Kitchen - flat pack or cabinet maker?

Has anyone used a cabinet maker for an IP reno instead of installing a flatpack?

Have read somewhere that a cabinet maker can do a better quality kitchen for around the same price as a flat pack, is this really the case?

I imagine I'd have to design the kitchen first and then have a couple of quotes so they're all quoting the same thing.

Thanks

Has anyone used a cabinet maker for an IP reno instead of installing a flatpack?

Have read somewhere that a cabinet maker can do a better quality kitchen for around the same price as a flat pack, is this really the case?

I imagine I'd have to design the kitchen first and then have a couple of quotes so they're all quoting the same thing.

Thanks

When I did my ikea kitchen I installed it myself and got a cabinet maker to install and cut the laminate bench top.

He said for the price of the ikea kitchen they could make it and install it for the same price $3Kish.

I'm going to be checking out some cabinet makers to do my current kitchen.

I'd be skeptical that a joiner could build a custom kitchen (with the same whistles & bells) as a flat pack.

The custom kitchen comes with scribers, special sized cupboards where necessary, end panels etc & upmarket ones will add on the soft-close, adjustable shelves, wire racks for plates/pans/cutlery...... as opposed to the alternative.

I have a friend who is a cabinet maker and he says he gets quite a few calls to install flat packs once the owner has failed particularly in older houses. When walls arent 100% square things get tricky. Once his cost is added the cheap flat pack costs more than a custome build.

if you can install it yourself it is definately a costs saving but if you have to call in a cabinet maker to install it will cost you more.

I have a friend who is a cabinet maker and he says he gets quite a few calls to install flat packs once the owner has failed particularly in older houses. When walls arent 100% square things get tricky. Once his cost is added the cheap flat pack costs more than a custome build.

if you can install it yourself it is definately a costs saving but if you have to call in a cabinet maker to install it will cost you more.

this all comes down to the buyers "handyness" for want of a better word .
there are some people that just shouldnt under any circumstances be allowed near any renovation jobs and there are other people that simply breeze through without missing a beat .the trick is to realise your own capabilities BEFORE taking on the job.
as for the custom built kitchen against the flat pack it all comes down to where you buy your flat pack kitchen .
bunnings and ikea have their place but only if its a simply layout without any curly ones thrown in to the mix .thats where the custom made flatpacks come into their own ,some of the flatpack manufacturers can accomodate different sizes and materials and any site requirements needed,some cant/wont just depends on who you call/email.
no advertising just plain advice take it as you like.:D

normal installers flat pack would cost $800 - 1K to set it up + $600 electrician and $600 for the plumber plus extra if you need to move plumbing or gas points around.

Back