Island cooktops

Would love to hear everyone's view on island cooktops.

Pros
- Allows the person cooking to be facing the rest of the room
- Looks different so can be a nice feature, bit of wow factor.

Cons
- I believe that the cost is higher, due to bigger range hood required. Anyone know an approx. price difference?
- Takes up a large amount of room on the island which can knock out the use of the island as a table

Would love to hear some more Pros and Cons from those that have them, have used them, put some in their builds or just have an opinion on them :)

I really liked Steve & Chantelles kitching from the block mainly the island bench top, loved the grey and that it had both the cooktop and ability of being a table.

Is this for a PPOR? Personally not a fan as you will have an ugly exhaust in the middle of your room which makes the kitchen feel smaller and darker.

I have used both and from a functional point of view, I didn't like them. As you said they take up table/bench space. I much preferred having that space for prep and eating then for cooking.

I also found the fans noise far louder, wether it was just an older model or it has to be more powerful due to location/longer flue etc I don't know!

I really liked the mirrored splash backs they used behind cook tops on the block though I imagine the cleaning of them would be a b***h :)

Is this for a PPOR? Personally not a fan as you will have an ugly exhaust in the middle of your room which makes the kitchen feel smaller and darker.

Yes for PPOR, wouldnt bother for IP.

I thought the same initially, I guess depends how it's done. I'm leaning towards keeping it in normal spot as kitchen won't be massive, don't want it to feel smaller.

I thought the same initially, I guess depends how it's done. I'm leaning towards keeping it in normal spot as kitchen won't be massive, don't want it to feel smaller.

I recently did a huge 2mx1m island bench with seating around. I had the option of the cooktop or sink in the island, but chose against both.

Reasons were, as mentioned, the fume hood is intrusive and blocks the open feeling. Those pop-up fume extractors don't work terribly well either.

Also, my guests sit at the island when we're in the kitchen. Putting the cooktop/sink in the island would have meant heat and grease, splashing is thrown onto the bit where you rest your arms, or read a book etc. I use that area for serving etc, but not for messy cooking. I have all the cooking & cleaning along the back wall, and IMHO it was a good decision.

We have an island cooktop and ducted range and it is the best. Provided it is designed correctly with a decent size island, you can still prep, serve and have seating for guests. It allows the cook to still entertain and be part of the conversation. With the stove in the middle and a deep island with length on either side there is plenty of space for prep and serving. I've had plenty of guests sit and chat along the island. It does mean you should pick an attractive stove and range that look nice and modern and easy to wipe down and keep clean.

I would never put a sink on the island much rather have this along the wall under a window so that all the dishes are out of sight and water doesn't splash everywhere.

There are some very fancy island rangehoods that can be focal points and wow factor. Pick a range and go from there. Some brands also have the motor outside so that you don't get any noise in the house - not that this has really bothered me.

Qasair, Schweigen are brands that I've heard are quite good.

We have an island cooktop and ducted range and it is the best. Provided it is designed correctly with a decent size island, you can still prep, serve and have seating for guests. It allows the cook to still entertain and be part of the conversation. With the stove in the middle and a deep island with length on either side there is plenty of space for prep and serving. I've had plenty of guests sit and chat along the island. It does mean you should pick an attractive stove and range that look nice and modern and easy to wipe down and keep clean.

I would never put a sink on the island much rather have this along the wall under a window so that all the dishes are out of sight and water doesn't splash everywhere.

There are some very fancy island rangehoods that can be focal points and wow factor. Pick a range and go from there. Some brands also have the motor outside so that you don't get any noise in the house - not that this has really bothered me.

Qasair, Schweigen are brands that I've heard are quite good.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think you have nailed it, looking online at more designs... Can look terrible with a bad range hood. Key is for a nice looking one that can be install high so it doesn't block the view. Will have to look into it further I think.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think you have nailed it, looking online at more designs... Can look terrible with a bad range hood. Key is for a nice looking one that can be install high so it doesn't block the view. Will have to look into it further I think.

Hi Brady, Have you heard of the website www.houzz.com? You'll get tonnes of ideas from there!

Back