JV Strategy in Melb First timer

Hi all, It's my first time to JV and still learning so I apologies if I am asking obvious questions. I am reading and researching alot in this forum with its wealth of knowledge contributed by all the gurus and experts in investment!

Could anyone advise me on this JV strategy I have in place. Due to my circumstances I need to do a JV to get a head start in the property ladder.
I wonder if anyone have done some thing similar and what are the pros and cons in doing it.
It's an old neighbourhood of mine and I am planning to do a JV with a mate who owes the property.
It's a 700sq2 land with an existing house at the front. Its in an area in demand and properties in the area have been subdividing with houses sold for min $700k.
The plan initially was to Renovate the front house and my JV partner will keep it as his PPOR. Built a double story detached at the back with good quality finishing and we are looking at built around $350k. And sell the back house for $800k with profit share 50/50 after all expense have been deducted. Plus he gets a Renovated house which was part of the deal if we go ahead.

I have not done any feasibility study yet but just a rough estimation.
This strategy suits our situation as I have the serviceability( no equity) and he has the property to built with equity in it ( but low income). Because my JV partner owns the property, there is no purchase transaction, fees, stamp duty, etc involved for use to put out extra cost.

Can anyone share the pros but mainly the cons on what to be expecting in such JV? I intend to get everything in writing and get lawyers involved so it's iron clad. I remember reading in another forum to set it up as a unit trust so the unit trust can borrow on our behalf, if I understood it that way.

Lastly, for zoning under GRZ1 in Manningham, what is the maximum dwelling for a 700sqm? Can We built a duplex at the rear and strata to two titles? Trying to maximise the potential for this lot.

Thanks again in advance! Am quite excited in doing my first JV but I am a cautious person so any advise would be fantastic!! Cheers

Well, I believe this is something like a Joint Venture (unless there is another term for it?)

How? Good question. I haven't ask for any legal advice yet so I am not too sure the legal approach and nitty gritty details to it yet.
But Let me try to explain in a diff angel. Hopefully this makes some sense.
My mate wants to subdivide his property. It has enough equity as it's been paid off. Unfortunately, he has issues with serviceability due to unpredictable income. So he is is a predicament where he doesn't have funds to even subdivide.

That's where I come in. I take a loan to assist him to subdivide and by maximising this transaction, we will built on it and split 50/50 after deducting ALL incurring expenses Including subdivide costs, built and Reno cost, holding cost etc.
I think it's quite fair for all as he doesnt have to come up with any start up cost and the capital I contributed will be paid back to me/bank before the profit is split between us. Plus his current home is in need of a Reno so that cost will be deducted before profit is split.

Does it seem like this is impossible to do or will it be painstakingly achievable?

Thanks in advance!

Yes it would be possible - assuming you have your own source of funds or you could borrow using you own property as security.

But it could be very dangerous so make sure you get legal advice.

Thanks Terry. I am anticipating a lot of legality issues that can make things complicated.
However, when you say dangerous, can you give me some scenarios/examples I should be wary of? Cheers!

Thanks Terry. I am anticipating a lot of legality issues that can make things complicated.
However, when you say dangerous, can you give me some scenarios/examples I should be wary of? Cheers!

What could happen if he went
1. Bankrupt
2. died
3. into a coma
4. got divorce?

And the majority of people have more than the average number of legs. True.

Terry's list was sufficient but not exhaustive for the OP to consider.

Homer: "Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent. Forty percent of all people know that."

But these are very serious questions. What if the legal owner of the property died while the development was going on. A JV 'partner' would be left with a serious problem.

Back