Kit Home Development

Here's a strange question but I'll go ahead any way... I have a friend who has a business manufacturing kit home type houses. He can do a 2bdr house w/ carport installed on site in Sydney for $70k.

Just wondering if anyone's ever used a similar type home on development site, any objections from councils, what resale price they achieved etc.

If you could buy a ~1200sm block (say $90k/site) around St Marys/Mt Druitt and instead of putting 8 townhouses you drop 8 of these 'homes' ($70k each) your total cost is max. $180k per home. I would think resale price would be around $250k at least?

I'm not sure whether a duplex style development would be as viable. I had a quick look at realestate.com.au and it looks as though you're paying at least $360k for ~600sqm land so $180k per site + $70k build doesn't leave any profit..

Thoughts? Comments? Perhaps more viable for smaller sites in alternative areas where land costs are much lower?

Cheers

from what I have seen you would need to have a particular reason to go kit home as project builds are more competitive

sounds interesting
im guessing 70k does not include any of the approvals and certifying included?
and the size of a 2 bedroom house is about size of a granny flat?
if so not much new too that - im sure there are many people that can offer for the price

but please inbox/post up more details as i would be interested

very limited (or none) finance options for kit/relocatable/modular homes until they have a certificate of occupancy.

NHG had another thread where in Sydney West he placed a granny flat in the back yard (not sure if it's similar to this kit styled home), but bank valuer gave a $0 for this improvement because he believes it is somehow relocatable home. Something to watch out.

fair point, get a lump sum building contract for $70k all in and approval to actually build it and you would do well.
My contact manufactures them from scratch in bulk. He also has an in house town planner, so in terms of price it's very competitive. He can actually do them for $55k installed but I rounded up to $70k just to cover other contingencies etc etc.

NHG had another thread where in Sydney West he placed a granny flat in the back yard (not sure if it's similar to this kit styled home), but bank valuer gave a $0 for this improvement because he believes it is somehow relocatable home. Something to watch out.
Interesting point, thanks. Certainly something to keep in mind.

very limited (or none) finance options for kit/relocatable/modular homes until they have a certificate of occupancy.
Interesting point. Thank you.

My contact manufactures them from scratch in bulk. He also has an in house town planner, so in terms of price it's very competitive. He can actually do them for $55k installed but I rounded up to $70k just to cover other contingencies etc etc.

The materials must be costing him about $1! but anyway if he can do that for you, great.

These things arnt granny flats , it's just a different method of building

The materials cost stuff all

If you have standard plans, efficient lAbour and good supply contacts then these figures would be doable

If they are going to build them for you then you should have no trouble getting a loan

I would also love a quote from your contact please for building a prefab kit mpodular type home

How did you go with doing it in the end and can you please tell me more about the costs and time it takes please and end result and the extra costs after what they do

Sounds great if they have an in hour town planner to help .Does he help you get approval and understand what the council allows and what rules they might bend?

Is that common for prefab kit modular companies to have in house town planners to help with this.

Did you hve to find your own
builder, electrics, plumbing, flooring, tiles, or what was included and what wasnt please.

do anyone else have experience to answer some of these questions please or know of reputable companies and how price really compares with getting a builder.

The time saved means one can move in faster or rent it out faster which is a big plus.

Back