea very true. Block out the noise around you. I think you'd be surprised how many people appear to do very well on the surface, but there's a story on the other side.

Try to find happiness by being content and healthy.

Facebook? What's that? I don't even have an account.
Lots of people are all about keeping up with their friends or neighbours, what they appear to have or don't have etc and make some pretty silly decisions financially because of this

That's a pretty good 6 years. Would love to read the interview.

Very inspiring given your age at the time to step up and look after your own future.

I've some family friends who keep thinking it too late, IMO it's enough time for them to jump in and try and get at least 1 good growth cycle. What could be worse, sitting and doing nothing.

Thanks. Nothing noteworthy really. Had some equity in the PPOR and started buying cheap properties with a decent yield. Then bought cheaper run down ones and did a few reno's to make them CF+ from day one. Rinse, repeat.

Feeling a bit lazy as I haven't done anything in 2 years, but have happily taken the great increase in equity that the boom prices in Sydney have given me. :D

It's never too late.

I agree with others; I find it empowering mostly. I really value this community (to me Somersoft is so much more than an 'online forum' but a real genuine community). From a practical standpoint the biggest value to me is the suburb-level due diligence insights I can glean, that go beyond the standard DD I do online and walking around a suburb. Its the little quirky nuggets of info on a suburb that you didn't even think of.

One such example is this: nowhere in any online or walling research would you think of 'bird poo' as being a problem for a property purchase! But in one area (and I find this really funny!) Bird poo is wreaking havoc on decks and balconies (which are hugely coonplacr in this particular suburb due to the incredible views that all houses want to take an advantage on). Yep, SS taught me to think about bird poo as a factor in property lol.

This is one of dozens of insights that have helped me over the years. Love this place!

One such example is this: nowhere in any online or walling research would you think of 'bird poo' as being a problem for a property purchase! But in one area (and I find this really funny!) Bird poo is wreaking havoc on decks and balconies (which are hugely coonplacr in this particular suburb due to the incredible views that all houses want to take an advantage on). Yep, SS taught me to think about bird poo as a factor in property lol.
On that note - decks with glass panels (we have both a pool fence and balcony deck which are glass panels) are a hazard for birds flying into them and killing themselves.

It is advisable to not keep the glass panels too clean so the birds can see them.

When we first moved into our place, we were getting about one a week for a few months, and then they stopped - dirty glass.

Hence; we hardly ever give them a really good clean - just a quick hose and wipe down. Still look clean, but safe for birds.

Haven't had a dead one in over 2 years now.

Back