Just done a recce from Perth to Geraldton

Just spent the last few days checking out RE in Geraldton and south along the WA coast back towards Perth. Thought some of you might be interested in mpy impressions...

Firstly Geraldton - the frenetic activity that has been evident over the last couple of years is definitely over with lots of properties now on the market for extended periods of time. REA saying that this is not so much because of lack of buyers but just that many vendors haven't yet accepted the steadying market and are refusing to accept realistic offers. I must say that we could not see value for money in most of Geraldton's RE with the exception of the more desirable area's like Bluff Point, Beresford, Drummond Cove etc. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a correction in some of the lower socio suburbs like Rangeway, Utakarra, Spalding etc. All REA claiming rental vacancies are very low, particularly for better quality properties but yields are terrible. For instance,$512K 3x1 in Mt Tarcoola with inunterupted 270 degree ocean veiws, maybe $260-280 p/wk, $400K 3x1 in Bluff Point, maybe $240 p/wk, $330K 3x1 in Rangeway, maybe $160 p/wk. REA not confident that any significant rent rises will occur in the foresable future as Geraldton has historically had very low rentals and it will take a long time for any rises to filter through. On a more general note, Geraldton has gone ahead in leaps and bounds with the govt. having invested plenty of $ there. The relocation of the railway line from the foreshore and the redevelopment of this precinct is almost finished and looks great. Still no cafe strip as such but this will come. Town centre has been revitalised plus much of the coastal strip - all good. Infrasture in place - upgraded hospital, TAFE, uni campus etc. Plenty of jobs with new mining activities, fly-in fly-out options etc. Bottom line, we won't be buying in Geraldton any time soon but it is on our radar as a place to watch.

Heading south Dongara/Port Denison look great. Plenty of property development going on, tourism increasing steadily, close enough to Geraldton, Eneabba etc for jobs, access to essential services, shopping etc. $ for $, I think this area is far better value than Geraldton at the moment. Rent yields marginally better than Geraldton and I think there will be some great long term CG's. We plan to head back there very soon...

Continuing south to Leeman - nothing going for it as far as I can see apart from a cray/fishing town with jobs only in this industry. No infrastructure, no services, pretty coastline but the town's a dive. Property very expensive. Greenhead is much nicer but still same re jobs etc. Slowly growing community which will continue to attract some retirees. Property very expensive and during a quick drive around I saw two signs offering homes to rent. Not sure who there is to rent them outside peak holidya season or seasonal cray boat workers.

Jurien Bay - plenty of new development and always a favourite holiday destination for Perthites. Lots of activity from retirees and holiday homes but I'm don't see where the jobs growth will come from to attract new families etc. Property prices are sky high - I didn't see anything for less than high $400K's (old fibro home) with many up around $700K or more. I wonder at what point does it become too expensive for retirees??? The cray industry will only support so many...

Flatout

Thanks for your post.

I own a few properties in geraldton. Market has certainly been a lot quieter over the last few months but not surprising after the huge growth experienced in the last 3 years. 330k sounds very pricey for rangeway and I would be surprised if they were achieveing sales in that price range.

I have properties around the 180-200k value in those areas that rent around 150-170 per week, actually I just sold one in the high 180's range, rent around 150 per week. not great returns for someone getting in but definitly not as way out as the 330k , 160 rent example you illustrated.

Personally I think its a little late to be entering the WA market for investing. Although I don't think there are going to be any dramatic corrections I suspect people getting in now may be waiting some time for some nice growth.

Karina,

You are so right. I had heard that there was a major shortage of good quality rentals in Geraldton and this was confirmed by the PM's we spoke to. Surprisingly though, it hasn't translated to higher rents. Having enjoyed the WA boom with our Mandurah properties, we're now looking for steady long term capital gains but higher yeilds than we're seeing in Mandurah. I believe well selected properties in Geraldton will deliver on the long term, steady CG's but unfortunately the low rents mean the holding costs are too high. Interesting place Geraldton...in Rangeway and similar suburbs there are some quite nice pockets with well kept homes etc but just around the corner can be a virtual ghetto. This we expected to see but we were surprised to see the same even in the more expensive suburbs. For instance, in Beresford we saw some million dollar properties right next door to an absolute dump occupied by some local indigenous folk. Saw the same even right on the beachfront.

