Jude H on Today Tonight

G'day Jude,

Seems like you've mastered it!
Bought four houses in one year,got junior on the road to millionairesville.
What will you do for an encore?
You've done the lot in one whole year.
Next could be the seminar tours, "how I Made it in One Year".
I couldn't get my kids interested in investing, no matter how much
I tried.
Jude, in which suburbs are these four houses located?

Bruce G.

Winners make it happen.
Loses let it happen.

Hi Bruce,

I may be being overly sensitive at 1.45 in the morning, not sure if you are serious or making fun. So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and my sincere apologies if that was not your intention.

Seems like you've mastered it!

Anyone that thinks that about themselves needs serious help. Always something new to learn.

What will you do for an encore?

Invest with Steve Navra.

You've done the lot in one whole year.

Not true. I'm still working. :-(

Next could be the seminar tours, "how I Made it in One Year".

Not quite, but I have spoken to my sons school headmaster about the segment. He agrees that the current educational system does not offer anything along these lines so will be discussing us doing talks with the students. Possibly get the parents along as well.

I couldn't get my kids interested in investing, no matter how much
I tried.

I don't think they can be forced. You need to find a motivating force. Ours was accidental. I told Andrew about Dolf De Roos. The rest they say is history.

Jude, in which suburbs are these four houses located?

2 in Caroline Springs, 1 in Hoppers Crossing and 1 in Yarraville

Andrew is more than happy to answer any questions. Asy invited him into the chat room last night. He had a ball. Thanks everyone for being so nice to him. It reinforced 10 fold his belief in himself and what he is doing. He even got stopped when he was walking the dog tonight (yes, one of his chores!) because someone had questions about what we are doing.

Thankyou to everyone for the positive feedback, Andrew reads it all.

Hi Jude, and Andrew (and Mathew, coz I'm sure he doesn's want to be left out!!!)

Again, congrats on what you have achieved, and Andrew, thanks for coming in to the chat room the other night, Sasha loved talking to you!!

I have a question to ask you, Jude or Andrew...

When one of you has time, would you be kind enough to post exactly what the full deal is...

what I mean is, OK, Andrew gets $100 per week, and has to buy "All his own stuff". He has to do chores, and has to invest min 30%. I understood that... but...

What exactly is he supposed to purchase himself, or more accurately, what does he not have to buy?

His food and housing are supplied?
His medical/dental needs are supplied?
School fees and books? (I seem to recal TV thingy said Andrew pays for books?)
I understood that all his recreation is paid for out of this money.

Please feel free not to answer anything which is too private :)

Just wondering, because Sasha wants to do it too, and I am trying to modify it a little because he is only 8. (I have told him that he will have to wait until he is 10 to start it, but I am thinking that we may be able to do a mini version...)

Don't forget, answer at your leisure!! and only if you don't mind :D

Thanks...

asy :D

Jude, you're a legend!

Hi Jude!

From what I have read (I do not own a TV), and from the comments here, congratulations!

I agree wholeheartedly with you: give your kids that head start!

I have had a similar plan as yours with my boys, but not as well developed as yours. So I had a good talk with them :)

A call to anyone out there: did anyone tape the program? I would like to view it at my sister's: her kids could do with the same sort of education!

Cheers
Apprentice Millionaire

I missed the show as well......and would love to see it....

So to all those Melbournites heres the challenge lets see if we can send enough emails to get the segment re-aired by popular demand....

here is a link to the viewer feedback form......

http://todaytonight.com.au/contactus/29924.html

so email away and lets see if we have the power....

cheers
watto

Last edited:
Jude,

My congrads too. From the ad, it could go either way, but they did it well.

This all started with you trying to get hold of the daughter.

Did you manage that in the end??

Jas

Jude,

From all the questions you're getting it sounds like you'll have to write a book about kids & investing and targeted at the reading level of 12 year olds.

If so I want two copies (though my kids will have to learn to read first!)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

My two sons have discussed the idea of Judes story. One would like to do it, but the other is a little more reticent.
Jude, what does your son pay for and what do you pay for?
A Great story, get people [us] thinking outside the square, cant be all bad!!!:D

Thanks PT Bear,

If you can dub it onto another tape i will gladly bring a new blank tape to swap with you.

Cheers
watto

Would you belive this story just aired tonight in Adelaide. Somehow I think we are more than just 30 minutes behind the east coast...........:mad:

bundy

I truly appreciate everyone's interest and will answer all

questions. However, this is the last week of school for my boys

and we have presentation nights, graduation dinners etc and

time is short. I will answer by the end of the week.

Yes, TT did keep their word and have put me in touch with

Andrea Sutton.

