Judging quality of builder's work...

My draftsperson has suggested I visit some prior projects of builders we're considering to judge the 'quality'.

What would you look for as a sign of good quality building in a relatively new renovation? I suspect it would all look much of a muchness to me!

Project we're doing is reno and extension to Victorian single front in West Melb.

My draftsperson has suggested I visit some prior projects of builders we're considering to judge the 'quality'.

What would you look for as a sign of good quality building in a relatively new renovation? I suspect it would all look much of a muchness to me!

Project we're doing is reno and extension to Victorian single front in West Melb.

Knock on the door of the ex client and introduce yourself and start talking.

They will automatically tell you any problems they had during their building process.

They will tell you if the builder minded changing something at short notice or it was a big drama.

They will tell you if the builder added lots of extras to their contract.

This is the best and only way to judge who you want to commit to. :eek:

I'm quite tall (6'4") and whenever I'm looking around new houses I like to look in all the places than shorter people can't see, such as the tops of wardrobes, above doors, etc. It's funny to see all the shortcuts that tradies take when most people can't see the results.

yep re talking

thanks for the reminder re talking... it's not all about the end result but the process too, esp as budget will be tight on this.

Most important the process,
You need the opportunity to change to something cheaper or dearer without a fuss or argument from the builder.
To many variations can make you go over budget without you realizing it.

If you have engaged your draftsperson to guide you through a formal or informal tender process to select a builder, then use that draftsperson'e professional opinion in assessing the work and/or processes of the pre-selected builders.

Back