Just want opinions on bathroom...

Thinking about giving the bathroom a quick makeover in our place. It will then mean we will have 2 toilets and a shower over bath in our place. Now I can't decided whether to have a shower over bath in the new bathroom or to leave the bath out only having a shower.

Main concerns with this is tenants with children that want to bath their kids. It would be easier and look better without one but would I be shooting myself in the foot by leaving it out? Limiting myself to certain tenants?

Also, does having a 2nd toilet usually help justify a higher rent or is it just something that is more desirable?

Peoples thoughts?

Thanks,
Andrew.

I'm not sure if you will have any baths at all. We have two bathrooms and a third loo. We have a shower over the bath in our main bathroom which I don't like. However, when Mum sold real estate, she always said to make sure there is one bath if possible.

I know for resale a bath can be important for people with children, and I know that we have had people not rent our places without a bath for the same reason.

I'd love to redo our bathroom and ditch the shower over bath, but we then would narrow our resale market (I believe) as this is a very "family" home.

With water restrictions, having a bath here is a very rare thing though, so every time I climb in our fairly deep bath to have a shower I curse our decision on doing it that way.

Regarding the second toilet, I don't believe you would get more dollars for it, but like having a dishwasher, I believe it makes the house more attractive to a potential tenant.

I went shower over bath for the same reasons you mentioned.

I see it as follows:

Shower over bath = annoyance, but people make do (unless its an elderly person or one with a disability).
Shower = Cant exactly bath the kids in a shower, so making do isnt really an option.

Therefore shower over bath wins over shower alone.

As for the 2nd toilet, I think Wylie is spot on with that. Wont increase rent, but increases appeal, so instead of 2 week vacancy you have 1 week vacancy.

Thanks for the comments.

I have been searching the baths you can get and hopefully I can get a low one that is less then 400mm high. The current bath we have is 380mm high, so it's easy to hop into but it's a beige colour - not white like we want so it has to go.

The laundry could also be easily converted into a 2nd bathroom aswell but that might be spending too much at the moment especially since we are trying to save for our next property.

We have a square bath in the shed we need to put in one day.

It is about 900x900x300ish and is the same size as a regular shower stall, but is deep enough and wide enough on the diagonal to bathe kids. Being a very small bathroom in a family house, this will work brilliantly.

All we need now is somewhere else to live while it is being installed :) Won't happen for another 6 months at least.

You can get a one piece fiberglass shower cubicle with a high step suitable for bathing kids for around $300.:)

Attachments

• 100_1105.jpg
    100_1105.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 103
You can get a one piece fiberglass shower cubicle with a high step suitable for bathing kids for around $300.:)

Any idea what dimension that cubicle is?

I am just toying with an idea to convert some 1 bedroom units into 2 bedroom units and we will have a 1200 x 1200 space to put a bath/shower. This might do the job.

Cheers

Any idea what dimension that cubicle is?

Hi Andy, they are 1850mm high, 900mm wide and 780mm deep, will fit through an 820 door....just!;)

The beauty of these is, they are quick to install particularly if in a corner, but do need a nib wall on one side, but saves on tiling and are very waterproof.:)

Thanks for the comments.

I have been searching the baths you can get and hopefully I can get a low one that is less then 400mm high. The current bath we have is 380mm high, so it's easy to hop into but it's a beige colour - not white like we want so it has to go.

The laundry could also be easily converted into a 2nd bathroom aswell but that might be spending too much at the moment especially since we are trying to save for our next property.

If it's only the color that's an issue, have you considered getting it redone with a product like mend-a-bath rather than a full replacement?

It really depends on how many bedrooms your property has. If it is a 3 bedrooms or more place, than having a second toilet is going to affect how much return you will get on the property because people will expect to have a second option. In the same regard depending on if you are in a big family or young professionals who are starting to have a family area, than having a bath there will also make a big difference. 3 bedrooms or more will really require a bath becaue people that will be looking to purchase or rent from you are most likely going to have kids and/or pets for which they will want to have the use of a bath. Hope that helps.

Wishing you every success, Ana

Thankyou for the help and ideas everyone.

That shower cubicle seems like a great idea, it actually has given me some ideas as we could easily add this to our laundry that has a toilet and essentially convert it into a second bathroom!!

I've been searching and found a few baths that are 380mm high. If I install it basically onto the concrete slab then it's going to be an easy height to hop in and out of the shower.

Just need to get some quotes done now on how much to tile the whole bathroom. That will be our biggest cost.

we have a very small bathroom appox 1900mm by 2100mm , which I did a reno on a few year back. It had the shower over bath that we hated. I am really proud of the design I came up with. In one corner just as one comes through the bathroom door . I put in a glass wall / screen that swing out of the way, when shower is not in use, giving dressing space ect. when in shower, it swings back giving a large shower space..... like those walk in showers with no doors. just 3 walls. I put in floor heating that keeps shower, bathroom floor dry and warm. Managed to squeeze in a 750mm vanity with 3 long doors. I wanted space around basin , so we got a flat top with a bowl on top, built in 750mm shaving cabinet, and open built-in spaces in wall cavity for sampoo ect, and a spa bath ! All cost more to get best design for space, but SOoo worth it !

I am building a new house and have deleted the bath altogether and added 2 extra basins. It is a beachhouse and probably will go straight to rental but I designed it around having 2 of my/his family there at a time so figure the basins will be more value than a bath that rarely to never gets used. I went off baths as a necessity for babies when I realised my son and dil bathed the new babe in the plastic bath on a bench and as soon as he got big enough to sit up, son held him in the shower with him and bathed him. Also they can bath them in the laundry trough if they want.

Back