Anyway, for now we're still searching for the next IP...possibly Vic.

Flatout

Interesting place Geraldton...in Rangeway and similar suburbs there are some quite nice pockets with well kept homes etc but just around the corner can be a virtual ghetto.

Yep. Big difference in Rangeway between Rifle Range Rd (where ex-commission houses sold for $65k in 2003) and the area around Kenny/Tuart St (almost as good as a capital city outer suburb). The Rangeway shops though were uninviting (by the number of security screens).

This we expected to see but we were surprised to see the same even in the more expensive suburbs. For instance, in Beresford we saw some million dollar properties right next door to an absolute dump

I'd describe Beresford as a middle-ranking (not top) suburb, though it is close to town and has bay views. It has more villas/units than top-shelf Mt Tarcoola. Beachlands used to be more like Rangeway and the housing stock is pretty ordinary but its coastal location has made it a winner.

I suspect that some huge profits would have come from the leasehold places at West End. Though people would have been wary about paying $30-40k for one, anyone who 'bought' 10 of them (with high rental returns) and then 'sold' them would have made heaps now.

Peter

fantastic post.. thanks very much for posting that

a) terrific info

b) saved a lot of fuel

need more people like you on here...

Hi all, great post!

I agree regarding property prices being a bit too high in Geraldton/Dongara/Leeman/Jurien. However, until mid-year I was a renter and can tell you the rental prices your estate agents are giving you seem about $20-25 short of what I found about 1 year ago.

Excuse my cynicism but I see agents pump up rental rates to renters when they are looking and push them down to property owners....

Perhaps rental prices have dropped, but there was very little below $250 in Geraldton and even less in Dongara for that price. A modest 4x2 without views in both towns seemed to go for $290/wk+, with good quality 4X2 with views for much more.

I think there may be growth opportunities in the northern areas of Geraldton when (if?) the Oakagee port development begins. Any ideas when this is planned? Also I'm sure there will be residential property opening up around the Oakagee area itself...

TB

In regards to rents in geraldton they are rising.

To give you some examples properties in waggrakine I had renting around the 140 - 145 range less than 2 years ago are now achieving 180

rangeway/spalding/karloo properties were renting around 130 now 150/155

beachlands properties were around the 140 now getting 180 per week.

Of course prices have risen substantially more than rents.

Also the valuers have been holding prices back, they would have gone even higher if valuers had not knocked over deals. To give you an example I had 4 properties under contract for sale , all 4 of them came in under valued by the valuer for the purchasors, 2 sales proceeded regardless and the other 2 fell over as the purchasers could not make up the 30k difference between the contract price and the valuation. Had the market been allowed to set the price we would see prices around 30k higher. Its been the cash sales that have been setting the new bench marks and once they have settled it becomes a little easier to get valuations through. The agents have been extremely frustrated as many as 50% of sales were being knocked over due to valuations. This occured about 6 months ago and saw a lot of stock come back on to the market and sit there for months (not because no one wanted to buy them but because the valuers got "pig headed" as 1 agent put it)

I know of 1 property that was sold 3 times (3 different buyers) at around 220k only to be knocked back on all 3 occasions by the valuers. Subsequently sold for around 195k which was the price the valuers were prepared to let the sale go through. I think the vendor just really needed to sell.

Valuers in geraldton have been traditionally VERY conservative and are finding it difficult to adjust to the NEW pricing, not surprising as prices had been the same for about 20 years!

When I purchased there in 2004 I bought a house in beachlands for 88k only to have the valuer , put a price of 82k on it!, so I ended up getting it for 82k much to the vendors dissapointment, that property has recently been valued at 250k (by the same valuer!) and that is conservative based on values today.

I didn't realise how much of an impact valuers can have on controlling prices. It certainly has been a problem I had not encountered before. One things for sure not much you can do about it!

