jacaranda Tree

Just bought a house in sydney, and has a Jacaranda tree in the back yard, its quite large probably about 10-15 metres high, the branches dont overlap the house, but the leaves would definetly fall into the gutters...

i have a few questions, are you allowed to cut down a jacaranda tree, since its native to brazil and not australia...if not, has anyone successfully applied to get one cut down in there property... i really like the tree cause it looks nice, but its just grown too big and am concerned about any branches falling on the garage...or on my head :) , in fact i wouldnt mind just trimming the thing down to a manageable size.

thanks

I'd just prune it. We have a monster of a street tree that I'm sure is significant in front of our house and the council periodically come to prune it. Twice now I've caught them and dictated how I'd like it pruned.

My mother has three large council trees 2 of which are significant next to her property and her council come and prune at her request after an arborist does his recommendation on which branches should go (trees are now irregular shaped with none hovering her property :p).

Having it removed however may be tricky if it's significant. Mind you it's such a beautiful tree and unless it's more than a leaf in the gutter problem or concern for falling branches I'd just leave it.

jacarandas are a beautiful tree. i agree if they get overwhelming if not pruned to shape but they provided lovely shade in summer and let the sun thru in winter. they only drop their leaves at one time of the year - so do make a real mess when they do, but you're not constantly cleaning up.

i'd get the tree pruned to form a canopy, shaped properly and put leave guard in your gutters.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts.

so i guess i will put in an application to the council, to get it pruned, so that its not a danger to the garage. hopefully they have some common sense and allow me to get it done.

you are right about the tree, right now its blooming and does look really beautiful, the whole yard is purple/blue.

When I said 'I'd just prune it', I meant without any council permission. That's just me though.

The last thing you want is the tree on the council radar and them telling you need to pay for an arborist to advise on the pruning.

Depending on which municipality you live in...you will have to apply for permission to either A) remove it/cut it down substantially or B)remove substantial branches/prune it even if it is a non-native.
We found this out after having 2 species of weed trees (originating from China apparently) which tripled in size over 5 years. Since the base of the trunks were over 20cm thick we would have had to pay $80/tree to apply to cut them down...legally.

Make sure you get it professionally pruned by someone experienced with jacarandas.

When you prune them, they have a nasty habit of shooting new branches vertically into the air from the branch which has been pruned, which can look really strange and spoil the natural shape of the tree.
Marg

When I said 'I'd just prune it', I meant without any council permission. That's just me though.

The last thing you want is the tree on the council radar and them telling you need to pay for an arborist to advise on the pruning.

i was thinking the same, maybe i will do a little bit at a time...

Make sure you get it professionally pruned by someone experienced with jacarandas.

When you prune them, they have a nasty habit of shooting new branches vertically into the air from the branch which has been pruned, which can look really strange and spoil the natural shape of the tree.
Marg

very good to know...thanks for that....and now more things to consider :eek:

Back