"It's just a washing machine"

He was sentenced to two-and-a-half years in jail, with a parole release date set for May 15.

Manhire's guilty plea and that he had been in custody since August 17 was taken into account.

Judge Gregory Koppenol said Manhire had a "history of violent, unprovoked gratuitous attacks on people".

Defence barrister Geoffrey Seaholme said Manhire had taken an anger management course in prison and had been off drugs for 12 months.

This man will serve 9/30 months. If he had served his actual time for his pervious crimes, I wonder if he would have been out of jail yet?

This man will serve 9/30 months. If he had served his actual time for his pervious crimes, I wonder if he would have been out of jail yet?

put an exploding collar rounds his neck. your assumptions of increased prison time being a deterrent posted in other posts have been shown to be erroneous.

A good argument for appointing a PM?

I would want to know the injury to the LL before deciding if the sentence was fair.

This guy probably had form (we don't know if he had bail so he may have effectively already had 6 months behind for the offence) to get a custodial sentence (unless a serious injury) so I think whether he served his prior sentence fully is probably irrelevant- this problem child was destined for more time behind one suspects.

EDIT- just read the full article- he was behind bars prior to hearing. Koppenal is not a "hanging" judge to my knowledge . Injury pretty minor so yes our perp was a naughty boy long before the washing machine arrived.

put an exploding collar rounds his neck. your assumptions of increased prison time being a deterrent posted in other posts have been shown to be erroneous.

Well, I think my point may be made here.
It doesn't sound like he ever completed any of his sentences, including the one he is currently charged with. They already have him serving less than 33%.

When they actually do their time, for their crime..and not have their time served in "boys club" type of prison..then see how the recidivism rate is.

It doesn't sound like he ever completed any of his sentences, including the one he is currently charged with. They already have him serving less than 33%.

When they actually do their time, for their crime..and not have their time served in "boys club" type of prison..then see how the recidivism rate is.

Yeah. Because prison is such an easy life :rolleyes:

Yeah. Because prison is such an easy life :rolleyes:

Certainly can't be too bad.
Some people will not change no matter what you do.
It is always everyone else's fault they are this way...abuse while growing up, being poor,drug/ alcohol addiction, "wired" wrong, low IQ, etc.

Did a quick google a while ago, and it seems 60-70% of the prison population are return guests. If this is the case..why let them out in the first place.

Because some people like to see wider society as better than the lowest common denominator.

I have known someone who has been in prison for 12 months (a very bad car accident which he was at fault).

It changed him. He knew that he was going away and that it would be bad, but it was even worse than that. He lost all self identity. And that is one of the most damaging things you can lose.

But, in your lovely little world he would have been blown up, or some other barbaric final solution.

There are basically two types of person in prison. Those who made a bad choice in life, or reacted to something in a bad way. And there are those who react to underlying social/economic issues.

You are always going to get the people who do something stupid on the road and hurt/kill someone else, or the wife who kills an abusive husband, or the drunk fight that goes a bit too far. I have some sympathy for them, by and large. They will go to prison but they are unlikely to ever offend again. Making them serve longer and longer sentences will do no good. There is no planning behind what they do.

Those who break laws through addiction etc can be better served by addressing the underlying issues in society. That will have a much better outcome for society than chanting lock em up lock em up like a medieval villager.

Then there are those who are just plain bad. And they will always be there. Nothing you do will change that.

Increasing the prison sentences will not see any decrease in crime. It will not see any positive outcome for society. Positive outcomes come from addressing the root causes. Not by just a knee jerk reaction designed to appeal the blood lust of the community.

I never said to blow their heads off with the collars.
If they crossed the line, they were given a warning to comply first.
It was up to the prison whether they wanted to commit suicide or not.

I also agree, some people will never re-offend.

I doubt prison sentences ever need to be increased. They just need to enforced. Many times, the criminals are still on probabtion or parole when they commit their next offence.

If it makes you feel better they could house all the "I'm sorry" prisoners in one, rapists/pedophiles in another, blue collar crimes in another,nonviolent and violent etc.

Doesn't change the fact that prisons could be self sufficent, and not be a drain to the taxpayers.

most prisoners in australia serve 1/3 of their sentence.

you generally get a third off for "good behaviour" and the other third as parole.

Doesn't change the fact that prisons could be self sufficent, and not be a drain to the taxpayers.

Are you still going on about this?

Firstly, it's not a fact, it's your opinion. An opinion that says that prisons can be self sufficient if they loan out prisoners to pick mangoes.

NSW prisons alone cost about $500 million a year to run. There are about 10,000 prisoners at any one time. This is $50,000 each.

