Jenmans story...

Australian Story has to be one of the best TV shows. Don't agree with everything he says but he's the only one who speaks out about the dodgy RE operators.

If only Jenman wasn't such a darn drama queen. He's always "the sky is falling, the sky is falling". If you listen to him, the whole RE industry is rotten to the core .
Sure there's some bad apples, but every industry has them ..more or less. Look at Mr. Pratt and the millions he's ripped off the community with his cardboard boxes... he's made himself $5.4 billion and we fine him a mere $30 mill..total chicken crap to him ... and he's still the PMs "mate".

LL

If only Jenman wasn't such a darn drama queen. He's always "the sky is falling, the sky is falling". If you listen to him, the whole RE industry is rotten to the core .

The industry is pretty bad.. its got way more than its fair share of sharks and rip-off merchants.. and the whole "Real Estate Agent" profession is beset with issues that seriously make me think IS rotten to the core at times.

Guess we're just lucky or something... but most REAs that we have dealt with seem about "reasonable". Can't say there has ever been one that has trully dudded us.
:confused:
LL

Jenman has made a lot of money from his 'consumer advocacy'. Regardless of what he says, he's still running a real estate franchise and uses the media to drive people away from his compeditors towards his own 'approved agents'.

Buyers would be much better off if they simply realised that the agent doesn't act for them, they act in the interest of the person paying them, the vendor. Learning a few negotiating skills and doing market research doesn't hurt either.

In the US, for example, buyers hire their OWN agents. But not in the same way as we use buyers agents here. Buyers hire an agent from another agency, and they split the selling agent's commission.
Alex

Buyers would be much better off if they simply realised that the agent doesn't act for them, they act in the interest of the person paying them, the vendor.

An agent acts in the interests of the agent only. If that happens to be compatible with the interests of the person paying them then that is a coincidence.

Last edited:
The industry is pretty bad.. its got way more than its fair share of sharks and rip-off merchants.. and the whole "Real Estate Agent" profession is beset with issues that seriously make me think IS rotten to the core at times.

I agree the industry sucks. there is no way I would be an agent, take on all that risk and work dealing with the idiocy of the general populace all on the chance that the real estate may sell and they you may be entitled and may get paid for the effort. Agents are a valuable component of my list of contractors and I pay them well for hard work performed

As an ex Jenman office i can tell you stories that would make your hair curl.

Thankfully our new Principal has years of experience in the industry and is practical in his application.

We are phasing out the Jenman system in favour of a more professional pragmatic approach to sales and property management.

Hopefully it is called moving with the times./

As an ex Jenman office i can tell you stories that would make your hair curl.

Thankfully our new Principal has years of experience in the industry and is practical in his application.

We are phasing out the Jenman system in favour of a more professional pragmatic approach to sales and property management.

Hopefully it is called moving with the times./

Please expand, i would like curly hair,

no i'm being serious, alot of people come on here and say this, i want to hear your stories please,

Not that you know of. eg: Conditioning etc...

Its not the agents, its the RE system thats crooked as. The tricks they use have been developed over many years and most buyers/ sellers dont know whats happening. If an agent cant work within that system then he/she will find it hard to be an agent.

I love the reaction i get when i mention the word 'conditioning' with every agent i deal with. It varies from complete silence to denial. One just looked at me, got up walked out my front door, got in her car and drove off....now that was funny.

She realised instantly she couldnt work with a seller that knows the inner workings of RE agents games. There are plenty of tricks they use and conditioning is probably the most effective and most common.

http://www.realchoicemortgages.com.au/dictionary_topics/conditioning.asp

http://www.lawyersrealestate.com.au/blogger/2006/08/conditioning-property-owners.asp

Can't say there has ever been one that has trully dudded us.
:confused:
LL

The thoughts of Neil Jenman

I doubt many here would put themselves in this position so it is of general interest only. Lifted it out of HC.

Worried about interest rate rises?
by Neil Jenman

Every day, after he finishes work, Conrad Joseph stops briefly at a five-star hotel. Striding up to the reception desk, he hands over his credit card and books a room for the night.

And then he gets back into his car and drives home.

The hotel room – for which Conrad gets a special rate because he's a regular – is never used. It's in darkness all night.

Why, you may ask, would someone behave in such a strange manner? How odd.

But Conrad Joseph is not alone. Hundreds of thousands of Australians are doing the same thing. Well, not exactly, but their behaviour is almost identical to that of Conrad Joseph (who, by the way, is a fictional example used to illustrate a factual phenomenon).

Each night, all over our nation, millions of home owners pay for rooms they never use, rooms that are left in darkness. They have big loans on big homes filled with empty bedrooms.

There are around six million empty bedrooms in our nation. And all of them cost money. Whether the money is a monthly mortgage payment or the initial purchase price of the home, the fact remains – empty bedrooms are costing us hundreds of millions of dollars. It makes as much sense as paying for a five-star hotel room and never using it.

