Just how bad will this all get ???

Right now, sitting here in good 'ol Oz I think it's maybe difficult to "feel" the coming "financial tsunami". Suggest any interested investors watch this (first in a series of 5) recent vid's (Oct 08) from Roubini. Roubini is "the man" who forecast all the sub-prime mess and the ensuing financial crisis waaay back in 2006. He forecast the demise of Wall St. He said 2 years...it took just 6 months. Right now, it seems maybe he's the best "straight shooting non-political non-media non-vested interest" commentator that we've got. Warning...this is pretty sobering stuff.
LL
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=T3zqDnOx6B0

Why is it that people feel the need to spread D&G? Isn't the MSM doing enough of that already?

The interest rates are racing towards record lows again, rental vacancy is still hovering around historical lows, and the Fed government is pumping all the budget surplus into the economy.

The absolute trump card that we RESI investors have is the fact that all the major apartment cancellations by the big developers WILL SEVERELY REDUCE residential housing supply around all the capital cities.

This will further put pressure on the rental market and keep on increasing the yield until we're all CF+.

All blue sky ahead (with maybe 1 or 2 grey clouds).

If someone came up to me 6 months ago and asked me for the ideal scenario I would have asked for what we are heading into now. Its funny how Life gives everyone the opportunity to realise their dreams. During the boom I thought I missed out because I wasnt around when all the big boys had did most of the buying. 8 years later and I am now in a position to if I use my head correctly make the right decisions be that investor I once dreamed to be. Ask me how i am going in 1 years time and hopefully I will have a very good answer for you!
Fingers crossed!

If someone came up to me 6 months ago and asked me for the ideal scenario I would have asked for what we are heading into now. Its funny how Life gives everyone the opportunity to realise their dreams. During the boom I thought I missed out because I wasnt around when all the big boys had did most of the buying. 8 years later and I am now in a position to if I use my head correctly make the right decisions be that investor I once dreamed to be. Ask me how i am going in 1 years time and hopefully I will have a very good answer for you!
Fingers crossed!

great attitude. kudos.

To be forewarned is to be forearmed. It is not the end of the world, Think and grow rich:D I have started a thread entitled survive the soft depression. It is there for all to contribute under the parameters of the given hypothetical. This site in the boom time was a great property site to learn. It has degenerated into the realists and the property is going to go up forever crowd. At least on the aforementioned thread lets forget about arguing and instead try to learn from each other:cool:

he says Australia is in recession which would be news! hard to argue with an accent like that tho. I'll tow the line - am shopping for a new car so i make sure to tell every dealer how hard times are and they will never sell that new car!

I too am in the market for a share portfolio. I haven't gone in yet because it keeps getting better by the day. So perhaps the question shouldbe - how good is this going to get? This is a transfer of weakth from west to east and from the boomers to the gen xyz'ers

and no Amero will be introduced in 2010.

is this the thing where the yanks take on the mexican currency? a while ago i would have said it unlikely however with the drop i expect in the USD you never know, they may be glad to swap their greenbacks for Pesos!

as for an asian wide currency, how does this reconcile with the Yuan being maintained as a major currency? Will it be pegged to the Kanga?

will the Euro survive if the US outlook for a major euro country falling into the hands of organised crime eventuates?

Ask me how i am going in 1 years time and hopefully I will have a very good answer for you!
Fingers crossed!

George

go n get them tiger ..;)
just think wisely and don't put your PPOR in any danger.

I am also thinking along the same lines but can't decide if I want to go the full hog on property or shares or both.....

I think the times are now presenting us with an opportunity of a lifetime, we shouldn't rush into things but there is still a window of opportunity where credit is readily available and those of us brave enough to grab that opportunity will set ourselves up for life...:)

cheers

is this the thing where the yanks take on the mexican currency? a while ago i would have said it unlikely however with the drop i expect in the USD you never know, they may be glad to swap their greenbacks for Pesos!

as for an asian wide currency, how does this reconcile with the Yuan being maintained as a major currency? Will it be pegged to the Kanga?

will the Euro survive if the US outlook for a major euro country falling into the hands of organised crime eventuates?

haha kanga - good one! i dunno why one of Ruddie's first announcements was to have an Asian Currency by 2020.

