Junior Member title

This morning I was an "addicted member". This afternoon I've become an "incessant poster".

The first title was fair. The second is downgrading.

What's happened?

You don't like it geoffw ?

dictionary.com says:

incessant: "Continuing without interruption"

Okay... I was experimenting with the titles a bit... I thought that was quite suitable.

Admitedly, dictionary.com also says:

incessant: "occurring so frequently as to seem ceaseless or uninterrupted"

... which I guess is not a particularly good description.

So I will try and find an alternative - how about some suggestions ? I was trying to get away from the "junior" and "senior" titles.

Currently I have:

Nascent Poster (Minimum Posts: 0)
Regular Poster (Minimum Posts: 30)
Frequent Poster (Minimum Posts: 75)
Incessant Poster (Minimum Posts: 150)
Addicted Poster :) (Minimum Posts: 300)

(For those of you too lazy to look it up...

nascent: "coming into existence; emerging; commencing, or in process of development")

I was considering using "tyro" as the starting level - but that has a similar connotation to it as "junior" does.

Okay... how is "habitual" rather than "incessant" ? Kind of leads to "addicted" rather nicely I think !

Sim,

What about something a bit more- a longer term thing. Stars, then perhaps something like anniversaries- paper, wood, tin, whatever they are (though one mod would aspire only the the ruby title). 100 posts is equivalent to a one year anniversary title, or something.

But whatever, put it in the FAQ (once set in concrete). I did get one PM about "addicted member" today.

Here's one list of the anniversaries:

Traditional Modern Alt. Modern
1 [paper] plastics clocks
2 cotton cotton/calico china
3 leather leather crystal/glass
4 flowers linen/silk/nylon appliances
5 [wood] wood silverware
6 candy/iron iron wood
7 copper/wool copper/wool/brass desk sets
8 bronze/pottery bronze/appliances linens
9 pottery/willow pottery leather
10 [tin] aluminum diamond
11 steel steel jewelry
12 silk/linen silk/linen pearl
13 lace lace textiles/fur
14 ivory ivory gold
15 [crystal] glass watches
20 [china] china platinum
25 [silver] silver silver
30 pearl pearl pearl
35 coral coral/jade jade
40 ruby ruby/garnet ruby
45 sapphire sapphire sapphire
50 [gold] gold gold
55 emerald emerald/turquoise emerald
60 [diamond] gold diamond
75 diamond diamond/gold diamond

OK, point taken.

I was just trying to give one idea for something which could be a longer term thing.

Here's one from another board:

0 - Lurker
1 - NewLounger
25 - Lounger
50 - StarLounger
100 - 2StarLounger
200 - 3StarLounger
400 - 4StarLounger
600 - 5StarLounger
1200 - BronzeLounger
1600 - SilverLounger
2500 - GoldLounger
3500 - PlatinumLounger
6000 - UraniumLounger
10000 - PlutoniumLounger

About 2 years old, and there is one almost at plutonium.

So is this a good or a bad thing geoffw ? :D

I prefer the definition given further down that same page on dictionary.com:

"found in the ordinary course of events" - meaning that it is something that we expect to happen... when someone posts this frequently, then we expect to see something from them daily - a regular occurrance - part of our normal routine.

To me it's a good thing !

A fantastic thing Sim. Just so good to be compared to an attack of malaria. Or a boring train trip.

Gee, I wonder how many more quotidian posts I'll have to make to get to the next level :D

(sorry, when I posted, only the first section of your post was on the board. I'll accept it as a good thing. For now)

Yes, I did ponder the other meanings on dictionary.com - but figured that the english language has become so incredibly perverted and abused over the years that it is almost impossible to choose words that mean one thing and one thing only. Innuendo, colloquialisms, slang, alternative usage and meanings and such will always cause problems.

So you choose what you want the word to mean. If malaria suits you then great ! But if it really bothers you (as I'm sure it will bother some people) then that's fine too - I will try again (but I did spend ages searching the thesaurus for that one !)

By the way geoffw... I really do appreciate your feedback and opinions on this stuff - thanks for contributing.

I've decided (for now :D ) to simplify things a little:

Lurker (Minimum Posts: 0)
Infrequent Poster (Minimum Posts: 1)
Regular Poster (Minimum Posts: 25)
Frequent Poster (Minimum Posts: 100)
Habitual Poster (Minimum Posts: 250)
Addicted Poster :) (Minimum Posts: 500)

... and I will be adding other "titles" later, which will not be post count based - but rather will be merit based.

Hi Sim' **

Hey, that's good. Much better.

Just a small point. Sorry.

I'd be more inclined, for "infrequent" posters, to name them as "new" posters. Unless there was a way to distinguish from someone who joined two months ago, and who has posted twice, from someone who has joined one week ago and who has submitted two posts a day since. [feeble smile]

Geoff

** For those who may be new to the forum, Sim' rhymes with time

I like the idea of votes for good posters, but I also think that people scanning the forum will quickly see who gives valuable additions and who just natters...

'sides, the competitiveness will go up with a purely numbers game, but with 'worthwhileness'... it'll encourage the competitive people to contribute meaning (and that's pretty good for the forum).

Back