Just settled on another Marrickville flat

One bedder. I like one bedders. The entry point is low and the tenant pool pretty big - singles and couples.

This one was a good buy for a number of reasons.

It's a small complex with no complications like elevators or pools. The sinking fund is okay and from the strata minutes there are no issues.

The flat has a good (for the inner west) outlook from the balcony, so it has an expansive feel.

The location is fabulous. It's 150 metres to the train station, but the train line there runs through a deep cutting so there is no noise. It's also 150 metres from the caf? that last year was voted the best in Sydney (Cornersmith). And there are dozens of other cafes, restaurants and bars less than a ten minute walk, so it's hipster heaven.

The flat itself isn't anything special - yet. I do like the fact that the bathroom does not open off the bedroom. It needs a new kitchen - October job when the current tenancy ends. I had to fill in a form for the current managing agent so they had my details as the new owner. It was a standard form that asked me to disclose a bunch of stuff about the property including whether I knew if any major crimes had taken place in the property. I said that I was pretty sure painting a parquetry floor mission brown was a major crime. I'm looking forward to get that sanded.

I got it for $370K - the article below has the wrong price in it. Being only 39 sqm obviously reduced the pool of potential buyers. The only way I got this flat was because I moved very quickly. I reckon if it went to auction in this crazy Sydney market it would have gone for more than that.

http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/...-weekend-s-cheapest-sale-at-marrickville.html

The current tenant pays $300 per week. When I do the kitchen and floor, I'll probably rent it out furnished for a bit under $500pw.

$500pw for 1 bedder 39sqm ???

Furnished. That's the key. I have a mate who just got back from KL and was looking for furnished accommodation in the inner west for a minimum of three months till he could work out what he was going to do next. He couldn't find anything that was half decent. I knew some people last year who moved out of my Airbnb pad and needed somewhere for two months. They ended up in a studio in Newtown at $485pw. It was nicely renovated, but tiny.

Congratulations.
That is wonderful return on a 1 Bedder which probably would not cost you more then $10K to furnish!

Regards,
Shawn

Congratulations!

I'm not even going to pretend that I know the market in Marrickville, but that seems very cheap to me.

$500pw for 1 bedder 39sqm ??? :eek::eek::confused::confused:

i recently settled on a 33sqm in Kings Cross ( or Potts Point - depending on if you like sleeze and booze OR "Parisian vibe"!!) and it rents furnished for $435, a tad more per sqm, but I did pay more upfront. Same tenant in it for years, happy to stay on.

Well done depreciator!!!

Well done! How did you find out about this one?

I drove down a street I don't normally drive down and saw the sign. So I went back on the Saturday open and put down a deposit on the Monday.

When renting furnished, do you also go through a regular Pm?

I probably will with this one. But I will help find the tenant. I think I will supply everything except linen and towels. They are the problematical things.

Did you need to borrow money for this? Any difficulty lending since it's under 50sqm?

It's just tucked into my PPOR. I have a lot of what people here would call 'lazy equity'. I heard that Comm Bank will lend on small flats, but I'm not sure about that.

I drove down a street I don't normally drive down and saw the sign. So I went back on the Saturday open and put down a deposit on the Monday.

Nice buy!
I actually saw this and was considering going to the open, but needed to sort out a PPOR first.

Just on that, for cheaper units like this do you bother with other DD?
Inspection, strata report etc?
Assume you had to sign without cooling-off too?

I've got the next one, ok Scott?

I think the days of bargains in Marrickville might be over.

Just on that, for cheaper units like this do you bother with other DD?

I would always recommend people do more DD than I do. I had to move very quickly on this one because it was heading to auction. Yep, no cooling off.
The building looked reasonably well kept, so that gave me some confidence. I ordered a strata report but needed to act before it came through. All was well when I read it - phew. These older blocks of flats in the inner west will all start to have a bit of money put into them as the older owners move on and hipsters move in.

Scott are you going to change it to an L shaped kitchen to open it up more? An alternative to the acrylic you asked about in the other thread is to increase the hipster vibe with some 600 x 600 porcelain wood look parquet tiles. Or there is plank tiles. Or some groovy concrete look 600 x 600 that you might be able to use in the floor there

You might be able to squeeze a combo washing machine dryer into the kitchen or bathroom too which would make it even more attractive.

Really good find. It has good proportions, easily furnished as windows are high, and good natural light.

Having the bathroom that way is good for guests as you say.

I won't be doing the kitchen in this flat till later this year when the tenant leaves. It needs a new bathroom, too, but I'll put that off for a while. I'll check out those tiles you mentioned.

The current kitchen project is another flat in Marrickville. I need to wrap it up pretty quickly. I just found this product, which looks interesting:

Limited colour range. I've ordered a sample.

But it doesn't come in neon green? :D

The kitchen I am doing right now is a green one - more olive than lime this time, but definitely green.

Ewww. I prefer lime to olive. While lime isn't my favourite colour (not much of a fan of green in any shade), at least it is bright & uplifting, while I find olive dull & depressing.

Back