Just how "protected" do I need to be??

G'day all,

I recently (last 24 hours) successfully downloaded Norton's Internet Security 2005. I just tried to join "chat" (10 mins ago) and didn't get very far......

Is my new "Internet Security" preventing me from joining chat?

As I didn't know just how "protected" I am, I used Nortons to tell me. This is what they told me:-

Nortons said:
113 Ident / Authentication. This service is required by some mail, news, or relay chat servers to allow access. A stealth result on this port could cause performance problems.
Note that all other aspects of the test show me as being in "stealth" mode. This one (above) showed me as being "Open".

What does all of this mean to your average user? Does it give any clues re HOW protected I need to be? Am I TOO protected perhaps?

Ideas please......

Regards,

Hi Les, I personally don't use Nortons since it was taken over by Symantec a few years back and has become a bit of a 'flashing lights, bells and whistles' product. When Peter Norton actually ran the group he produced great quality, simple interface, but very powerful software. Products such as Norton Utilities was the package 'programmers' used to use because if you didn't know what you were doing you could quite easily 'trash' your hard disc with a flick (should I say click).

OK, rant over. I assume that your 'Stealth' mode (oh, pleeeease!) is a glitzy way of saying that you are connecting to a service without Norton fully taking over your damn computer. The bottom line is that their 'Stealth' means you are taking a risk, which depending on how you look at it is rubbish or a rubbish bin (I'd use the latter for the program). Sorry, I'll get there...

Les, if you trust the service you are connecting to then tell Norton's to POQ by adjusting your settings for that particular service. There should be somewhere where you can effectively say "It's OK, this service I know, and yes, OK, I'm responsible. For example, my firewall tells me whenever I access something potentiallly dangerous and I either say, "Wow, thanks", or "it's OK, let this port of my computer talk to this service". To be fair, IRC (Internet Relay Chat) has been a major source of security problems in the past, and any reasonable security program will monitor all your common computer ports while you are online and tell you if anything happens that it has not been told is OK.

The bottom line is this.

1. Use some type of firewall for your computer and ALWAYS leave it on (especially while online - and permanently if you leave your computer unattended and have broadband).
2. Learn how to 'teach' your security suite to not block certain communications with your computer but don't turn it off, and even when accessing 'safe' services always stay alert to potential security risks.
3. RTFM, or nicely, Read the Manual (especially the bit about enabling/disabling specific ports or services). Apologies if you have read it and it says nothing, go to the website and their FAQ's or similar on security.

Cheers,

PS. Sorry about the two bottom lines. :D

Les,

I don't use Norton IS, but stealth mode on a port means that your PC doesn't respond to requests on that port, thus appearing invisible to anyone trying to search for PCs using it. In general that's a good thing.

Unless of course you're using an application that does listen on the port, and thus can't have it blocked. Port 113 is an identification port used by mail services.

That message is saying port 113 is not in stealth mode because it thinks there are common applications (mail) that need to use it. Also that if it was in stealth mode, then you might have performance problems (meaning those programs probably wouldn't work very well).

None of which says much about why you can't connect to chat, as far as I can see. I've never used chat though, so I don't know if there are any special ports or anything that you need accessible.

GP

Bye bye chat !!!!

G'day programmer (and others),

And thanks for the thoughts. I haven't been into chat in a while (I visit there twice a year - whether I need to or not :D ) So I really don't know if this new, "you beaut", Norton Security 2005 (which I just invoked) might be locking me out.

But, hey, I still get Mail, can connect to my banks, to SS, etc. So life is still good. The question came from the fact that my entry into chat "looked" different, and eventually failed.

Re RTFM, I don't have one - and I use PC's as a tool (I don't have to know how it works, I just USE it !!! (And when it all fails, I call Somersoft :D )

I also have never had a virus, and can still log in to everything, so (with the exception of chat) "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". And I reckon that's how I'll treat this for now. Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Back