July edition of The Somersoft mag - oops I mean API

Hi guys,

The magazine is already at the newsagents. I was under the impression it will by July..

I hope you'd grab a copy :)

Anyhoo, some of my colleagues saw it already at the newsagents (and one on the floor is a subscriber too!). So much for wanting to keep it discrete and thinking people don't go to the newsagents. It was an awkward moment....but it's the cover and it's easy to recognise if you've met us.

The interview we did on SS was 3 years ago and is now outdated. It's been quite a journey. Hope to post about it in detail in the not so distant future.

Cheers,
MsAli

Hi guys,

The magazine is already at the newsagents. I was under the impression it will by July..

Anyhoo, some of my colleagues saw it already at the news agents. So much for wanting to keep it discrete and thinking people don't go to the newsagents. It was an awkward moment....but it's the cover and it's easy to recognise the Ali's.

The interview we did on SS was 3 years ago and is now outdated. It's been quite a journey. Hope to post about it in detail in the not so distant future.

Cheers,
MsAli

Congrats guys, good effort.

Hi guys,

Anyhoo, some of my colleagues saw it already at the newsagents (and one on the floor is a subscriber too!). So much for wanting to keep it discrete and thinking people don't go to the newsagents. It was an awkward moment....but it's the cover and it's easy to recognise if you've met us.

Cheers,
MsAli

Will look out for it. Every story is different and it will hopefully provide some insight to strategies or approaches I wasn't previously aware of.

Has anything changed at work now people realise how successful you've been outside of it?

Do more people come up to you to talk about investment?

Congrats on being interviewed and appearing in the magazine.

Are API always so light & fluffy on details though? Would have liked to have learnt something I didn't already know.

Thanks guys.

DT, we're actually glad they went light on the details. We did provide them with the numbers but glad with the overall outcome because....now that we know some of our colleague subscribe to it or saw it at the newsagents.......

Thanks all!

Congrats on being interviewed and appearing in the magazine.

Are API always so light & fluffy on details though? Would have liked to have learnt something I didn't already know.

Thanks DT - I think API's market is much broader than just the experienced Somersoft investors :)

Has anything changed at work now people realise how successful you've been outside of it?

Do more people come up to you to talk about investment?

Hope nothing changes cadence. Time will tell. Still early days. My manager is great, she thinks it's brilliant to be doing what we love...while I don't know about what her manager thinks...I do think it caught a few people by surprise.

Yeh two did come and speak about it. One who aspires to do well and came to Australia just over a year ago.

And another, whose been saying to other colleagues OTP is good due to depreciation benefits. He didn't know I was into IPs as much. I warned him recently about the risks of OTP including premium prices but he said that's the risk he's willing to take to build a home in the future.......Concerning nonetheless

Sorry, I don't mean to detract from your wonderful achievements at all. Was moreso a dig at the magazine.

I personally think API is the best magazine out of all of them, although they are full of OTP ads, they seem to have the best written and realistic (as can be) approaches to everything.

some of the other magazines I read, and I put it down thinking 'they're dreaming!' or 'why is that even a positive?'

Great achievement Girls. Good to put a name to the face. Admittedly I went out 2 purchase 2 API because SS member was there...

The location and timing on some of your western sydney properties seems to be a match, and your strategy for the future also draw similar ideas... Perhaps we should catch up for a coffee at Westpoint when we have a chance.

Great achievement Girls. Good to put a name to the face. Admittedly I went out 2 purchase 2 API because SS member was there...

The location and timing on some of your western sydney properties seems to be a match, and your strategy for the future also draw similar ideas... Perhaps we should catch up for a coffee at Westpoint when we have a chance.

Thank you :) it has certainly worked out well.

Definitely - I will drop you a message!

Last edited:
It's a lovely photo of you, girls. No wonder they put you on the front cover.
I must admit though, I'm a bit shocked that you don't look like the evil twins in your avatar. ;)

It's a lovely photo of you, girls. No wonder they put you on the front cover.
I must admit though, I'm a bit shocked that you don't look like the evil twins in your avatar. ;)

Thanks WattleIdo.. It was on the vision board. Shows visions do work :)

Oh I never saw the avatar as depicting evil twins :eek:

Thanks beachgurl and Michael! Really excited about what's next.

Couldn't do it without the enormous wealth of knowledge on SS and ever helpful forum members!

I have been an avid reader for years so congratulations ladies. Not only are you young, pretty, but intelligent and wise too!
It was interesting to see your professional backgrounds as I came from similar, IT, so I was just wondering what is it with IT professionals that I think most decide to invest into RE.
Is it the analytical aspects that draws us in? You know I was once in a meeting with about 20 couples and after introductions I realized that about 70% had background in IT, so isn't this interesting, are we so dissatisfied with our profession, or being analytical we look at other ways, is that what brings us to look for alternatives in lives, and why we invest into RE? Any thoughts, have others found similar facts?

I have been an avid reader for years so congratulations ladies. Not only are you young, pretty, but intelligent and wise too!
It was interesting to see your professional backgrounds as I came from similar, IT, so I was just wondering what is it with IT professionals that I think most decide to invest into RE.
Is it the analytical aspects that draws us in? You know I was once in a meeting with about 20 couples and after introductions I realized that about 70% had background in IT, so isn't this interesting, are we so dissatisfied with our profession, or being analytical we look at other ways, is that what brings us to look for alternatives in lives, and why we invest into RE? Any thoughts, have others found similar facts?

Thanks MIW :).

Actually I'm not sure if it's the IT profession? I've worked with some of the smartest and supposedly people with an entrepreneurial approach to getting results for an organisation that is quite hard to get into. Although people are very smart, I don't think many invest. I also think like all other corporate organisations, the message is to stay small, stay within your skin, don't challenge the status quo, don't be politically incorrect. All that did not sit well with me. I just cannot be politically incorrect. I wanted to break that mold. Fortunate for me, I found a good mentor outside work when I was a grad who I worked with for sometime to challenge my beliefs of having to stay small to keep others comfortable. Sorry, back to your thought, I don't think most of my colleagues in IT were that driven. They were driven from respect of doing well at work....while I feel, although with big corporate ambitions originally, I did ultimately realise that it wasn't something that would allow ME to drive my destiny. It may from a money perspective, however it's fairly disempowering to be relying on somebody else to give you a performance ranking and that whether you will get 'that' promotion or not Or you may miss it altogether as 'that' project you were counting on will no longer go ahead. It's really soul destroying, when you give it your ALL. I feel so much more empowered with real estate!

I'm yet to meet many who are into IP (may be a couple? but none in my old IT team..I'm in a Finance/Accounting space now in project management). Some are into shares though etc...I've only met one person in all this time at work (an ex-colleague who moved areas) whose always been very supportive and a sounding board and he doesn't come from an IT background. He did BA for some time as well.

So yeh, not sure if it's the profession? Perhaps it is? May be IT people can sift through numbers/analytics better? But so can accountants -- that's monalisa :D

Back