Just bought cheapest 2 brm unit in Cairns, QLD @ $107,000

whats does 'standard' right across Cairns mean?
does everyone pay the same rates regardless of size of property?

IV, what I mean by "standard" is that for this type of unit & value, the local council charges a flat standard or starting annual rates as I pay slightly higher rates per year on my other properties in Cairns. I know of other 1 bedders whereby the rates are only $1,500pa.. Personally it's a rip off but what can you do - nothing - pay it & move on as a part of investing/living.

Bought it with tenant in place, but tenant is moving out which I'm happy with as gives me opportunity to spend some $$$ & increase the rent.

I just rented my Whitfield unit in under a week, so as a landlord if you're prepared to meet the market or go slightly under market which I did by $5pw & also spruced up the place, then I feel you'll rent IPs out quickly despite all the D & G.

Have you bought houses or units in Cairns EB or mix of both?

units all in the 3M area.

i wasn't saying your rent expectations were unrealistic, just that you would still be getting a good return even if you did have to drop the price.

Nah...no probs EB - thanks for the advice. Manoora, Mooroobool & Manunda are still great places to invest if the price & return is right - Did you buy in the past couple of years or a while ago?

Yes despite all the D&G'ers you can always pull through even in a tough market. All you have to do is be seen to negotiate some tiny token amount and to spruce the place up a tad so that its just a bit nicer for the money than everything else on offer. That's no reason not to buy a place.

D&G'ers = duds.

Nah...no probs EB - thanks for the advice. Manoora, Mooroobool & Manunda are still great places to invest if the price & return is right - Did you buy in the past couple of years or a while ago?

almost a decade ago.

with the cns economy and home prices more indicative of the world economy than the rest of australia i don't think there's any rush to get in. the trick is to find someone who is in rush to get out - you obviously found that person.

Back