Hi Jude,

first of all congratulations & well done...

I also had a couple of questions... how would his $50 a week translate to $400-$500,000 of real estate by the time he is 20? (as many financial institutions would need a paying job to lend such amounts, unless you are his guarantor?)... does that assume he still studies at 20 (at Uni) OR doing some trade?

Can u share what Steve recommends he invests in till he is 18 if not property (again due to TAX implications by being under 18)? (again lending becomes an issue)

Well done once again & thanx in advance...

Cheers,

MannyB.

Questions Answered

We provide food, housing, anything school related and medical.
Andrew provides EVERYTHING else. I think the simpler and clearer you keep it the easier it is to say who pays for what. It's amusing watching a 13 yr old compare prices and the indignation of "I'm not paying that much for that!"

Andrew has always been very keen on doing this, Mathew didn't want to. Same situation as you GeeVee. Sit down and find out why he doesn't want to. With Mathew it was because he wants to be a professional sportsman. When I pointed out that 1/2 the pubs in Richmond (little parental stretching of the truth is allowed) were owned by AFL players and that they do in fact invest heavily he has changed his mind. He keeps his dream and can become wealthy through investing. You just need to find why the reluctance in the first place. Mathew didn't think that you could do both.

We will set up a trust and Andrew will invest in Steve's Managed Fund until he buys his first property. At the moment it's in a Bonus Saver Account with BOM. Andrew will get a P/T job as soon as the law allows it, 14 yrs 9 months. (his choice!!) Savings will be quite substantial and loans will depend on where life takes him at the time.

Any other queries please feel free to ask.

Thanks Jude!!

I have one more question for you!! (sick of them yet? hehe)

Again, please feel free not to answer, it's a kinda personal question.

Do you find that this programme has saved you money or cost you money. What I mean is, were you spending more or less than $100 on all Andrew's peripherals before you started doing this plan?

I understand that the education he is receiving is worth $100 per week!! What I am curious about is has this stemmed the fiscal bloodloss that is a teenager?

Did you find that before this plan was implemented he was costing you more because he didn't realise what things actually cost and how that related to "real money"?

just wondering.. And planning a modified version of this plan for Sasha for next year...

Sasha really wants to do it, but at 8 (well, turns 9 in Jan) i don't want him buying his own clothes quite yet... so I want to do this plan not including clothes until he hits about 13...

Let me know if you have any thoughts on how I can modify this!

thanks

Hi Asy,

on your topic, I was thinking about it as well... after having a listen to Dale's recent presentation in Melbourne it just clicked to me that Jude may be have a trust structure? & through the structure she can make payments to her son (being a teenager you can make income distributions) through the trust in return to some work (ie. mowing the lawns, taking out the rubish, etc...)... not a bad way of minismising tax for the parent & the money is kept in the family ;)

Note: I may be making assumptions here, but it just clicked to me on a good way to incorporate both the child education with your long term financial goals... It's something I may consider when my kids get older...

Cheers,

MannyB.

On Air in Perth 12/12/02 Tonight

A TV promo shows Jude_h story is on Today Tonight, tonight ( 12/12/02) in PERTH @ 6:30pm. HOORAY!!!!!!!......

.....but check this out for journalistic sensationalism or negativity ?? ( you decide) . The presenter for the promo states , and I quote -
" Robbing children of their childhood or is it smart parenting?"

[Originally posted by asy

Sasha really wants to do it, but at 8 (well, turns 9 in Jan) i don't want him buying his own clothes quite yet... so I want to do this plan not including clothes until he hits about 13...

Asy,

It's all in the implementation. I let my kids (5&3) choose their clothes - at the moment, its a choice between offers I've prechoosen, but as they grow a bit older (8/9), they'll get full choice.

Jas

Hi Jas,

Sasha chooses most of his own clothes at the moment, but I choose the volume.

so, I decide he needs a t-shirt and a price limit and he is allowed (in most cases) to choose the shirt.

My point was, he is such a darned hoarder that if I gave him the money and said that he had to buy all his clothes, he'd still be wearing size 4... ripped at the seams...

I give him and his sister the same amount of lollies (not many, I grant you, but sometimes they get, say, a packet of lifesavers...).
Stephie will eat all of hers straight away (but she is only 6) and sasha will have one or two... Then, about a week later, he will appear with 3/4 of a packet of lifesavers, and the first I will know about it is Stephie screaming that he has lollies and she doesn't. Sometimes, but only rarely, he will share them with her, usually he gives her a talk about how she should save them... hehe...

At this stage, I didn't think it fair if I gave him the money, then told him that he HAD to buy 3 T-shirts.. see what I mean?

Back