Jobseeking

you can paid for your own clearance out of pocket

There is a police clearance which can be obtained easily for a small cost.

The security level required by some government agencies though is a much higher level check and is only available through the course of employment. I suspect it's expensive which is why many agencies require it before employing a person.

There is a police clearance which can be obtained easily for a small cost.

The security level required by some government agencies though is a much higher level check and is only available through the course of employment. I suspect it's expensive which is why many agencies require it before employing a person.

Most jobs I got offered ask for you to under go security clearance but doesn't required you to have one.

Once I start the job they begin the process...takes any where between 6 weeks to 3 months....

Seriously rule out a good suitable candidate just because they currently don't hold a clearance is just bad recruitment process.

from what I understand if you willing to folk out 20-30K for the process, the job agency can easily sponsor you and initiate the process...maybe shoot an email to these guys

http://www.defence.gov.au/agsva/faqs.htm

Most jobs I got offered ask for you to under go security clearance but doesn't required you to have one.

Once I start the job they begin the process...takes any where between 6 weeks to 3 months....
From some research. Many of the jobs advertised on Seek are for contractors- so they require immediate start. An agency would not be happy about hiring somebody on a six month contract and having them out of action for the first 3 months of that.

However apparently some agencies advertise for somebody with a clearance when the requirement is actually for somebody who can and will undergo the clearance process.

from what I understand if you willing to folk out 20-30K for the process, the job agency can easily sponsor you and initiate the process...maybe shoot an email to these guys

http://www.defence.gov.au/agsva/faqs.htm
According to the FAQ in that link you can't initiate the process yourself. But I'm nopt sure if an agency can actually sponsor you. The wording seems to imply that an employer can sponsor you- but an agency is not an employer
AGSVA said:
If you are an external service provider contracted to do work for an Australian Government Agency a request for you, or your employees, for a security clearance will be made by the relevant Agency on your behalf.

Would you be interested in being a security guard. My dad did it after being an electrical engineer. He took two years off work after a voluntary redundancy then got gun licence and did a security course and worked part-time for Armourgaurd, etc. My son's friend dad injured his back and could no longer be a mechanic so he recently changed to security and has got a job at the airport. Lots of demand for employees.

Would you be interested in being a security guard. My dad did it after being an electrical engineer. He took two years off work after a voluntary redundancy then got gun licence and did a security course and worked part-time for Armourgaurd, etc. My son's friend dad injured his back and could no longer be a mechanic so he recently changed to security and has got a job at the airport. Lots of demand for employees.
Thanks, I'm not interested in that.

A daughter's boyfriend was working in security. He loved long periods of doing nothing. I couldn't stand it.

And I hate guns.

I'm doing the computing course because I really enjoy that work, and I'd rather take the time to get back into that career rather than do something which I don't know if I'd like or not- or something I would not like at all.

Finish up at my company of 3yrs this Friday. Booked in for VMWare course next week. About 4 interviews lined up.

Good luck Dave.

Unfortunately I have an eight year gap between my previous IT experience and now.

Two thoughts:

1. Teach yourself how to write mobile apps, become a developer and sell them?

2. Become a successful YouTube video blogger in a specific field and get ad revenue.

Eg

EEVblog in Sydney does videos on electronic engineering stuff, gets huge viewership and can support himself (though he does run a forum as well)

Ashens in the UK gets even more by buying stuff from $2 shops and lampooning it. His video set is a daggy couch (no other shots) so no production costs.

Two thoughts:

1. Teach yourself how to write mobile apps, become a developer and sell them?

2. Become a successful YouTube video blogger in a specific field and get ad revenue.

Eg

EEVblog in Sydney does videos on electronic engineering stuff, gets huge viewership and can support himself (though he does run a forum as well)

Ashens in the UK gets even more by buying stuff from $2 shops and lampooning it. His video set is a daggy couch (no other shots) so no production costs.
Mobile Apps (iOS and Android I believe) are on the course- the last units to complete.

But I'm a techo. I can't see myself with the originality to produce something new- either in Apps or Youtube.

This is almost my only genre in Youtube so far- a group I now sing with, but I hadn't joined when I shot it.

With one more week of the course to go, I've been offered a job- pending security clearance, which shouldn't be a problem.

It's entry level IT, but with the chance to progress, with lots of opportunity for training in all sorts of paths.

In one way it's almost a pity, as I had been planning a big OS trip- my first holiday in 10 years. But I really wanted to get back into the field. I found out during my study that I still really enjoy IT, and now I can finish my working career doing something I like.

Congratulations geoff, I'm in IT too and can myself in the field until I'm ready to finish paid work, that's if It doesn't all end up in India :eek:

The clearance took a while. I start work tomorrow (March 3rd).

So my first pay for over twelve months. My first job for nine years where I can go home and not have the strong possibility of people calling me. And the next public holiday will be my first paid one for as long as I can remember (I was a contractor in IT).

Grats Geoff. I'm proud that someone of your age is back in the work force instead of just giving up like some others i know...

I'm 6 months into my new job as of last week and they've kept me :p but its flown by

Back