Kitchen benchtop ideas please

Hi there.

We are buying a house and the kitchen benchtop has a gouge out of it, in between the sink and the edge of the bench. It is probably about 1 1/2 inches across and not too deep.

I don't imagine it could be repaired, but thought that I had read something in the forum about replacing the laminex (not the whole benchtops) with a new sheet and gluing it on. I've just spent ages using the search, but can't find anything.

I did, out of curiosity, get a quote from a kitchen place, but they said that they would replace the benchtops for about $2500. No money left for that idea just now, but I will still get a few more quotes along this line, for the future.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestion, please? The kitchen is about 2.5m x 2.5m if that's relevant.

Thanks.

ps. I'm one of those "opposites of" a renovator.

yes you can re laminate but you must do the whole bench and it must be a square edge not round. if its near the sink and you have room you could cut a block of wood out the same lenth as the sink approx 450 x 300 and make up a chopping board to fit in there flush with the bench it looks good and is practical and cheep. :)

Hi sctpc

Thankyou very much for your reply. I love the idea of a wooden block in the laminate benchtop. These benches have a wooden edging around, so I guess they would be okay then.

Do you know if you 'simply' remove the coloured part of the existing laminate benchtop, or do you glue the new bit over the top? My thoughts about gluing it over, were that there would be a problem with the new height regarding the edge of the sink. Also, what about the risk of breaking tiles on the splashback?

Am I right in assuming that a kitchen place would be where you get the laminate from and installed by?

Thank you for your help.

Hi phm,

Assuming it is a square edge bench there may be hope.
If you loosen the clips at the front of the sink so as to raise it a few mill you could cut out a piece of laminate just short of the length of the sink. It is possible there is already a join somewhere in front of the sink.....there will be one somewhere. Cut it with a laminate scriber then carefully (not too hot) iron the laminate until the glue softens and you can lift the damaged piece out.
Then take the piece to your local (hopefully friendly) benchtop postformer and ask him if he has any offcuts that match.
Get enough for two goes........:)
While you are there produce your vegemite jar and ask him for some contact glue to glue the new piece in.
then it is simply a case of carefully cutting the piece to fit, when it is close to the right size use a file or sanding block to get it exactly to size.
Then apply glue to both surfaces, wait for it to become touch dry and .............good luck!
Remember contact glue adheres ON CONTACT!
$20 should be the total material cost......sounds better than $2,500

rossv

no mark out were you will put the chopping block drill down to the depth of the block get a router around the outline and chisell out the rest of the bench get a natral silicone and glue and seal in the block it should be flush but seal the block with olive oil so it dont swell up

or alternatively install tiles instaed of the wooden chopping block. Use as a place to put hot pots etc...
what ever fits the situation.

Pyrex Cutting Board

Hiya

I have also seen a pyrex type glass used as a cutting board that was installed into the bench top. It has a stainless steel surround about 25mm wide so this will tend to hide a badly cut bench top. This top will be very hygenic and the pyrex can handle hot and cold cooking pots etc. Your friendly kitchen maker will be able to point you in the right direction, but my guess is that is should cost somewhere in the vicinity of $150-200.

Pedro

Back