Just found this...

Reply: 1

Very strange indeed!

If you try and access this forum and then come back to the somersoft forum it treats you as a guest. That was my experience anyway. I had to quit the window and log back into somersoft again with my name to be recognized.

Anyway, the difference is that with the other forum the webmaster has set himself up as 'guru' unlike this one where we're all gurus in training!

Anyway, I don't think there'll be any competition as this one is the original and the best!

L.H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 2

I've tried the link you posted.

I think you have to use a different user name and it will lead you to the Guerrilla Real Estate forum.

Seems to be a new forum, only has a few posts on it.

Regards
yuchun
~ The secret to success is to start from scratch and keep on scratching. ~

Reply: 2.1

Hi there
Had the same problem coming back home to somersoft also.
Simon

Reply: 2.1.1

The new forum looks like it runs on the same server as this one. So there may be some problems.

I logged into it today and suddenly I've got over 1093 logins on the new forum, which is the same amount as I've got here. So it looks like the new forum has taken on my logins from this site and put it in their site too. Interesting....

Cheers
Robert

The Sydney "Freestylers" Group Leader.

Reply: 2.1.1.1

I think it sucks info from the cookies you have on your machine that relate to somers site.

HT

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1

HT - I think you must be right. I'm finding it quite frustrating. I've logged out but when I come back in, it still says I'm a guest! HHmmm.... very annoying.

Oh well - the Somersoft Forum is the original and the best!!

EL

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1

You are indeed correct about the cookies.
This is an unfortunate side effect of this forum and the new Guerrilla Real Estate forum both being hosted by WebCentral, who have put them on the same server (bne003w.server-web.com).

Because cookies are server based, both forums can access your "WebBoard" cookies from the Somersoft forum, which causes them to be confused.

My advice ? If it becomes an issue, send an email to Ian Somers and see if he can sort something out with WebCentral. However, I don't see why you'd ever need another forum when you have this one ! ;-)

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1

Yep, I noticed the same thing.
Apparently Sim has logged into Guerrillarealestate
Total Logins: 1,135 times!

[email protected]

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

I'm a big fan !

In fact it seems I've spent as much time there as I have in this forum (exactly the same amount of time actually - what are the odds of that ?)

;-)

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Ian (the Webmaster) did mention somewhere on this forum earlier that this “forum program” is an American program (do you remember when we talked about spelling problems while back) and they have bought and adopted it to their needs. So, looks like the other co. did something similar.

In regards to login on - some people do like pain regardless what other tell'm and some people will stay as far away as they can in order to have peaceful existence.

Do not quote me on that one but I think it is matter of personal preferences.

Serge.

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Indeed, the program used for this forum is shrinkwrapped software called WebBoard.

WebBoard is now owned by ChatSpace and you can find information about it at:

http://www.webboard.com/

Indeed you can purchase the latest version of the "advanced" edition (unlimited forums and unlimited concurrent chat users) for only US$4995 !!

The standard edition is limited to 100 "boards" (Somersoft is one board !), and 500 concurrent users per chatroom (wowee... and we complain it gets busy with 20 people there !). It will only set you back US$2495.

You don't necessarily have to fork out all that money though... a web hosting and services company called WebCentral (based in Queensland I believe) runs WebBoard on their servers and rents out access and space.

http://www.webcentral.com.au/

Yes, for only $11 per month (plus other hosting charges), YOU TOO could have your own forum hosted !

Of course, it does make it much more interesting if you have people wanting to use your dicussion forum. My "Is Buffy better than Luke Skywalker and is Willow the next Darth Vader" discussion forum doesn't get much traffic :(

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Sim,

Maybe you can find piece of software/shareware somewhere, which allows you to redirect any traffic with Space Wars info towards your forum, you know like those advertising co. automatically redirects you to the site they want to show you (not the one you wanted initially and you go around and around).
Bit tricky but can be done.
If they have seen once they will stay on...and on ...and on... till you relocate your forum elsewhere.

Serge.

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

I'm not keeping up with this forum in any reasonable way. Oh well!

But Sim I wanna join your Buffy community!

When does she return on Foxtel and 7 anyway?

Paul Zag
Dreamspinner
WealthEsteem coming soon at...
http://wealthesteem.dyndns.org/

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

First ads for season 6 were on last night (that I've seen) !! Will be soon ! Beginning of Feb I'd say.

FAQ:

1. Yes, Buffy lives
2. No, I'm not going to tell you how
3. Buffy has moved from WB to UPN in the States, but Angel has stayed with WB, so don't expect any more crossover episodes
4. I don't know when season 3 of Angel will be starting in Aus, hopefully soon
5. If you want questions answered on seasons 1-5 of Buffy or 1-2 of Angel, ask me in the chatroom (I'm usually hanging out there during the day)
6. If you want questions on season 6 of Buffy or season 3 of Angel answered, go look it up on the web. I know most of the answers already (okay, so I read ahead... I'm not ashamed), but I refuse to tell spoilers to others. I can be bribed though.

;-)

sim.gif

Last edited:
Back