It's Tick Time

Just pulled another tick off one of my dogs, it's that time of year again.

This was a small one so no harm done as it was found quickly, but be careful dog lovers and don't just trust the tick guard, you have to also check all over the dog's skin, paws, ears and bum.

This was a small one so no harm done as it was found quickly, but be careful dog lovers and don't just trust the tick guard, you have to also check all over the dog's skin, paws, ears and bum.

My dogs have never had ticks ever, I don't use tick guard, how do they get ticks??

If they are in a well kept suburban yard then ticks are rare ... if the yard is overgrown, they run in long grass at the park or you live rural then the chances are much higher.

I'm not looking forward to first full snake season summer on our rural block, with frisky young puppy.

I removed all the grass from my back yard for that reason, ticks can spread by other ways it seems. I do possum rescue and have one old sick brush tail in an aviary that I'm looking after at this time. No contact with anything external (especially my dogs) but she gets ticks every second day. No idea how as she has no connection to bush or other possums.

I have tick removers at home.

Ticks are all over Newport and Avalon NSW. The vets are full here with tick cases during peak tick season

I have seen the effect Tick Paralysis can have on a dog. They can get ticks even using tick prevention so its important to check them daily if you live in an area that is known to have ticks. Just run your fingers through their hair looking for small lumps. They can have difficuly breathing , possible vomiting and their back legs give way and they just collapse when they get a paralysis tick.

If you don't get them to the vet immediatly when seeing those signs they will most likely die.

I came across an adult fox a few days ago that was dying of mange I think . I was on the quad bike and my west highland terrier was attacking it .

I donked the poor fox but a bit worried my pooch may get mange . I believe it's very contagious .

Never had trouble with ticks . Must be too wet and cold here that .

That's the problem if you take a city dog into the bush in nth nsw the paralysis ticks down that area the small black ones can upend any dog within hours and it's not a good thing to see,but the old bushmen farmers tell me there are 2 ways to treat them outside the local vet,one is crush up the ticks and feed them too the dog and the build up a resistance too the ticks,and the other one is small amounts of coffee will bring them back around both work,the real bad small black ones get into their eyes then it's a Vet callout job..imho..

Back