Keperra, 9km Bris CBD Opinion?

Hi guys and gals,

What are you opinions on Keperra on Brisbane's North. I have been researching this suburb and think it's a goer but am interested in other peoples thoughts and opinions. At 9km from the CBD it seems well valued. Houses regularly seem to be in the low 400's... pretty good for a suburb that has two train stations.

The recent yearly median of 415/420 (realestate.com.au ANZ data) seems to be a fair bit lower than other suburbs in similar radii to the CBD.

I have asked quite a few Brisbane locals and they all seem to give me a blank "where is that" look when I ask them for their opinion.

Positives/Negatives are all much appreciated. New to this forum but there is some good info/feedback from what I have read recently.

Cheers,Joe

1) it's a slum - heaps of housing commission and low income
2) it has buckets of potential - but may take a while yet to be realised.
3) I live up the road so know it VERY well - has my interest but not just yet.

I know it very well too. And while it certainly has an over abundance of housing commission, to call it a slum, IMHO is over stating things. There are some newer pockets with good standards of housing and plenty of first home buyers renovating the old commission and army houses.

It has proximity to the city, good transport links, plenty of local shopping and sporting facilites (including a highly under rated golf course). You can probably still get a decent house for less than a new build further out at Upper Kedron where a vast amount of Brisbane's future land release is going to occur.

I agree with Urban Cowboy - heaps of potential.

yeah sorry - on reflection, slum is a bit harsh...I do a bit of social work in Keperra, so I deal with some of the worst of it... There are a couple of nicer pockets.

Yes it does have some housing commission houses but so do alot of other areas that most people don't know about... 'Kelvin Grove Village' is one that comes to mind.

My methodology is to progressively research city rings (distance to CBD) then narrow down undervalued suburbs based on median mismatches with comparative 'ring' suburbs. To me Keperra seems to fulfil much of this criteria but has good transport links and decent shopping. It is also at quite a discount to it's neighbouring suburbs.

Joe

I know Keperra very well too, and I live in Kelvin Grove (near the Urban Village with it's low cost housing).
Keperra - a slum. Hmmmm maybe a little harsh, but not too far from the truth. Hence the prices. Yes, good transport, yes good shopping, yes easy link to CBD, but I don't know, it's just not a great area. Think car bodies in front yards, hoons, umkepmt houses/yards, all kinda adds up to slum. It's never taken off, but maybe it's about to???? Who knows?
Having said that, the newer pocket of Keperra called "Kings Park" is certainly worth looking at IMO.

I have been doing some research here recently. I love the train stations and proximity to facilities and the CBD, there are some nicer pockets and houses.

Nothing inspiring about the physical location, it's a bit of a lower placed pocket and the surrounding hill that has been mined is not the nicest to look at. Like UC says there might be some social issues, but nothing that would scare me away as an investor if the numbers were good. It's a long way away from gentryifing with nice owner occupier reno's but that's reflected in the prices as has been noted.

A few days ago I was there and noticed some vandalized windows and a phone booth in the shops near Grovely station, had a kid of 12 or so do something objectionable to myself and other passing cars while his mate filmed, really I think it was just a bad hair day for this suburb as other times it's just been sleepy when I was there :)

How does it compare to the Logan area in terms of liveability, quality of tenants and safety?
Imo, they're worlds apart. Ok, some of the yards are a little untidy in Keperra, but I actually didn't notice the social problems (I've lived nearby and know people that do live there). My only quam is the trainline running through the guts.. so it's pretty hard to avoid the noise..

Imo, they're worlds apart. Ok, some of the yards are a little untidy in Keperra, but I actually didn't notice the social problems (I've lived nearby and know people that do live there). My only quam is the trainline running through the guts.. so it's pretty hard to avoid the noise..

Worlds apart as in a much better place to live? I haven't been to Keperra - only to Logan, so I'm trying to guage what it's like.

Yes, much better to live. Which is reflected in the price.. and due to the proximity to the CBD.

Maybe Brisbane people have a different definition of 'slum' to Sydney siders. Even Logan/Woodridge/Kingston looked and felt perfectly safe and a somewhat OK area to live in.

Maybe Brisbane people have a different definition of 'slum' to Sydney siders. Even Logan/Woodridge/Kingston looked and felt perfectly safe and a somewhat OK area to live in.
Agreed!

Spend enough time in a more exclusive suburb or area and everything can look poor in comparison.

Logan/Kingston is a dump and always will be. It is miles from town and is surrounded by suburbs that are cheap (all for the same reason IMO).

Look for areas that have the potential for change. Untidy lawns and cars out the front are a turn-off :- that's why 90% of people dismiss suburbs like this. At the end of the day location and facilities take precedent and those inhabitants get priced out.

In Brisbane's case (to keep on topic) New Farm and West End used to be undesirable places to live (drugs, crime, homelessness) and while this is still the case to some extent these areas have become 'çhic' because of their location.

Joe

Worlds apart as in a much better place to live? I haven't been to Keperra - only to Logan, so I'm trying to guage what it's like.

If you go, I'm sure you will agree that calling the area a "slum" is way over the top. It is a much nicer place than Logan.

I would buy in Keperra, but not sight unseen. It beats Kingston and Woodridge any day!
What makes it more appealing is that it has some nice neighbouring suburbs, like Ferny Grove and Arana Hills. Even Mitchelton has attractive pockets.
Lots of shops around and train service.

RK

I seriously can not believe what I am reading, especially people comparing North Brisbane suburbs to Logan. While Logan has improved dramatically, it is not even close to being in the same league as Keperra and surrounds.

PS. The link just above, is on Samford Road....stay FAR FAR away....heed the warning.

Back