Kakadu

Hi Everyone,

We're heading off on a road trip to Kakadu National Park, via Katherine - spending about 8days in the area. Has anyone else been? Have any recommendations or must-sees. We are camping, and travelling with a 4 and 2 yr old...

Cant wait to go.....

Cheers,
Nadia

If you can, also try to get across to Litchfield Park on the other side of Darwin. It has lots of fantastic waterfalls etc.
I went to Kakadu/ Litchfield many years ago, so I can't remember any of the place names I went to. But there is plenty to see!
I love Darwin as well. I think sunset on the beach, the Cyclone tracy museum, and just the general feel of the place are well worth visiting.
Oh, and when you are sick of camping and roughing it, i had a great haircut/ style at Stone Island salon in Darwin!! Best hair style I have ever had.
Pen

Hi Nards

We have done a road trip from Adelaide to Darwin via Katherine, Kakuda, Litchfiled etc etc. My one biggest reccomendation is make sure camping equipment is mozzie proof we camped at cooinda (yellow waters) in the back of an old landcruiser and the mozzies were hell. In the morning my wife wanted to count all the mozzie bites but stopped after 50 and that was just her feet ;-(

In Kakadu things to do would be nourlangie rock, Jim Jim and twin falls. If you cant get out to the falls you can get a flight over them from Jabaru.

Adelaide river crocodile cruise. They hang kangaroo tails over the boat and the crocs jum out of the water

Litchflied National Park

In Darwin we enjoyed Fishermans Warf when they have the food courts open, Mindel markets (must have something to eat from the road kill cafe), WW2 Tunnels and Fanny bay Goal plus heaps of other places.

So far it rates as my best holiday.

Have fun
Ian

I did the Lichfield and Kakadu tours - fantastic!! Lichfield tour is better than Kakadu tour IMHO. I didn't get to see Kathering Gorge so can't comment.
Also did a small plane 1 hour ride. You can't hear a bloody thing (recorded info that's coming through a set of headphones) over the noise of the engine but the view is fantastic and you'll see some views of waterfalls that you just can't see from the ground. You get to really appreciate the sheer size of the place from up there.
You must do a croc tour, but make sure you're in one of the bigger boats. One of the highlights of our croc tour was getting to see wild whistling kites - (quite a large eagle like looking bird) catching food on the wing that was thrown up in the air. There were 100's of them swooping and diving for the food - it was absoutely awesome. This feature wasn't advertised as part of the tour as it's not exactly part it - it's just evolved over time and the birds are now used to the feed.
The markets are great especially if you like Asian food, tropical fruit drinks and 'Bali' type clothes.
I have a friend up there who took me to all the historical places in the city and knew the history of it all - don't know if there's a tour for that or if you're into it (Government buildings etc).
Go to Aquascene at Doctors Gully to hand feed wild fish that come in certain times each day.
Visit the jail, museum & art gallery.
The oil storage tunnels is a bit of an unusual tourist attraction (http://www.darwintours.com.au/tours/ww2tunnels.html)
View a sunset from Mindle Beach or Fannie Bay
Have a beer at the open air bar on the beach near the boating club
There's a nice indoor rock climbing place if you're into that - made from one of the oil tanks to do with the oil tunnels left over from WWII mentioned above.
I found the Pearl Diving Museum interesting.
Can't remember the name of the place but they've done up an old bit of marina and there's a nice walk and eateries there now.
Catch a movie at the outdoor cinema - deckchairs provided.

I went Easter 2006 and the water was still quite high up. One boat tour I went on was of the marshes/swamps/lakes (can't think what it's called now). Every time you turned a bend it was a different scene. Lots of wildlife, water lilies etc. So peaceful & beautiful and a must see.

Darwin city is basically just 1 street - everything to see and do is ex city. If you are in the city the cheapest and 'best' eateries are near the backpackers place. You book the tours near there too.

Have a great time.
Olly

Well Ive lived in Darwin most of my life and I know of some top spots just quietly ;) yea Litchfield is great, can get busy during tourist season which is now but early morning and later afternoon is the best time to visit any of the waterholes as tourist buse's enter the area at around mid day and leave at around 4 o'clock each afternoon.
There are a few tracks that are usually desserted at most times but are a bit hechtic for walking with kids so I wont reccomend them, Kakadu is good, its quite a large area and theres lots to see, PS, The weather is absolutely marvellous right now, dry season's definitely here and its beautiful, expect blue skies every day, give me a PM if youd like to know anything more, cheers!

Back