Is this normal?

Hi there.

We are in the process of trying to buy our first IP. After much reading and research, I starting looking for our first one, about 3 months ago. We are looking at properties in the median range.

So far, we have missed out on 5 IP's, both houses and units.

One, someone who had more money than us bought it. Fair enough.

Another one, the owner decided to take it back off the market after advice from his accountant. (We were told about this one for one price and before we had looked at it, the price had gone up by $8000). Pity, the figures were very good for this one.

Another one, the vendor chose to sell to a cash buyer instead. (Dam these cashed up people.)

Another one we wanted failed the building inspection with something unrepairable and major. (Phew, lucky for inspections!)

And now we are looking at another one which looks like it's not going to proceed either. This one was shown to us at one price, then the agent said that it was placed with other agents for $5000 more (but we were still looking at it for the lesser price.) Then the agent told us that the owner would do certain repairs because the unit was dangerous (water leaking from upstairs bathroom into the laundry underneath, via the light on the ceiling.) We added this info into the clauses of the contract. The plumber had been and apparently it was only a silastic job and the owner was going to be notified. Then we had over a week of backwards and forwards with actually getting the whole contract, ie all the extra pages that you get with unit buying. Signed the contract on Monday and today, got an email from the agents to say that the owner isn't happy with the clauses in the contract and the agent will contact us when they know something. Pity the subject to inspection, finance etc date is next Thursday, hey! (Think we may need an extension on that, if it's signed....)

We are buying in a city that is 250km return trip from where we live, so this is getting very expensive. It is also getting very draining, both physically and emotionally.

On the positive side, we've certainly learnt alot! And I have reached the stage that agents will ring me with a suitable property if one comes up. So that's good.

But I'm not going to give up. I just wondered if this is normal?

G'day Gunna

I don't think there is such a thing as "normal" in the property investing world. I know I read somewhere that you should be prepared to look at 100 properties before expecting to actually make a purchase. I've known people that have looked at 1 and been successful in buying it.

I can only offer encouragement to continue because I'm sure if you persist and stick to your search criteria you'll get what you're after in the end.

Rick

Hi Gunna

Yes this is entirely normal.......IF you are sticking to your research and budget.

We believe leg work is crucial. But it can be done more effectively when there is a clear purpose to what you are seeking, and not just looking for the quick score.

We have found, that the best deals DO NOT get advertised, and rarely does an agent ring you up because you're top of his list.... which means going through home opens can be terribly frustrating when everyone wants top dollar and you miss out.

We believe the best deals are those you CREATE.

Then the trick is seeing the possibilities in ANY property, and structuring your offer to allow you to achieve that outcome.... eg long settlement to get your DA through before actually paying any money.

This means that quite often you miss out, especially if you are prepared to walk away.

Anyway..... the point being that numerous 'creative' offers go unrewarded because the agent/ vendor either not understanding what we are offering, or not interested.

No matter...... we have still managed to purchase 21 properties in the last 10 months.... so it can be done when you have a clear objective in mind for THAT property.

Keep at it and stay focused. We got frustrated at times, but now we find agents who we have never met 'know' us through being active, and they are a pleasure to deal with (time eliminates egos)

GOOD LUCK

Back