Justed rented out my 1st IP - Am I the worst LL ever?

Hey everyone,

Had an interesting situation with my PPOR turned IP over the weekend. Here's the story.

2 weeks ago had a call from a friend who said friends of a friend have just moved from Canberra and are looking for a place to rent. Meanwhile I'm renovating my bathroom and fixing up things around the house getting it ready for rental. I was looking mid - late november which I told the tennants but they wanted 30th Oct so I agreed...stupid.

Thursday night with the tennants moving on the weekend. No bathroom tiles, no toilet, no vanity, no shower screen, no front door, holes in the bedroom doors. I have been working 12hr days for the last 2 weeks and havent had any time whatsover to get anything done.

Saturday afternoon tennants arrive - No toilet, No basin mixer on the vanity, No front door, No tiles around the vanity, holes in the bedroom doors, housemates bed and clothes still in his room.

Tiler had come in on Thursday but not done around the vanity. Plumber put in the vanity on Friday night (had the wrong mixer) and Toilet base in on Saturday (had to wait for cement to dry before finishing)

Plumber came in on Sunday and finished off the toilet but seeing as the complex my townhouse is in only had 1 water mains for the whole complex he didnt want to do the mixer at 7pm at night. Tennants had been using 24hr servo up the road for the toilet from Sat arvo to Sunday night.

Plumber is putting in the mixer today and tennants are arranging for new doors and locks to be put on. I'm awaiting a quote for a shower screen to be put in next week. Housemate it taking his bed and clothes out on Friday

Have agreed to knock of some of the 1st and maybe 2nd weeks rent depending on how much the new doors come 2.

Have learnt some valuable lessons. I guess I was just used to me and my housemate not really minding the small defficiencies around the house such as no front door (there was a fly screen door just no main door) and am really looking forward to not hearing any more complaints from the tennants.

I thoroughly deserve it though! They were very pushy in getting into the house that weekend though

Now on to the next 1!!! :)

P.S sorry about the spelling/grammar, at work so wanted to get it out as quickly as possible

I was looking mid - late november which I told the tennants but they wanted 30th Oct so I agreed...stupid.
Have agreed to knock of some of the 1st and maybe 2nd weeks rent depending on how much the new doors come 2.

I wouldn't have given any discount. I would have reminded them about "mid - late November".

I thoroughly deserve it though! They were very pushy in getting into the house that weekend though

So they shouldn't be complaining that things aren't finished. Having said that, the only way you're probably going to EVER stop hearing complaints from the tenants is if you appoint a PM.

I wouldn't have given any discount. I would have reminded them about "mid - late November".

So they shouldn't be complaining that things aren't finished. Having said that, the only way you're probably going to EVER stop hearing complaints from the tenants is if you appoint a PM.

I did tell them though that everything should be finished before they move in

Once the doors and shower screen are finished it shouldnt be too bad. Had met them a couple of times previously and they seem like decent people. Will give it a go doing it myself and if things dont improve will look to get a PM. My partners parents manage 5 themselves relatively easily so getting a PM just seems like a waste of money

Sounds like you're going to get out of this very lightly. Allowing them to move in to a house without any security (ie no front door!) could have left you legally liable for loss of their possessions if they'd had a theft, and I'd think lacking a working toilet would probably be a breach of a whole raft of laws. :eek:

Please tell me you at least have a written lease, have collected and lodged a bond, and have had them sign a condition report?

should have said no, it difficult somtimes , but its probly the right thing to do,

BTW if you look realy hard in the unit their will be a stop **** in the unit, if there is not get the plumber ti install one , one of the water pipes will bring all water into the home , this is where you should place it , it will be either sink laundry or near the HW system, ;)

2 weeks ago had a call from a friend who said friends of a friend have just moved from Canberra and are looking for a place to rent.

My sister in law let me know that her work colleague who is a friend of a friend could be interested in renting my new ip. I dont know the guy. Dont know his character.

Anyway I told sis that I am employing a property manager and that he can view it when there are set viewing times held by my pm. He will then need to put in an application. I said to her that I'll keep him in mind. I think sis understood.

However I will choose the applicant the pm recommends/suggests to me. That is what they are good at and are paid for. I am not going to lease it to my sister in laws work friend just because he would like to live there. I have no idea how good a tenant he will be. Far too risky. He/she must have good references and a good history etc.

good luck with it, hope they are good people and do the right thing.

Wait until there is a problem. You will soon see the value of a PM.:eek:

Allowing them to move in to a house without any security (ie no front door!) could have left you legally liable for loss of their possessions if they'd had a theft, and I'd think lacking a working toilet would probably be a breach of a whole raft of laws. :eek:

Please tell me you at least have a written lease, have collected and lodged a bond, and have had them sign a condition report?

I am not going to lease it to my sister in laws work friend just because he would like to live there. I have no idea how good a tenant he will be. Far too risky. He/she must have good references and a good history etc.

And in a nutshell, you have THE two biggest problems right here. Property not habitable, and relying on a friend of a friend. THEN add the possibility of maybe no lease and bond.

I just hope you are lucky.

from your post, I think you probably have a fair idea of where you went wrong ;) So learn from your mistakes, fix them as best you can and then try not to repeat those same mistakes later on. Good luck.

I had someone who really wanted to rent the place because it is so nice but seems to have vanished ... she was chasing references from her current rental, says she owned her hosue for 17 years. Given the lack of prospective tenants (even at less than half the rent you'd expect for a house that size if it was 30km to the left) she was pretty much guaranteed the house even if she was a drug addled nightmare.

Meanwhile the REA is chasing someone who really wants to buy the place because it is so nice, since it is less than half the price of an equivalent house 30km to the left. We'll see who gets there first, if either.

Sounds like you're going to get out of this very lightly. Allowing them to move in to a house without any security (ie no front door!) could have left you legally liable for loss of their possessions if they'd had a theft, and I'd think lacking a working toilet would probably be a breach of a whole raft of laws. :eek:

Yes have a written lease, 4 weeks bond but no condition report :eek:

Have learnt a lot from the whole buying. renovating, leasing process so will hopefully improve when it comes to buying my next IP :)

Back