Jobseeking

I gave 4 weeks notice to my company 2 weeks ago. I havent been hunting at full pace yet as its difficult to arrange time off work to go to interviews, but be ive still had 3. All paying between 5k and 20k more than im on now. They say the IT job market is **** atm, but I feel I have a good set of skills & experiences. Time will tell.

Being in IT, I get most of my contract work from SEEK. LinkedIn gets me a few phone calls and emails. When I get close to the end of a contract I'm phoning as many recruiters as possible to remind them that I exist and am looking for contract work, apply for positions and follow up with a phone call to get more details, eg pay rate and client.

I did have a break from IT for a couple of years and had a similar experience when trying to get back in, that 2 year gap made it difficult but once I got the first contract it was fairly easy to move around. The agencies are just interested in filling a position and getting their cut, so if my job descriptions or position titles don't match the job/position they have going you won't get a call, really need to have a few incarnations of the CV tailored for each role you are going for.

Best of luck
Regards
Graeme

It's difficult for a person beginning (again) to find much through Seek- by the time it gets onto Seek they've probably already been through their pile of unsolicited resumes from people with training but no experience.

I don't think LinkedIn is much better- but at least I have revamped and updated my profile there a little. I've linked my LinkedIn profile to Somersoft.

My gap is eight years, so it's a big thing getting back in.

I know that I would have to move. No matter who wins, the job situation will not get any better here.

I have something in mind which will give me a little experience, which might just help when it comes time.

I did go down one dead end. There was a company called iChip Solutions which gave training in testing, and promised a chance at certification, help with resumes and help in getting a job.

The training was provided- however it was a little ad hoc, with very little in the way of training material. When I finished that part, I had to pay the balance of the fees- almost $1800 in total. After that, I heard nothing from them despite attempting to contact a number of times. No help with certification, resumes or job seeking- not even a statement of attainment.

So I have nothing to show for that training which I did do, except for a receipt- which I can't use for tax, even if I had enough income to pay tax.

Just went for an interview. They sounded very happy with me, I think im a shoe in. Except they want a police clearance. I did some wrongdoings nearly 10 years ago. If they call me back should I try to explain it to them or politely decline? Im concerned if I explain it to them they'll tell the recruitment agency and then they'll exclude me.

Just went for an interview. They sounded very happy with me, I think im a shoe in. Except they want a police clearance. I did some wrongdoings nearly 10 years ago. If they call me back should I try to explain it to them or politely decline? Im concerned if I explain it to them they'll tell the recruitment agency and then they'll exclude me.

Depends what the wrong doings specifically were as to if they are on your
criminal history sheet or not.

In certain positions....they will also look at spent convictions....

Depends whether they do a no exemption check. Usually if they are misdeanors .... such drink drive...minor assault...they may look past it....

But in more sensitive positions it will rule you out from a risk perspective. Always read the paperwork...if they not getting an excemption from spent convictions...then no need to declare so long as 10 plus years have passed and the convitions are minor in nature.

Spent convictions may apply- depending on which side of 10 years
http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/spent-convictions-scheme.aspx

Last edited:
One stepdaughter is working for the government in Canberra and applied for a new position.

She had to provide details (dates/addresses) or every place she had visited overseas in the last 10 years ... plus everyone she lived with in the last 5 years had to have a background check!

Don't know what the job is as rather hush hush (and, no, not ASIO) - but the pay is brilliant

One stepdaughter is working for the government in Canberra and applied for a new position.

She had to provide details (dates/addresses) or every place she had visited overseas in the last 10 years ... plus everyone she lived with in the last 5 years had to have a background check!

Don't know what the job is as rather hush hush (and, no, not ASIO) - but the pay is brilliant

Yes, that's standard procedure to get a security clearance. So many jobs in Canberra require you to have a security clearance, but you can't get a clearance without having a job which requires a clearance.

(A few advertise "eligible for clearance" but they would probably have a high turnover as a result).

Bahaha just reminded me of the ex. She had just spent the prior 3-5 years travelling to over 40 countries, many of them up to half a dozen times each.

Never seen her so frustrated before that day. Lot of head scratching

In certain positions....they will also look at spent convictions....

Depends whether they do a no exemption check. Usually if they are misdeanors .... such drink drive...minor assault...they may look past it....

But in more sensitive positions it will rule you out from a risk perspective. Always read the paperwork...if they not getting an excemption from spent convictions...then no need to declare so long as 10 plus years have passed and the convitions are minor in nature.

Spent convictions can be removed

Yes, that's standard procedure to get a security clearance. So many jobs in Canberra require you to have a security clearance, but you can't get a clearance without having a job which requires a clearance.

(A few advertise "eligible for clearance" but they would probably have a high turnover as a result).

you can paid for your own clearance out of pocket

Probably AFP ...they have random drug test and stuff and very generous leave and pay...

Back