Is this material asbestos?

Hi folks,

About to start renovating a bathroom in an old Californian bungalow. Ceilings and walls are lath and plaster. However, the bathroom has this 'tile pattern' around the edge and the outsides of the shower recess are also made from the same material.

If it's uncertain, where in Melbourne can I get this tested?

Thanks,
PD

Attachments

• bathroom1.jpg
    bathroom1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 143
  • bathroom2.jpg
    bathroom2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 134
I bought one of these kits, but the turn around time is probably around 3 weeks for them to test and give you a result.

http://www.australian-asbestos-remo...n-asbestos-removal-services/asbestos-kits.htm

The kit was really good, had a metal scraping utility, some PVA glue to seal where you took the sample from, a protective mask, gloves, self addressed envelope and bags to seal the sample in for postal.

If you want something fast, there are local laboratories that will test samples for you, google is your friend. Make sure you get some advice on how to take a sample and bring the sample to them safely though.

Thanks Simtr. Hazcon looks good and is Melbourne based. I've sent them an email to find out how to go about preparing a sample for testing.

Just flicked through some photos of the house and realised the same square patterned sheeting has been used in parts of the kitchen too...

You can't take risks with this stuff so you are wise to check but it is possible that it is tempered masonite, that used to have that pattern on it. If it is then you are in the clear and you can rip it out whenever you want.

Even if the patterned stuff is masonite I would still be suspicious of other wall panels anywhere near water, they used to mix panels back then and you could have asbestos in the bathroom, kitchen, laundry or any outdoor covered area like a verandah or porch. It could be either walls or ceilings so take your time and check before drilling etc. just to be on the safe side.

Cheers Macca. I plan to have a sample of the material tested before undertaking any work. Regardless, I plan to strip it all out and treat everything as if it might contain asbestos - i.e.: use dust protection, avoid panel breakage.

I have contacted Hazcon and they charge $55 per sample and you just mail it to them. Results back within 24-48 hours.

Back