ITunes

I personally don't see it as any less of theft as if I was to steal some cosmetics, a dress, a chocolate bar, or squat in your house because I thought you were a rich landlord who charges too much.

i don't have to justify it to sleep at night.

the difference is quite easy to see. when you steal all of the above - it's not there anymore. when you copy music - it's still there

the difference is quite easy to see. when you steal all of the above - it's not there anymore. when you copy music - it's still there

That's pretty simple. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you think you are special, but let's just say for arguments sake that Strannik isn't special and that everyone took their music/movies for free. Then what? People would stop making them and we'd have a world with less of it. I don't like the idea of that.

I pressume that also means that you will happily walk into a concert, a movie, or any other production (if you can get away with it) without paying, because the show is still there despite Strannik hasn't paid for it.

I know some musicians, and they work their @rse off, pay loads of money out on instruments, studio time, travel etc. and spend hours and hours writing their music and recording it. I wonder how they feel about Strannik and others feeling they have the right to steal what they have created for nothing.

How about a squatter in your house, they aren't stealing your actual house. They just want to use it for free, because they don't want to be a penguin and can put their money to better use. And afterall, the landlord is probably loaded so why should they pay him any money.

It's one thing to take it and know you are doing the wrong thing, but to justify it and say there's nothing wrong with it and you are entitled to other poeople's work for free.... :eek:

Reactions: BV
I was referring to life in general. Not just downloading asong. But you guys knew that. :rolleyes:

Wylie

You are not a penguin.
There is a group of people who think that because music or movies of software are available online they are theirs to take.

We all know that this is not the right thing to do.
Punishment might never come but just because some people do it doesn't make it right.

cheers

I'm not going to say what's right and wrong, it's a personal choice.
The way i look at is if i hadn't downloaded a series of a show i wouldn't have gone out and bought it.
eg, downloaded the series Gavin and Stacey from the uk and enjoyed it so much i went out and bought the series on dvd, so i see it as win/win situation for everyone. I found something i enjoyed and the company got my money for the dvd's i bought
Have done for about 12 different series. I will buy dvd's if i like the shows because i find them better quality.

That's my thoughts anyway

Thats not true. Musicians realised years ago that their income from recorded music is in a serious down wood trend. (And that has nothing to do with pirating music, but a lot to do with CD's being priced where they should be -$10 - rather than the rip off $30+ of previous years) Anyway, they have changed their business model and now rely more on touring and their income has grown markedly. I'm not talking all musicians, just the good ones.

I'm sure you think you are special, but let's just say for arguments sake that Strannik isn't special and that everyone took their music/movies for free. Then what? People would stop making them and we'd have a world with less of it. I don't like the idea of that.

I pressume that also means that you will happily walk into a concert, a movie, or any other production (if you can get away with it) without paying, because the show is still there despite Strannik hasn't paid for it.

I know some musicians, and they work their @rse off, pay loads of money out on instruments, studio time, travel etc. and spend hours and hours writing their music and recording it. I wonder how they feel about Strannik and others feeling they have the right to steal what they have created for nothing.

How about a squatter in your house, they aren't stealing your actual house. They just want to use it for free, because they don't want to be a penguin and can put their money to better use. And afterall, the landlord is probably loaded so why should they pay him any money.

It's one thing to take it and know you are doing the wrong thing, but to justify it and say there's nothing wrong with it and you are entitled to other poeople's work for free.... :eek:

Torrenting music for your private use is one thing but using it for commercial gain is quite another, and your employer is just dumping a huge risk and responsibility onto you. You need to tell them politely but firmly that is not acceptable.

Have you tried instead:

1) Raising awareness. Put up signs saying that the rink needs donations to provide the latest top 40 family-friendly music.

2) Organising fund-raising events.

3) Organising sponsorship by local businesses, in exchange for advertising signs or a promo lead-in on the loudspeaker, eg "this music provided by Bob's Buggies, for all your buggying needs"

4) Contacting some of your local amateur bands or DJs. Some would jump at a chance to do a live gig with an audience for free. They'd bring their own music or backing tracks, all you'd have to do is pre-approve the songs.

5) Exploring the worlds of "public domain" and "creative commons" music, all free and legal to download and use. Just one site as an example: http://www.jamendo.com/en/ - under "Music" select "Tags" to access all the different genres.

From http://www.southparkstuff.com/season_7/episode_709/epi709script/

[United States Federal Bureau of Investigation, day. Inside, a detective reviews some reports on the boys' Internet activity. Stan, Kyle, and Kenny wait on the other side of the table]

Kyle: [some seconds later] Um, sir-
Detective: Shiut up!! [the boys jump in their seats, then look down, chagrined] You downloaded a lot of songs! Says here you even downlaoded Judas Priest? That's hard time you boys are lookin' at. You got anything to say for yourselves?
Kyle: [rubs the table a bit] We d-didn't think it was that big a deal.
Detective: [pissed off] Not a big deal! You think downloading music for free is not a big deal?! Put your couts on! I'm gonna show you something! And I don't think you're gonna like it!

