I've got a bad feeling.........

My Perth tenant rings me today, asks if I've heard from his wife. Apparently they split up a month ago (Newly-weds). Wife has moved out. I'm getting bad vibes. I asked to do an inspection in one week, he asked if he could have 3 weeks. I was at property about a month ago, doing maintenance. At that time, tenant was on computer and said he was looking up accomodation for a friend (for himself??) The lease runs out in 4 weeks. The tenant asked if he could invite friends to live with him. (has already asked a few who have knocked him back). I'm doing inspection in 2 weeks - if everything is sweet, do I give him a month by month lease, in the case another person is to move in. Rent is about 50% of his wages.

Emotional time = instability

I would follow your gut and terminate. It is your senses knowing what your head is denying. The signs are there already. Have a look at them objectively. Ask yourself why would you resist terminating - that may help.

Good luck.

I wouldn't terminate but would make sure my landlords insurance is up to date and I'll be looking at rent payments, any delays in paying the rent is a sign that things could get worse.

I would follow your gut and terminate. It is your senses knowing what your head is denying. The signs are there already. Have a look at them objectively. Ask yourself why would you resist terminating - that may help.

Good luck.

The guy has told you the truth and kept you in the loop.

He is paying his rent.

My wife left a couple of years ago. If my landlord had seen that as a reason to kick me out it couldn't have come at a worse time.

Let the guy retain his home as long as he pays the rent as originally agreed. So he gets a housemate. Better than finding new tenants and having to live with your shallow and self serving decision...

Cheers,

if everything is sweet, do I give him a month by month lease, in the case another person is to move in. Rent is about 50% of his wages.

I'm not sure why you have a bad feeling?

Do you think he won't pay the rent?

Or he's going to trash the place?

Or this other person is going to trash the place?

Get them both on the lease, jointly and severally liable. This will give you a chance to vet them as well.

But I'm not sure of the problem if everything is sweet with the inspection?

BTW one week notice to inspect is "reasonable notice". If a tenant asked for three weeks instead that to me would be even more reason to stick to one week...

The guy has told you the truth and kept you in the loop.

He is paying his rent.

My wife left a couple of years ago. If my landlord had seen that as a reason to kick me out it couldn't have come at a worse time.

Let the guy retain his home as long as he pays the rent as originally agreed. So he gets a housemate. Better than finding new tenants and having to live with your shallow and self serving decision...

Cheers,

I agree, if he'd been stuffing you around with rent etc or damaging the place, fair enough.
But if he's just having a hard time personally, your compassion in allowing him some leeway to find a flatmate may be the right thing to do. Keep us posted!
Good luck :)

I'm not sure why you have a bad feeling?
womens intuition maybe. He doesn't want to live with strangers, fair enough. His wife earnt double what he earnt. I feel a little uncomfortable he won't be able to pay rent if he doesnt get someone else in.

Do you think he won't pay the rent?

Or he's going to trash the place?

Or this other person is going to trash the place?

Get them both on the lease, jointly and severally liable. This will give you a chance to vet them as well.

But I'm not sure of the problem if everything is sweet with the inspection?

I just want to be prepared. I'm not that good with thinking on the spot!!

BTW one week notice to inspect is "reasonable notice". If a tenant asked for three weeks instead that to me would be even more reason to stick to one week...

Yer that bit probably rocked me a bit. I've given him 2 weeks.

I've got some previous tenants who want to rent the property also while they build their new house. I wasn't sure if I should suggest if they all want to rent together, at least I know the old tenants. I'm going to speak to the current tenants ex-wife today and fish around for some more info. I could be worrying about nothing

I'm going to speak to the current tenants ex-wife today and fish around for some more info. I could be worrying about nothing

If he's only got 4 weeks left on the Lease, then you aren't "kicking him out".

This is a perfect example of people's private lives and all of the nuances that go along with it, affecting your cashflows unnecessarily.

I would highly recommend you DO NOT go "fishing" for more info. You'll simply get caught up in some web of half truths and untold stories that you will never be able to confirm. Simply let the Lease naturally efflux, collect his last 4 weeks rent and then install new Tenants.

The WA RTA allows you to bring prospective Tenants through in the final 21 days of the Lease, so use this time wisely to show them through. If nothing else, it shows the Tenant you are professional and business like.

Cut him as much slack as the Bank will cut you over this issue.

...sad but true, Dazz.

you can either risk a month2month arrangement or risk new tenants wanting a roof while they build and have no care for somewhere they are already familiar with.

familiarity breeds contempt.

both are risks IMO.

Too late Dazz, I already fished. She doesn't have a bad word to say. I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks if it's all OK. Maybe he just wants to have the place perfect in the hope I don't put up the rent. A month 2 month sounds like best option. I have to read up onthe rules.
Good point BC, familiarity breeds contempt.

Just be aware to check your landlord insurance (if you have any on that property) covers you if you let the contract lapse into a month to month situation.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile taking our landlord insurance and putting him on a three month lease to see how things pan out?

Why Periodic Tenancy?

Invstor

Unless you have other plans for this IP, why would you want to have a periodic tenancy?

Tenant is only obliged to give 21 days notice to leave, whereas Landlord has to give tenant 60 days notice.

Fixed-term tenancy gives more certainty to both parties in my opinion.

Joe D

Self-managers always risk mixing business with friendship/compassion/charity when they're personally dealing with tenants.

At the end of the day, you have an investment that you are relying on to make you money, especially when your investment strategy is dependent on consistent rental income.

There are heaps of fantastic prospective tenants in Perth (I know from having family there) so I'd terminate on the 'no reason' ground under the WA residential tenancy rules and just move on. Perhaps it's better that your tenant moves on too due to the painful memories.

thanks everyone for responses. I've got a few idea's in my head which is a mixture of responses and I need to work out a time plan too. I'll update you on decision. Another thing that happended that day was that I got an email from interstate PM saying lease was almost up. Did i want to offer another lease at same price or increase it? :confused: I don't know?? Ended up researching and say I thought it was already under-rented. Get reply today, "yes we think so too". Having a PM is not always the easy option, I wish it was!

Back