The USD, the Peso and the Canadian Dollar (against the strong negative sentiment about this) will be combined to form the Amero and will be a major currency in the North American Union - just like the early days of the Euro each country will have a changeover period where both currencies are accepted. This deal was signed by all of the countries' leaders without a referendum to the people.

the USD is just on a dead cat bounce - 09 will see the USD back to 85-95c to the AUD imo...

I for one dont 'get' all the D&G talk happening at the moment,
All I see is positives for the residential housing market.

low interest rates, higher yields, positive cashflow, ability to purchase more property, low vacancy rates, fuel prices dropping, its an investors dream.

I kinda wish I didnt live where I do though because the market has been moving up instead of following the national trend so buying is really hard and I cant buy anything at a discount, everything is moving really quick and some properties Ive looked at have gone above asking price resulting in bidding wars.

Agents Ive spoken too say they certainly havent seen the market softening, its all up.
I guess the positive is Im making quick capital gains on properties already purchased though. . :D

Why is it that people feel the need to spread D&G? Isn't the MSM doing enough of that already?

The interest rates are racing towards record lows again, rental vacancy is still hovering around historical lows, and the Fed government is pumping all the budget surplus into the economy.

The absolute trump card that we RESI investors have is the fact that all the major apartment cancellations by the big developers WILL SEVERELY REDUCE residential housing supply around all the capital cities.

This will further put pressure on the rental market and keep on increasing the yield until we're all CF+.

All blue sky ahead (with maybe 1 or 2 grey clouds).

I'm with ya, Lake.

Personally, I am not finding any of this crisis affecting me in any detrimental way.

In fact; the whole scenario is improving; higher rents, lower interest rates and more renters.

Add to that some cheaper properties coming onto the market and it's all good from my corner.

For the majority of people who are highly leveraged (usually in consumer debt), and in jobs that may not be recession-proof, then it's not good news.

Add to that the fact that the majority of investors are only in direct shares and have just had what little wealth they may have accumulated wiped out.

So there you have it; the average sheep has lots of consumer debt, may lose their job any minute, their super and any shares they own have tanked, hence the headlines everynight.

Make sure they all go and spend up big on the c/c for xmas. That'll fix it.

Same here Bayview.

Rents have increased.

Rates have decreased.

Capital has stayed the same.

Next buying opportunity is getting better and better due to negative sentiment. Once the poor October figures come out in Dec/Jan then it'll really sink I think.

I don't have any shares except for super, which I don't care about.

You can buy one now or wait for the next shipment and a 20% price rise caused by the lower AUD. :D

yes but I need it to be Japanese, I don't believe the USD value is sustainable. There aren't actually many Japanese made cars around any more surprisingly. even the hondas are ex thailand.

hi all
here is my view for what its worth.
we are in the eye of a storm not at the end.
we are dropping rates to fuel growth thats not going to happen in a fit of sundays and the rates will keep falling and then the storm will hit.
and that storm is in the frm of a few funds going west
now for me some of those funds will be names alot of people will know and not sure how mr rudd is going to prop them up.
but fall they will.
now once we have those deaths and what comes with them the lenders will have purged all that bad blood out of the system and no its not purge yet they are hoding the wounds at the moment hoping the bleeding will stop.
and it won't
now once that has been purge you will see inflation or incomming money that will fuel growth and yes property will fly.
that why we are buying.
I see blue skys
but I also see the clouds of the storm
and that storm has some very nasty damaging winds in it
and those wind will blow off a couple funds unfortunate as that is.
and then we will be back to business as normal
and in the mean time there is alot of product that can be bought at very good prices

Back