Job Offer Too Good To Be True?

I think different things suit different guys. I'm always clean-shaven, but some guys look/feel better not, I guess.

I don't think you were being rude, you were just trying to offer some advice. But to his credit, facial hair isn't like a tattoo. Just because he has it one day, doesn't mean he'll turn up to a job with it the next day. :)

SO, it's women like you and Mick's wife, that are the reason men don't shave. :mad: :) Haha I prefer the clean shaven look, but seem to be in the minority of women.

This is true.

Haha, no I used to hate facial hair. But my boyfriend would just look strange without any facial hair; possibly like a kid.

A friend showed me a photo of him when he was 21 or so without facial hair, I would've said he was 16! It was hilarious!

I do, for what it's worth, prefer when he keeps it tame. He doesn't have a full on beard or anything, but on the weekends he tends to let it do it's thing....

When did I ever say anything on the contrary?

When you spelt this out ?

It is unlikely you will be hired with facial hair.

Why? Because agents don't want their representatives to look "rough". No matter how well maintained the facial hair is. I've even heard of men having to remove studs in their ears because it wasn't "acceptable".

All I meant was, I'm sure he knew all that already.

On a side note, I drove past the agent where I applied for tonight, compared to the multiple agents next to it, they have not one house for sale in the window, compared to the others who have their windows full of them.

I guess this creates imagination in the customer looking through the window and the illusion that they dont need to advertise etc

Interesting.

Cheers

Mick

personally if i am selling a property i don't want any potential buyers to have to play hide and seek to find out my property is for sale, i want billboards, internet, magazines, newspapers the lot. It is often the underbidder(s) on a property that gets u a great price not the actual buyer so I want as many as possible to see it, just a numbers game.

Also I have seen many many people buy property when they were not really looking and stumbled across it from agent magazine in coffee shop etc, bit hard to find an impulse buyer when your listing is hidden inside the agency!

When you spelt this out ?

I tend to over emphasize (spelling?) things, in fact, if you knew me you'd know I say the one thing about 6 times over in the same sentence just to make things clearer, not sure why.

I know Mick isn't stupid, neither is my boyfriend but he's learnt that I repeat myself often.

UPDATE :

Well, I woke up at 9am today. Shower, shave and fresh to go out and see what I can find. I visit every real estate agent in town and pretty much get the same answer from all of them. "Look, im very sorry, but we do not have any positions available at the moment. You can leave your resume here. If one comes up, we will call you".

Oh well, worth a try.

On another note, the information booklets turned up today from the position I applied for. Wow!!! So much training and information. Seems they really want to make sure I am the right person for the job before handing over that 77k PA.

I can appreciate a company who focuses on training though, I have worked for both types in the past and can vouch for a thorough training course to make sure one does their job to the best of their ability.

I have a questionare to fill out and send back if I have any further interest in applying for a position. I am filling it out as we speak and will be hand delivering it tomorrow morning. From what I can read at the moment, there is 3 months training, 3 months trial period before a full time position is even considered.

Wish me luck. I'll be giving it my best shot :D

Cheers

Mick

I visit every real estate agent in town and pretty much get the same answer from all of them. "Look, im very sorry, but we do not have any positions available at the moment. You can leave your resume here. If one comes up, we will call you".

Wish me luck. I'll be giving it my best shot :D

I've "created" two positions for myself.

I never listen when someone says they don't have something. I say thanks and oh, do you have a card for such and such, they say sure, I take it and give them a call in a few days and voila, interview!

Good luck!!!

How'd you do it ?

I knw one acct exec at my work when I frist startd and wanted to get into sales told me how he got a interview, missed out and when he got the call telling him so, he asked if he could come in and talk about he went andwhat he could look at improving. The manager told him to come in and after a chat he got earmarked for the next vacany which was so close around the corner, ther was no need to advertise again, he got the job.

Leave them no other option except to say yes. I remember my bf told me this when first looking for jobs and I thought he was an idiot and it was impossible. However, I found out if you're just really persistant you will usually get an interview then it's about working your magic and telling them why the want you!

I'm not sure about this job I don't know much about RE agents but I want the Google car driver street view gig .

What a job , I don't mind a few eggs thrown at me now and then !

Cheers

Leave them no other option except to say yes. I remember my bf told me this when first looking for jobs and I thought he was an idiot and it was impossible. However, I found out if you're just really persistant you will usually get an interview then it's about working your magic and telling them why the want you!

So what positions were you able to get created for you after they told you they had nothing ?

Defintley the way to go, but we all "knew that" alrady - HOW to do it is what I don't know !

How did you literally do it - what did you say and what did you get beacuse of it ?

Great story so early into your career

One was a receptionist, I saw them before I moved down and got the whole, we don't have anything. I kept in contact with them whilst in Sydney before the move. They still weren't so keen and didn't believe they had anything, by the time I got back they remembered who I was and we had a chat, and they decided they may like another receptionist to train up.

The other was a new position all together. I walked into an agency and sat down with the director and she also said they didn't have anything. That afternoon I got a call from their copywriter who said she'd been considering someone to take on as her PA but wasn't sure she needed one yet and would I be willing to have an interview, but no promises. She owned her own business within the agency and until she bought me on she was working out of that agencies office. Once she had me in tow we opened our own office and set up the business separately from the agency.

Both offered me the position on the spot.

The one i'm at now also said that they had nothing and they'd keep my resume on file. A few weeks later they did actually call me.

The two ones above I managed to be able to talk to the directors on the spot, which helped. I was able to tell them why I was there, what I wanted and how I could make that work for them too and a lot about myself.

I found being young, passionate and mature worked well too. I was able to tell them that I moved to Melbourne by myself, my parents were investors and that helped spur my passion for the industry, I was willing to start from the bottom and work my way up blah blah blah...Until my employment they also didn't know I was 18, which was another handy way to get a small pay rise :D

UPDATE:

Recieved a letter today from the estate agent I applied with, long story short, "thanks, but no thanks" was the response they gave me.

Oh well, one door closes and another one just opened :)

Another update due Monday. :)

Cheers

Mick

UPDATE :

Well, not much has happened since I was last here.

I had an interview booked in with a different career in mind, New car sales with Volkswagen, 3 hours before the interview they call me to tell me te jobs filled and not to worry coming down. I was a little peeved :mad:

Another position has popped its head up and we are due to set an interview date. Anyone here worked as a salesperson for a high volume home builder selling new homes?

Never thought id see myself selling brand new houses and helping customers with getting their new home built etc, sounds like a fun job.

Cheers, Mick

Anyone here worked as a salesperson for a high volume home builder selling new homes?
From memory, Sparky was doing something along these lines, although I haven't seen her posting for a while. Perhaps dig up some of her old posts.

Regardless, good luck with it.

Regards
Marty

From memory, Sparky was doing something along these lines, although I haven't seen her posting for a while.

Yeah, I miss Sparky and her late Friday night ramblings after a glass or 2 of the beverage made from pressing grapes :p
She went to work for GJ Gardner Homes from memory.

Back