And yet so many people do it. They get up early to travel to work to earn a big income and then come home late, all to pay a big mortgage for rooms they never use.

Today, mortgage payments control – even cripple – the lives of so many people. Said one home owner, "I am cutting down on the time I spend in the shower, so I can save on the water bill." And thousands of couples are turning off lights to save money on their electricity bills.

In the Sydney suburb of Kellyville – which, like many suburbs in our cities, is being taken over by those huge homes (nicknamed Mc Mansions) on tiny allotments – here's an example of just one high income couple stuck with their high repayments. Their home has five bedrooms. They both work and, although they rarely see each other, they still sleep together – in one room. The running costs of the home added to the repayments force them to watch every cent. They only use four rooms – a bedroom, a kitchen, a bathroom and, occasionally the TV room. The rest of the home is empty and dark. It's one of thousands of homes of darkness.

Sure, we have the lowest interest rates in recent history. But this hasn't made most homebuyers conservative, all it's done is make them spend more – not on basic essentials, but on luxuries, on the look, the glamour and the glitz. Why? To impress others. To fulfil the modern image of success.

But is battling to pay a mortgage, worrying about the water and power bills, scrimping to go out to dinner or the movies, rarely seeing friends and family, what we call success? Surely not.

Modern home owners are drowning in a flood of unnecessary self-inflicted debt. Low interest rates have led to high spending rates. Home affordability is worse than in the days of 17 per cent rates.

And what if these low interest rates rise? How many people understand that a half a per cent interest hike is a ten per cent hike in payments? No, it's not until they see nothing left in their purses that they start to wonder what they've done.

All those empty bedrooms, all those big payments, are creating emptiness in millions of lives.

With property prices declining, instead of using the so-called savings to increase the size of their home, homebuyers should think about increasing their happiness. As the playwright, Ibsen, wrote, "Home life ceases to be free and beautiful when it is founded on borrowing and debt."

If you are buying a home at the moment, place your happiness first. You may see plenty of beautiful homes but you don't hear the other side – the incessant struggle to pay for these homes. Yes, sure you may want it. But, do you need it? There is a difference. If you want to increase your happiness – and we all do – then here's the answer – just decrease your wants.

Don't give your life to your mortgage. Think about this – the word 'mortgage' comes from the French; it means 'agreement unto death'.

Don't let your mortgage be the death of your happiness.

Don't pay for rooms you never use. You wouldn't pay for a hotel room without using it, so don't do it with your family home.

We all need happy homes filled with light and laughter. Not homes of darkness.

Thanks Thommo,

Interesting read and I liked the analogy. I tried to give you some kudos but got told I need to spread it around a bit first. Seems I like your work a bit too much lately! :D

We don't have any darkness in our house so to speak. In fact, we're in the process of extending to add another room just so we've got the space to live comfortably. And, we're doing a lot of the work ourselves to save some dollars, and have only commenced this tiny extension after we've paid off the original mortgage. We're adding a single extra room to take the total to four. That's a master bedroom for Kay and I, one room for Aden, one for the guest bedroom when Mum and Dad or friends come to stay and the last one for the home office. At the moment the home office and the guest bedroom are one and the same room. Its a bit pokey edging past the guest queen bed to fit to the corner office desk, and its a bit awkward when you've got friends staying over and you need to use the computer...

That aught to do it though. And the whole extension is going to cost about $7K in total. Helps to be a bit handy... And, given this is an investment site, its probably worth observing that the $7K reno will add significantly more than that to the value of our PPOR allowing that much more equity to LOC against for IPs/Shares etc. Its also a bit hard to over-capitalise on the site as its 1600m2 of sub-tropical rainforest only 800m from the beach. An extra room would probably be an expectation for this location. In fact, our single bathroom and single loo are probably a downside that we might need to think about one day. But for now we are more than happy. The guests don't seem to complain too much when they stay over either. ;)

Cheers,
Michael

Well I live in one of those Kellyville McMansions and couldn't be happier! Do we go out less...yes, but give me a BBQ in the backyard anytime. We are finnally in a house we are going to spend the next 15 years in. Spare bedrooms yep, but I'm sure they will get full in the coming years.

Do we go out less...yes, but give me a BBQ in the backyard anytime.
Backyard? You call THAT a backyard!

400m2 with a 250m2 footprint perhaps... :rolleyes:

Only kidding. BBQs don't need much space to be fun. Shame about the lack of public transport options though. My brother just sold his Kellyville McMansion and moved to QLD on a 5 acre block. Now he can buyer a bigger BBQ! :D

Cheers,
Michael.

Yeah that is one drawback. Its 600sqm and the place we had before was 850sqm. As Jenmans article says it's about increasing your happiness. All the time I had to spend mowing lawns and gardening is now spent with my son.

The thread was an announcement re Australian Story and as such is getting off topic.

I'm locking the thread.

Back