Any suggestions on what I can do with this block

Hi, Any help on this matter would be appreciated. I purchased a block at 39 Bonamia Road in Utakarra 14 months ago for $90k and the agent I purchased it through in Perth didnt know a thing about them. I have paid to much for it and trying to work out what to do with it. The block hasnt gone up in value in 14 months and there seems to be a few other blocks in the same area for sale now at 80k, so selling it and losing money isnt really an option. I have been looking at putting a cheap house on it, as I have been told by Geraldton Real Estate agents I would sell it with a property on there...(I should of spoken to the local agents in the first place...lesson learnt) :) The block is costing me $800month. Most transportable companies are charging alot for 3x1 because they can at the moment. The cheapest I can find is at transformablehomes.com and I can get this for under 100k I think complete. I would rather put a second hand one on there as it would be cheaper but not sure if the headache is worth it...also I dont know where to source one from. The City of Geraldton have advised if it is second hand then it needs shire approval.... but how do you purchase a second hand transportable with the hope of having it approved. ? Any help/suggestions on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I guess if you can´t sell it as a vacant block you could build on it and keep it as a rental or sell it at that point. rents are still rising in geraldton so you should have no trouble renting it.

Uttakura is a lower socio economic part of town so be careful not to overcapitalise if you build. I know a good agent in town, Ty Criddle from Ray White , perhaps he can give you some suggestions. If you have any questions regarding the rental market I can recommend Mairi Quinn from the geraldton property group.

I am looking at holding the majority of my properties in geraldton longterm. Sales really dropped off for a while but I believe things have picked up in the last month or so. There was a write up on geraldton in the AFR on 25.10.07 , didn´t get a chance to read it , if anyone has got it can you post it here?

Hi there, I too have a few properties in gero. I would agree that it has excellent potential long term, but short term I believe that it's more likely to go flat line rather than up.

Kohako the price that you paid for your block was fair, there are so many blocks for sale at the moment, if you were to sell, you would be in for a loss.

I suppose, its best to do the maths and do what is best for you.

Good luck

Flatout - I guess the Dongaras and other small towns are usually dependent on one industry and are consequently higher risk. Heard some good stuff about places like Boddington etc but ditto re the risk

I've been having a look at Geraldton for an IP over the last few weeks. Initially I was looking at Kalgoorlie, Esperance etc. Kal appears to me to have good growth but I guess mining towns generally have risks associated with them. Esperance is a little more expensive than Geraldton and growth appears a bit less than Geraldton. Geraldton has a few advantages - it's a port, is (obviously) near water and has had good growth over the last 3-4 years. I guess the question is whether that growth will continue in Geraldton. Also the relatively low rental return ifrom what I gather sn't the greatest. However, buying near water in WA in (I think) a growing town with a port etc is not a bad option. You can still buy houses on 750sqm blocks in Beachlands (which is apparently not a bad suburb) for around 270k. Then again, if growth ceases (or slows to less than 5%) as of now for 6-7 years it won't be a good investment within that timeframe.

What do people think about growth in Beachlands/Mahomets/Geraldton/Sunset Beach etc - do you reckon it'll be 10% or more in the next few years? What about occupancy rates? I hear there is not as much demand in Geraldton suburbs as in Perth for example.

I can comment on beachlands.

Houses that would cost 270k now (bottom end of beachlands price) used to cost 70-90k in 2004 so the growth has been very strong.

Rents for those houses today would be around 210-230 a week (although I am still trying to catch up with my rental increases) rents are going up quite rapidly at the moment.

Beachlands houses rent fairly quickly its a popular area and close to town and beaches.

I don´t expect much growth over the coming years but then I didn´t expect the growth we just had (took me by surprise) so who knows. I think a lot will depend on what happens with oakygee the second port planned but nothing concrete yet, if when it goes ahead we could very well see a mini boom.

oakygee

Over recent years the oakygee myth has driven a few cycles in Gerro.
You should expect another upswing, as consolidation amongst Midwest mining hopefuls fuels renewed speculation of a new Midwest Iron Ore industry.
With my background in the industry, I think that whilst there’s money to be made speculating, development on a new port and associated infrastructure is a LONG way off.

Back