[A mansion, somewhere, day. The agent has taken the boys for a ride and arrived here. He leads them to the main gate]

Detective: This is the home of Lars Ulrich, the drummer for Metallica. [they approach a bush] Look. There's Lars now, sitting by his pool. [he's seen sitting on the edge of a chaise longue, his face in his hands, softly sobbing]
Kyle: What's the matter with him?
Detective: This month he was hoping to have a gold-plated shark tank bar installed right next to the pool, but thanks to people downloading his music for free, he must now wait a few months before he can afford it. [a close-up of Lars sobbing] Come. There's more. [leads them away. Next seen is a small airport at night] Here's Britney Spears' private jet. Notice anything? [a shot of Britney boarding a plane, then stopping to look at it before entering] Britney used to have a Gulfstream IV. Now she's had to sell it and get a Gulfstream III because people like you chose to download her music for free. [Britney gives a heavy sigh and goes inside.] The Gulfstream III doesn't even have a remote control for its surround-sound DVD system. Still think downloading music for free is no big deal?
Kyle: We... didn't realize what we were doing, eh...
Detective: That is the folly of man. Now look in this window. [they are at another mansion, and they look inside a picture window] Here you see the loving family of Master P. [He's shown tossing a basketball to his wife while his kid tries to catch it] Next week is his son's birthday and, all he's ever wanted was an island in French Polynesia. [his mom lowers the ball and gives it to the boy, who smiles, picks it up and drops it. It rolls away and he goes after it]
Kyle: So, he's gonna get it, right?
Detective: I see an island without an owner. If things keep going the way they are, the child will not get his tropical paradise.
Stan: [apologetically] We're sorry! We'll, we'll never download music for free again!
Detective: [somberly, dramatically] Man must learn to think of these horrible outcomes before he acts selfishly or else... I fear... recording artists will be forever doomed to a life of only semi-luxury.

Torrenting music for your private use is one thing but using it for commercial gain is quite another, and your employer is just dumping a huge risk and responsibility onto you. You need to tell them politely but firmly that is not acceptable.

I fear I need to clear a few things up here.

Firstly, my employer is not some large corporation and the skating rink is not really used for commercial gain. It is leased by a youth centre and is used for their after school drop in centre. It is not open to the public with the exception of one session per week.

This they do with reluctance but are encouraged, by the Council, to open for the community at large. I have no contact at all with any of the youth that come to the drop in centre, the only contact I have with anybody from the area are the small number of patrons that turn up on a Friday night.

There is only a small entrance charge, which barely covers the wages of myself and another staff member, and the place cannot operate if the weather is bad, since it is out doors. The patronage is low because not a lot of people are aware of the existance of it, and the Community Centre does not/will not advertise.

Being an employee, I presume that they have the correct insurances/licenses in place, the same as an employee of any other Business would. This is not my concern at all.

Like I said in the original post, I am happy to pay a subscription out of my own pocket for something, but draw the line at the Itunes prices as I would use my whole wage to do so.

1) Raising awareness. Put up signs saying that the rink needs donations to provide the latest top 40 family-friendly music.

Again, this I mentioned in the original post. We do get stuff from the patrons, but I really want more control over the content/quality. The stuff that we receive is obviously pirated. It is usually just a blank CD and nothing to identify what the tracks are. There is usually some that I would not play due to content.
2) Organising fund-raising events.

3) Organising sponsorship by local businesses, in exchange for advertising signs or a promo lead-in on the loudspeaker, eg "this music provided by Bob's Buggies, for all your buggying needs"
I fear this would definately be frowned upon by the Community Centre and would entail me having to do many hours work in order to obtain donations.

4) Contacting some of your local amateur bands or DJs. Some would jump at a chance to do a live gig with an audience for free. They'd bring their own music or backing tracks, all you'd have to do is pre-approve the songs.

I've already tried this, and was told in no uncertain terms that this would not be considered.
5) Exploring the worlds of "public domain" and "creative commons" music, all free and legal to download and use. Just one site as an example: http://www.jamendo.com/en/ - under "Music" select "Tags" to access all the different genres.

Now this is something that might be useful. Thankyou, I will have a look at this.

Thankyou also to the few people that have sent me PMs on possible solutions.

somehow we had the world with plenty of music before it became commercialized, and it was of much better quality. now most of the music that's sold now doesn't even need an artist, all you need is someone with half decent voice, big boobs and blond hair - and you got yourself a new star.

previously musicians would travel the world and earn their living that way.

which leads us to the next one:

i'm quite happy to pay for a concert ticket, because musicians are actually putting out few hours of hard work and i get to hear a unique performance, as opposed to selling one artificially created record over and over again. and that's where they are actually making their money.

if you cared to actually investigate how much money musicians get from 1 cd you would find out that it's not a lot.

anyway this discussion is pointless, if you need more arguments you can google them easily

try http://www.bandit.fm

quite often ozbargain.com.au free $10 - $20 coupons come up.

Or there could be a valid coupon available if you google it.

Thankyou. They have a promo at the moment with some songs @50c, so that isn't too bad, however their normal price is more than itunes. Couldn't find any coupons, but if I can get coupons, that would be good.

Back