Which fruit growers are going to pay the NSW govt $50,000 to employ prison fruit pickers, when they can pay tourists $10 bucks an hour?

Sorry Kathryn, your numbers don't add up.

Are you still going on about this?

Firstly, it's not a fact, it's your opinion. An opinion that says that prisons can be self sufficient if they loan out prisoners to pick mangoes.

NSW prisons alone cost about $500 million a year to run. There are about 10,000 prisoners at any one time. This is $50,000 each.

Which fruit growers are going to pay the NSW govt $50,000 to employ prison fruit pickers, when they can pay tourists $10 bucks an hour?

Sorry Kathryn, your numbers don't add up.

Who said "my numbers" need to add up. Even if a prison was 50% self sufficient it is better than 0%.

I guess what a person believes in their personal life, continues on with other aspects. I believe in running a business at a profit. I do not believe in giving our tenants rent free accommodation.

I guess it is my "business mind" knows that what the government is doing now, isn't working. Governments rarely make good business decisions.

Mango pickers get a minimum $18.90 an hour in NT.
How about if prisons had their own mango farms?...or something similar.
Check out Sheriff Joe.

It is always everyone else's fault they are this way...abuse while growing up, being poor,drug/ alcohol addiction, "wired" wrong, low IQ, etc.

It depends on the prison, but I am pretty sure you would not want to be there. I know 2 people that have been in. Both of them innocent. Both male accused by ex's for doing things that didn't happen (I was with one of them when one of the alleged things happened). Both of them got the raw treatemnt from the police (one was dragged -not given the oppurtunity to walk -down the street naked by hair) because the ex phoned up and said he was going to shoot up the cop shop. big suprise that he didn't have guns.

Be very careful *if* you are making statements that you have no idea about.

Did a quick google a while ago, and it seems 60-70% of the prison population are return guests. If this is the case..why let them out in the first place.

How about because some of them are innocent? How about because some of them learn from their mistakes?

If you are not in support of prison, you should be campaigning for death penalty. If there is no chance for rehabilitation, there is no point having prison. Just kill everyone that does any crime.

Yes , we all know the prisons are full of innocent people.
I never said it had to be inhumane. They just need to work, like everyone else.
I'm sure there are soldiers (my husband being ex-Australian soldier) who work and live in more challenged situations...and they certainly did nothing wrong.

Wow.. you're finding this information out now for the first time ?

It's nothing new Kathryn, it's just that a lot of people acutally know this stuff already, hence we aren't reacting to it the frsist time as you seem to be...

Wow.. you're finding this information out now for the first time ?

It's nothing new Kathryn, it's just that a lot of people acutally know this stuff already, hence we aren't reacting to it the frsist time as you seem to be...

I am passionate about certain subjects, that's for sure.
I put the google info out..for others.

If I can't debate with my fellow SS's..who can I? :D
Rob already agrees with me.

Other than a saying the "root" of a problem needs to fixed, I see very little in the way of productive suggestions from posters.

Everyone wants budget cuts, but do they really?..or only if it doesn't affect them, or someone they know.

Who said "my numbers" need to add up. Even if a prison was 50% self sufficient it is better than 0%.

When discussing profitabilty and reducing costs, the numbers need to make some sort of sense. Picking mangoes to create income makes sense, until you realise that prisoners would need to pick about 250,000,000 mangoes to cover the cost of the NSW prison system alone.

I agree, it's easier to debate the point if the numbers don't have to add up.

I guess what a person believes in their personal life, continues on with other aspects. I believe in running a business at a profit. I do not believe in giving our tenants rent free accommodation.

Sure, I agree. But prisons are not businesses. Same as public hospitals, which cost even more than prisons to run.

Perhaps we could have prisoners running the public health system. Kill two birds with one stone.

If it makes you feel better they could house all the "I'm sorry" prisoners in one, rapists/pedophiles in another, blue collar crimes in another,nonviolent and violent etc.

I actually think this would be a good idea to stop "light" offenders being placed with the really bad eggs.

And if they want to let paedophiles back out on the streets, let 'em live next to the judge who thinks it is time for them to be released. Or maybe they can move in next door to the civil libertarians who think they can be rehabilitated!

I actually think this would be a good idea to stop "light" offenders being placed with the really bad eggs.

And if they want to let paedophiles back out on the streets, let 'em live next to the judge who thinks it is time for them to be released. Or maybe they can move in next door to the civil libertarians who think they can be rehabilitated!

It must be extremely frustrating to be a cop and seeing the criminals walking soon after.

They could even give criminals a second chance.
On the second and subsequent incarceration, they are required to serve the entire sentence.

Back