Job offer - how to best handle

Hi all, looking for input from others on current situation as I am too close and getting tunnel vision :eek:

Currently working for a company who has made me redundant. They have however as part of the deal asked me to stay until Sept 30. So they keep paying my salary and then Sept 30 will pay me my severance and a bonus.

Quicker than expected I have interviewed for another company and made it to final 3. I am meeting again with potential future boss this Friday for a final interview.

I know they will not wait until October 1 as when I mentioned this in first round of interview they said they would want someone in place sooner. In order to leave my options open I told them I would need to work with my existing employer to see what we could do.

So no doubt question on availability will be raised again this Friday.

I am thinking of the following approach -

1) I tell them that I have a significant $$ incentive to stay until October 1.
2) To secure me as a candidate and lock in firm date I would need a letter of offer with an incentive (ie- sign on bonus).

Just not sure how to communicate the sign on bonus letter without sounding too greedy !

My boss is overseas and other option is to ask my boss to let me go earlier once the work I need to complete is done. This however will not be known until July after project I am working on comes alive. I am however thinking a Sept 1 date should be fine.

Final option is to commit to Sept 1 date with new employer and then take vaction/sick leave during month of Sept.

Appreciate others input here as I get ready for my Friday meeting !!!

What will you lose if you quit your current job right now?
Considering you're already redundant, why not move on ASAP.
It's not a good impression to the new employer that you can't start for 3 or 4 months.
Do you have something special the other 2 shortlisted candidates don't?

Do you have the dreaded golden handcuffs? I've you don't get your redundancy money unless you stay until the end date?

That is a tough situation if so.

My boss is overseas and other option is to ask my boss to let me go earlier once the work I need to complete is done.

This - explain your situation to your boss. They obviously know that everyone is hunting around for a new job, so it will be no surprise that you need to talk to them about new position start date.

Worst they can do is say no - its not like you'll be burning bridges.

Make sure you have the conversation before you meet your new employer next. That way you can tell them that you've had the conversation with your boss about an earlier conclusion date & what the outcome was. I definately wouldnt be sacraficing the redundancy payout though (unless you have your heart set on this new job).

I would stick around and collect the redundancy pay. During this time I would try to up-skill myself and improve my network.

Depends on the size of the redundancy.

Also, the redundancy may not be guaranteed. If by 30 Sept, they find you a job they deem to be a fit based on education, experience and description, they can screw you out of a redundancy.

Best to see if you can get a redundancy paid out now.

Was in a similar situation with the redundancy, I was asked to stay, I asked them to guarantee the redundancy, manager said yes, HR said no.

So i took my redundancy and left. :)

Is it possible to work super long hours at the old job to allow you to finish at an earlier time that will allow you to start the new job at a time that's convienent for them so you can still get a reduncancy?

Is it possible to start at the new job when they want and finish the project at your old job in the evenings and weekends so you can still get a reduncancy?

Some blend of the above options?

Is it possible to work super long hours at the old job to allow you to finish at an earlier time that will allow you to start the new job at a time that's convienent for them so you can still get a reduncancy?

Is it possible to start at the new job when they want and finish the project at your old job in the evenings and weekends so you can still get a reduncancy?

Some blend of the above options?

Lateral thinking... I like it.

It really all boils down to mathematics.

Do your sums.

Compare the value of the retrenchment payout to the value of the new job.

Obviously it would be nice to have both, but that is not always possible.
Marg

Is this new company is a company you want to work for?

Is the new boss someone you want to work with?

Is it a role where you can grow and learn fast, and (hopefully) with improved salary?

If the answers to the above are yes, seriously consider moving now.

If one of them is a no, you might be better off staying and look for the next opportunity. The fact that you're made redundant make it easy - no need to sneak around for interview etc.

Money is only one part of the equation to accept or reject a new role, especially when you have the choice.

Back